A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leafy Lace Cardi (2 images) ***Now with extra sizes***  (Read 40573 times)
Tags for this thread: cardigan , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soobeeoz
« on: June 30, 2007 07:27:33 PM »

This is my latest FO.  The yarn is stash Rowan Cotton Glace, stitch is Leafy Lace, design is my own.  

Thank you for looking.   Smiley  

Sorry about the cool smiley face in the instructions.  I didn't put it there, honestly, and I can't get rid of it.  Obviously it should read Cool.   Um, is the numeral eight the shortcut for a cool smiley?  

This is the orginal pattern which should fit a 32 or small 34.  Please scroll to end for sizes 34, 36 & 38 with slightly more ease.  If anyone finds any mistakes please let me know so I can amend the pattern.  Thanks.   Smiley  

LEAFY LACE CARDI

***Please refer to notes at end of pattern before starting***

Finished measurements, measured flat and buttoned:

Across body at underarms, 17"
Ridged Eyelet Border measured across, 15 1/2"
Shoulder to sleeve cuff, 13 1/2"
Shoulder to hem, 19"
Ribbed waist hem length, 3 1/2"
Sleeve cuff hem length, 1 3/4"

Yarn and Button requirements:

I used Rowan Cotton Glace which is 100% cotton and knits to a recommended tension of 23 sts and 32 rows to 10cm (4") on 3.25 - 3.75mm (US #3 - 5) needles.  I'm not sure how much yarn I used but it was around 7 or 8 balls (I'm pretty sure it was 7), each being approximately 115 metres (125 yds) in length.  6 buttons, or more or less as preferred.

Needle requirements:

1 pair of 3mm (*no US equivalent, use #2 or #3*) and 1 pair of 3.5mm (#4) needles.  Use circulars if preferred.

Gauge:

26 sts and 29 rows to 4", unblocked, in Leafy Lace stitch on 3.5mm (#4) needles.

Leafy Lace Pattern
(Multiple of 10 + 1)

***Note: KB1 = Knit into back of stitch***
***         PB1 = Purl into back of stitch ***

1) (right side) KB1, *p9, KB1; rep from * to end.

2) P1, *k9, p1; rep from * to end.

Rep the last 2 rows once more.

5) KB1, *p2, p2tog, yon, KB1, yfrn, p2tog, p2, KB1; rep from * to end.

6) P1, *k4, PB1, k4, p1; rep from * to end.

7) KB1, *p1, p2tog, yon, [KB1] 3 times, yfrn, p2tog, p1, KB1; rep from * to end.

Cool P1, *k3, [PB1] 3 times, k3, p1; rep from * to end.

9) KB1, *p2tog, yon, [KB1] 5 times, yfrn, p2tog, KB1; rep from * to end.

10) P1, *k2, [PB1] 5 times, k2, p1; rep from * to end.

11) KB1, *p1, yon, [KB1] twice, sl 1, k2tog, psso, [KB1] twice, yfrn, p1, KB1, rep from * to end.

12) As 10th row.

13) KB1, *p2, yon, KB1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, KB1, yfrn, p2, KB1; rep from * to end.

14) As 8th row.

15) KB1, *p3, yon, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yfrn, p3, KB1, rep from * to end.

16) As 6th row.

Rep these 16 rows.  

Ridged Eyelet Border
(Multiple of 2 + 1)

1st, 2nd and 3rd rows: Knit.

4th row (wrong side): *p2tog, yrn; rep from * to last st, p1.

5th, 6th and 7th rows: Knit.  

8th row: Purl.

Back:

Using 3mm needles, cast on 97 sts.  Work in k1, p1 rib for 3 1/2 inches (see note 1 at end of pattern), ending on WS row, and increasing 4 stitches evenly across this row.

(***Read note 2 at end of pattern before continuing***)  

Change to 3.5mm needles and knit Ridged Eyelet Border.  

Start Leafy Lace pattern.  Knit to desired length (mine is around 11 1/2 inches, including ribbing), ending on a WS rows, then shape armholes as follows: Bind off 5 sts at beginning of next 2 rows, then decrease 1st st at each end of every following alternate row 6 times, to 79 sts.  Work even until armhole measures approximately 7 3/4 inches, or desired length, ending on a WS row.  

Shape shoulders by binding off 11 sts at beginning of next 4 rows.  Bind off remaining 35 sts, loosely.  

Right Front:  

Using 3mm needles, cast on 47 stitches.  Work in K1, P1 rib until length matches that of back ribbing, increasing four stitches evenly across last WS row giving a total of 51 sts.

