A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone ever taught an ATC class?  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 30, 2007 09:16:31 AM »

In the midst of getting unpacked and settled, I have signed on to teach an intro to ATCs at the local craft store in Sept/Oct. Has anyone ever done this, or taught any other classes, for that matter? Or taken a class and have it really suck (knowing what NOT to do is as important as knowing what to do!). I have some ideas, but just thought I would check my resources to see what words of wisdom might be floating around out there  Wink! The long term goal is to generate enough interest so that we can do quarterly get-togethers for swapping and learning from each other.

Thanks, in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FishStikks
Member of the Papercraft Gang

"My Heart Rat Norman"

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007 09:29:10 AM »

I'm very interested in the responses you get on this as well. I've never seen any ATC classes offered anywhere around here and thought about doing them myself.
I notice that you are in southern Utah. Hmmm, maybe not too far from me in Vegas and maybe I should just drive up there and attend yours.
How exciting to be able to try and get a monthly group get together. Can you tell I'm a tad jealous?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's Me...Babs!!
My Flick'r Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishstikks/
My Blog http://fishstikks.blogspot.com/
My etsy: http://www.Fishstikks.etsy.com
My Sketchbook Project Theme: I'm a Scavenger
Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007 09:53:20 AM »

I notice that you are in southern Utah. Hmmm, maybe not too far from me in Vegas and maybe I should just drive up there and attend yours.
How exciting to be able to try and get a monthly group get together.

I will keep you posted on how it goes! I am about 2.5 hours from Vegas (I know because that is the closest Barnes and Noble!!! My daughter and I will be making the trip periodically). The coordinator at the store was quite excited about it, and has some contacts with some local artists that she is going to try to get involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007 12:30:56 PM »

My first full time job was at a large craft store (this was back when Michaels was a florist only, if anyone else remembers that). Besides being paid to learn new crafts- I had to teach what I learned. I loved that job Grin   

No atcs then, but I found that when I loved to do what I was teaching I had fun teaching it and everything went good A lot of people returned often to show me their latest, ask advise, get ideas, tell me tricks they discovered, sign up for more classes... (humm ...kind of like craftster but on land? )

So, if I was teaching an atc class, I would, naturally start with tools and basic techniques but stress with all my might the individual creative aspect  of them. I always try to get interested people  to realize that 'yes they can'  If they are taking the class it is safe to assume they  are interested    Cultivating the joy of making atc's will generate the kind of interest you want for future get-togethers

Yea... I miss that job.   There is my two cents worth! Good luck Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007 12:33:14 PM by meanderingartist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007 03:19:14 PM »

Selise and OY have taught classes at the schools they work for. You might PM them.

I think taking recycled items with you would incourage more pp to try it.  Like cut up your cereal boxes and such for backers. Show the inexpensive aspect first, lol.  Also take your collections with you to show the VARIOUS mediums that can be used.  I always feel like a failure when I try to duplicate someone elses work. Like knitting or getting my hair styled, lol. Instead of trying to show many techniques, I'd keep it to 1 or 2.  That way you get asked back!

and that's all I can say on the 'sub-ject'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007 04:38:03 PM »

colorful, it may be interesting to talk about the history of ATCs a little, too.  I found some interesting stuff about artists way back when making small works of their art to pass on to prospective buyers.  I am not sure where I read that but I bet you can search the internet.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007 08:28:51 AM »

quote author=meanderingartist link=topic=180099.msg1871824#msg1871824 date=1183231856]
Besides being paid to learn new crafts- I had to teach what I learned. I loved that job Grin   
[/quote]

Can you say "Green with Envy", followed by "Dream Job"!

Thanks for all the ideas ... it is going to be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007 03:58:47 PM »

Can I come?Huh
The one thing I've learned from classes I have been to is to be prepared and know how complicated what you are making is. I went to a scrapbooking class that was too much for an evening and I had to leave before it was done because it wound up lasting till after 11 that night and never did get to finish it! Having some of the things cut in advance might have helped a lot for that class. Also remember that what is easy for you is not always easy for someone else!  Okay. I know I talk too much, I was just very disappointed in that class.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007 11:57:42 AM »

Thanks for the comments, Kaleesi. The two things you mentioned are the things that I have the tendency of being most guilty of, so you are a nice reminder to keep myself in check! I tend to overplan what is actually doable in a period of time, and I often forget how confusing or difficult something was the first time I tried it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007 12:10:49 PM »

Glad I could be of some help  Grin
When I used to teach VBS and crafts at church I learned alot. There would be some that would finish immediately and some couldn't finish without you standing over them helping them the whole time. I used  to try to have a second project stashed away for the quick crafters or have them to help the slow ones.  Having a helper can be a bonus too!

Just have fun and they will too! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get A Bump In Your Ponytail
How to Get a Low Ponytail with an Extreme Side Part
3 Simple Tricks to Hide Your Roots
Great Homecoming Hair Styles For Cheap
How to Add Vintage Glamour to Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...