A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Paypal and Only Selling One of an Item  (Read 1464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dylan
« on: November 23, 2004 09:14:08 PM »

Hey I have a question. I just signed up for pay pal and I am setting up my shopping cart. How do you make it so that only one person can buy a certain item. So... like how do you make it so that a certain item can only be sold once. Thanks for your help. - Dylan
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 11:04:40 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stajdaml
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004 10:07:25 AM »

dylan,
make sure to give each item it's own item number when making your buttons. this is supposed to prevent people from being able to buy sold items or multiple items. it's what i do, and i haven't had any problems yet. also, if you use the paypal wizard in golive, there is a checkbox which asks if you want to allow more than one of an item to be sold.
i honestly don't know that this works, i've never asked if anyone has tried to buy more than one of my items.
i just try to keep up with my sold items and i remove the paypal buttons as soon as possible.
melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
http://www.iloveaprilfool.com
cookiemonster
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004 06:37:34 AM »

thanks! i have been wondering about that too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Vintage Sewing Goodies*~*
Ooh! Vintage
www.oohvintage.etsy.com

Blog: http://www.oohvintage.blogspot.com/
Sarzy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006 02:50:01 PM »

Is there a feature in PayPal that will remove the add to cart button and mark and item as sold once it has been bought? This is because all my items will be unique and so if two people pay for the same item I will have trouble on my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purdy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006 12:54:17 PM »

In short answer -- no.
The only way to get Paypal to do something like this is to put everything in a database and use extensive backend scripting to have it remove items that have "0" on hand. I design websites for a living and I even gave up trying to get this to work.

The basic thing you'll need to convince yourself is that the chances of enough people coming to your site in such a short period of time to buy the same item before you have a chance to remove it is extremely slim for now. If it does happen, most people buying diy products will understand. It's simple to refund money with Paypal and then you just send a nicely worded email to the later buyer and they should understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bustown Modern
Mid-century modern furniture, lighting, housewares,
clothing and art.

http://www.bustownmodern.com
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006 02:57:31 PM »

Ditto to the above.  It took me forever to get a response from them but that is just what it is.  I would think they would offer that feature since so many people use their service so maybe in the future.  I think Purdy is correct in saying it is slim to none when you are first starting that this will happen so until you can get another service working for you with Paypal, do what you do now and take the chance that people will understand.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spitkitten
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006 11:23:41 AM »

I want to build a site for my jewelry, using paypal as a payment source.
BUT, most of my stuff is one-of-a-kind, and I need it to disappear off my site when it is purchased (so it isn't still up for sale), which paypal's cart won't do (I have to pull it off manually, which I can do, but I am worried about time overlap--if person A buys something, then person B buys the same thing before I have had time to pull it).
I don't really want to screw with a big ecom package like zencart or oscommerce for just that inventory control functionality if I don't have to. Does anyone here know of or use any smaller, easier shopping carts or programs I can implement and intergrate with my site and paypal that would do that for me?

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006 12:41:10 PM »

You could look into Yahoo Business? They have the ability to setup ecommerce for your shop... You'd have to have some sort of merchant account with your bank though with all kinds of IDs hooked into it that Yahoo could verify though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
artNcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008 08:47:04 PM »

Hi,
I want to sell items on my website but I was wondering if any of you use paypal and can tell me how it works once something is purchased.  I know they are transfered to a paypal site to do the payment but what happens to the item posted on your website?  Do you have an option for it to say "sold" automatically?  Or does it stay on the site with the price until you manually take it off or enter "sold".  I'm asking mostly about one of a kind items because I'd hate to sell something but it appears as it is still for sale and some one else 'buys' it but it has already been sold.  I hope this scenario makes sense.  Any wisdom on this concern would be great! 
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008 06:18:01 AM »

I think it really depends not just on paypal but your checkout system as a whole. I had a website that would so Sold automatically, and one that would not. It was years ago so I can't remember the difference, I think one had ecart or something???

Hopefully someone else can tell you more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...