Change to 3.5mm needles and knit Ridged Eyelet Border.

Start Leafy Lace pattern working until front measures back to beginning of armhole shaping, then decrease for armhole as on back: 5 sts once (on WS row), then 1 st on same end of every alternate row, 6 times.  ***At the same time,*** start shaping the neck by decreasing 1 st at neck edge of next row, then 1 st at same edge of every following 3rd row 10 times (you should now have 29 sts), then 1 st at same edge every following 2nd row 7 times, to 22 sts.  (***It's a good idea to mark the beginning of the neck shaping with scrap yarn so as to make it easier to place the button holes later ***)  If necessary, work straight until armhole measures same as that of back, then shape shoulder as for back.  

Left Front:

Work same as right front, reversing shaping.

Sleeves:

Using 3mm needles, cast on 48 sts.  Work in K1, P1 rib for 1 3/4 inches, or desired length, increasing three stitches evenly across last wrong side row to 51 sts.  

Change to 3.5mm needles and commence Leafy Lace pattern, increasing 1 st at each end of every 7th row 7 times, to 65 stitches.  If necessary, work even until sleeve is 8 inches long (or desired length), excluding ribbing, ending on a WS row.  Shape cap by binding off 5 sts at the beginning of the next 2 rows, then dec 1 st at each end of every following 2nd row 5 times (you should now have 45 sts left), 1 st at each end of every 3rd row 2 times (41 sts left), then 1 st at each end of every 2nd row 10 times.  Bind off remaining 21 sts, loosely.

Finishing:

Block pieces using preferred method, and sew in loose ends.  

Join shoulder seams.  

With right side of work facing, using 3mm needles and starting at lower right front, pick up and knit 92 stitches along front edge to shoulder, 27 stitches across back of neck, and 92 stitches down left front edge to bottom of ribbed band.  (See note 3 at end of pattern)  Work two rows K1, P1 rib.  Make button holes on the next row in desired position, marking opposite side of band to indicate where buttons will go.  (See note 4 at end of pattern)  Work a further 3 rows K1, P1 rib.  Bind off.  Attach buttons.

Set in sleeves, and sew sleeve and side seams.  

Make a twisted cord to thread through eyelets at waist.  I found I had to start with far more yarn than when using wool, and ended up using four lengths of yarn, each 160 inches long.  Alternatively, make an I-cord, crochet cord or thread ribbon through the eyelets.

Pattern notes:

1) When I designed this I had in mind wearing it over a summer dress.  Those wanting to wear it with a skirt or pants might like to add two or three inches to the ribbing, and if desired lengthen the ribbing on the sleeves proportionately.  

2) I went from ribbing straight into the Ridged Eyelet Border.  It looks fine, however if you'd like a mirrored image try knitting a couple of rows of stockinette after the ribbing and before commencing the Ridged Eyelet Border.  

3) Depending upon the length of your cardigan, you may need to pick up more or less stitches.  

4) I used 6 buttons, with the last one being attached just below the Ridged Eyelet Border.  The band doesn't gape even with all of the buttons done up but I doubt I'll wear it that way, so less buttons would have worked.  A button can also be attached a 1/2 an inch or so above the hem line if desired.

***The one stitch discrepancy between front and back is to keep the stitch count consistent throughout the lace pattern***

These instructions are for the Leafy Lace Cardi in sizes 34, 36 & 38
with a little more ease than the original size 34.  Please note they
haven't been test knitted.  As with the original the cardigan will be
slim fitting.  To allow for a full pattern repeat in some sizes it was
necessary to incorporate more increases in the first row after the
sleeve cuff.  This should look fine, but if you think it looks too
gathered or blousy try starting the cuffs with a few more stitches.

Due to the ten stitch pattern repeat I had to decide whether to add
or omit a pattern repeat for some sizes, so finished measurements
are approximate.

Please read notes at end of pattern before starting.

Leafy Lace Cardi

Sizes
34", 36", 38" inch bust

Finished measurements
Bust: 35", 37", 39"
Length: 21", 21 1/4", 21 3/4"
Sleeve length from underarm to cuff: 12 1/2", 12 1/2", 12 3/4"
Ribbed Waist Hem length: 4", 4", 4 1/2"
Sleeve cuff hem length: 2", 2", 2 1/4"

Gauge
26 sts and 29 rows to 4", unblocked on 3.5mm (#4) needles

Yarn, needle & button requirements
I used Rowan Cotton Glace which is 100% cotton, and knits to a recommended tension of 23 sts and 32 rows to 10cm (4") on 3.25 - 3.75mm (US #3 - 5) needle.  I used 7 to 8 balls (I'm pretty sure it was 7) to make my original size 34, each being approximately 115 metres (125 yds) in length.  An extra ball or two might be required for the larger sizes.  1 pair of 3mm (*no US equivalent, use #2 or #3) and 1 pair of 3.5mm (#4) needles.  Use circulars if preferred.  6 buttons, more or less as preferred.  

Leafy Lace Pattern
(Multiple of 10 + 1)

***Note: KB1 = Knit into back of stitch***
***         PB1 = Purl into back of stitch***

1) (right side) KB1, *p9, KB1; rep from * to end.

2) P1, *k9, p1; rep from * to end.

Rep the last 2 rows once more.

5) KB1, *p2, p2tog, yon, KB1, yfrn, p2tog, p2, KB1; rep from * to end.

6) P1, *k4, PB1, k4, p1; rep from * to end.

7) KB1, *p1, p2tog, yon, [KB1] 3 times, yfrn, p2tog, p1, KB1; rep from * to end.

Cool P1, *k3, [PB1] 3 times, k3, p1; rep from * to end.

9) KB1, *p2tog, yon, [KB1] 5 times, yfrn, p2tog, KB1; rep from * to end.

10) P1, *k2, [PB1] 5 times, k2, p1; rep from * to end.

11) KB1, *p1, yon, [KB1] twice, sl 1, k2tog, psso, [KB1] twice, yfrn, p1, KB1, rep from * to end.

12) As 10th row.

13) KB1, *p2, yon, KB1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, KB1, yfrn, p2, KB1; rep from * to end.

14) As 8th row.

15) KB1, *p3, yon, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yfrn, p3, KB1, rep from * to end.

16) As 6th row.

Rep these 16 rows.  

Ridged Eyelet Border
(Multiple of 2 + 1)

1st, 2nd and 3rd rows: Knit.

4th row (wrong side): *p2tog, yrn; rep from * to last st, p1.

5th, 6th and 7th rows: Knit.  

8th row: Purl.

Back:

Using 3mm needles, cast on 107 (119, 127) stitches.  Work in k1, p1 rib for 4 (4, 4 1/2) inches (see pattern note 1 at end of pattern), ending on a WS row and increasing 4 (2, 4) stitches evenly across this row.

(***Read note 2 at end of pattern before continuing***)

Change to 3.5mm needles and knit Ridged Eyelet Border, once.

Start Leafy Lace pattern.  Work without shaping to desired length to underarm, ending on a WS row.  (Mine is around 11 1/2" including the ribbing, and I ended on a full pattern repeat.  I've calculated these sizes to be approximately 12 1/2, (12 1/2, 13") at this point, but of course you can make yours whatever length you like.)

Armholes:

Bind off 6, 7, 7 sts at beg of next 2 rows,  then decrease 1st at ea end of every alt row 6 (9, 13) times to 87 (89, 91 sts).  Work straight until armhole measures approximately 7 3/4 (8, Cool inches or desired length, ending on a WS row.

Shoulders:

All sizes, bind off 8 stitches at the beginning of next 4 rows, then 8 (8, 9) stitches at beginning of following 2 rows to 39 (41, 41) sts.  All sizes, bind off remaining sts loosely.

Right Front:

Using 3mm needles, cast on 49 (57, 59) sts.  Work in K1, P1 rib until length matches that of back ribbing, increasing 2 (4, 2) sts evenly across last WS row to a total of 51 (61, 61) sts.    

Change to 3.5mm needles and knit Ridged Eyelet Border, once.

Start Leafy Lace pattern working straight until right front measures same as back to beginning of armhole shaping, then decrease at armhole edge as for back, binding off 6 (7, 7) sts once, then decreasing 1 st at same edge of every following alternate row 6 (9, 13) times.  At the same time, all sizes start shaping the neck by decreasing 1 st at neck edge of next row, then dec 1 st at same edge of every 3 (2, 3) rows 3 (4, 5) times (you should now have
35 (40, 35 sts) then dec 1st every 4 (3, 4) rows 11 (16, 10) times to 24 (24, 25) stitches.  (*It's a good idea to mark the beginning of the neck shaping with scrap yarn so as to make it easier to place the button holes later***)  If necessary, work straight until armhole measures same as that of back, then
shape shoulders as for back by binding off 8 (8, Cool sts at shoulder edge of next row, 8 sts at same edge of following alternate row, then 8 (8, 9) sts at beg of following alt row.

Left Front:

Work same as right front, reversing shaping.

Sleeves:

Using 3mm needles, cast on 51 (53, 55) sts.  Work in K1, P1 ribbing until work measures 2 (2, 2 1/4") or desired length, increasing 0 (8, 6) sts on last WS row to 51 (61, 61) sts.

Change to 3.5mm needles and commence Leafy Lace pattern, increasing 1 st at each end of every 6 (7, 7) rows 12 (1, 9) times, then inc 1 st at ea end of every 0 (8, Cool rows 0 (8, 1) times.  You should now have 75 (79, 81) sts.  Work without shaping until sleeve measures 12 1/2 (12 1/2, 12 3/4) inches, or desired length, including ribbing.  Shape cap by binding off 6 (7, 7) sts at
beg of the next two rows.  You should now have 63 (65, 67) sts remaining.  Dec 1 st at ea end of every following alt row 19 (18, 21) times, then dec 1 st at ea end of every 3 rows 0 (2, 0) times.  All sizes, loosely bind off remaining 25 stitches.

Finishing:

Block pieces using preferred method, and sew in any loose ends.

Join shoulder seams.

With right side of work facing, using 3mm needles and starting at lower right front, pick up and knit approximately three stitches for every four rows along front edge to shoulder, across back of neck, and down left front edge to bottom of ribbed band.  (For my original size 34 which is slightly shorter  
I picked up 92 stitches along each front and 27 stitches across the back of the neck.)  Work two rows K1, P1, rib.  (See note 3 at end of pattern)  Make button holes on right front of next row in desired position, marking opposite side of band (now or later) to indicate where buttons will go.  Work a further
3 rows K1, P1 rib.  Bind off all stitches.  Attach buttons.

Set in sleeves, sew sleeve and side seams.

Make a twisted cord to thread through eyelets at waist, or make an I-cord, crocheted cord or thread ribbon through the eyelets.

Pattern notes:

1) When I designed this I had in mind wearing it over a summer dress.  Those wanting to wear it with a skirt or pants might like to add two or three inches to the waist ribbing, and if desired lengthen the ribbing on the sleeves
proportionately.

2)  I went from ribbing straight into the Ridged Eyelet Border.  It looks fine, however if you'd like a mirrored image try knitting a couple of rows of stockinette after the ribbing and before commencing the Ridged Eyelet Border.

3)  I used 6 buttons, attaching the last one just below the Ridged Eyelet Border.  The band doesn't gape even with all the buttons worn closed, but I doubt I'd wear it that way so less buttons at the top could be used.  A button can also be attached 1/2 an inch or so above the hem line if desired.

This 34" pattern is closer to a true 34 than the original one I made for myself, but it will still be close fitting.  To avoid disappointment, I recommend you make a swatch and calculate your required finished measurement to be sure the cardigan will fit.  If more ease is required, try using thicker yarn and larger needles.

***I realised after finishing this that I worked the KB1s by knitting into the back of the stitch, but I just purled the PB1s.  It looks fine and I probably saved myself a lot of time and anguish.***  

I've done my best to make sure the pattern will work, but please keep in mind I am not a professional designer.  Feel free to email me with any questions and I'll help if I can.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009 03:01:58 AM by soobeeoz - Reason: added additional gauge info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
BeadHead
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007 07:30:25 PM »

that looks awesome! the buttons match perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burst
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007 07:35:52 PM »

It's so beautiful! I love it. You're really talented -- I can barely knit a scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join a group blog for sewers, knitters and crocheters at http://www.mustmakemore.blogspot.com
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007 08:00:16 PM »

Simply beautiful in a refined, elegant way!

Would you be adverse to writing a pattern? Or possibly just giving us a few nudging hints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
eatyerhartout
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007 08:48:24 PM »

Wow! That is so beautiful! You did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
milkmaid01
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007 09:37:37 PM »

what a great fit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lillizzyl
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007 10:04:30 PM »

wow, great job!  i like it alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carebear4890
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007 11:41:49 PM »

wow, this is incredably beautiful! it must have taken ages...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zia
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007 03:10:10 AM »

It's so beautiful Susan, and it's the perfect shade of blue.  Yum.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klement
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007 03:27:19 AM »

I would totally buy the pattern if you decided to write one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Recipe: Peanut Sauce
How to Make Vietnamese Soft Shell Crab
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Make Miso Glazed Chicken Wings
How to Make Burmese Melon Salad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...