A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am about to take the plunge...nm, I did it! Woohoo!  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2007 08:59:01 AM »

Thats it ladies.  I'm fed up with renting!  I'm going to buy myself a wheel.  I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 and I need some help deciding.  I need a portable wheel because I'm always on the go, but I want a wheel that is still somewhat substantial. 

I've ruled out the Louet Victoria because I'm sort of tallish, and I think that its just too teeny.  Otherwise, I'm very tempted.

I have nearly ruled out the Majacraft Little Gem.  I love Majacrafts and that very handy delta orifice (plus I first learned to wheel-spin on one), but I'm not too crazy about the ratios.  I like to spin thin, and I'm not so sure 12:1 will do it for me.  And again, orifice height plays a role.  i just feel more comfortable with a higher orifice. 

So I'm left with my last 2 favorites, the Kromski Sonata and the Lendrum.  Neither have a delta orifice, but the Lendrum Complete comes with a 7/8' diameter orifice.  Its a great height, and I love the sliding flyer hooks (just like the maja's).  It kind of sucks that it doesn't come with an attached lazy kate tho.   I've tried this one out and absolutely loved it.  I almost didnt' mind that the orifice wasn't delta.  The only thing that gets me is the strange angle it sits at.  while i'm sitting there I don't notice it.  But when I step away, there it is, tilting oddly.  I'm just wondering if that will bug me if its in my living room.

I have yet to try the Sonata, but I can definitely say that I love how it looks.  Its nice and tall and comes with an attached lazy kate.  This is a feature I really appreciate because I have young kiddos.  And the ratios are ok, but I hear that there will soon be faster flyers, which is a plus in my book. 

Well, can you help me?  I can't say that price isn't an issue, but I do want to get just the right wheel, and will shell out a little more if need be to get it. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007 06:49:23 AM by betzi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 08:09:59 AM »

Never mind! 

I decided on the Lendrum (complete, DT).  The complete package has everything I want all at once:  nice big orifice, high speeds and a big ol bobbin!  As for the leaning, I doubt it will bother me once its here, in all its glory.  Now I just need to figure out who will ship it to me the fastest! 

EEEK!  I can't wait I can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007 08:37:51 AM »

The lendrum is what Ive picked out, as well... if only, if only. Im trying to convince my mother and boyfriend and dad that they should all throw in and buy it for me for christmas. Or my birthday, since thats sooner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 01:23:01 PM »

LMBO I'm glad you decided.
-
The lendrum is what Ive picked out, as well... if only, if only. Im trying to convince my mother and boyfriend and dad that they should all throw in and buy it for me for christmas. Or my birthday, since thats sooner.
Maybe we could write letters to your family telling them how much better it'd be if they'd all chip in and get you something you'd treasure! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007 01:23:56 PM »

Perfect idea! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007 06:48:50 AM »

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!  I ordered my spinning wheel this morning from the Woolery!  They said they could ship it as early as today to be here on Wednesday, but we won't be here  Cry  .  Stupid vacation!  But they said they could put the order on hold unitl Thursday and it will be here on Monday, when we are back for certain. 

OMG I almost own a wheel!

You know Vanillaxlight, I thought my husband would have a cow--no, a whole herd--when I told him I was going to buy a wheel.  But you know what?  He said something to the effect of "well we're already shelling out for the rental.  might as well buy one at those rates!"  So maybe if you rent a wheel for extended periods of time your family will cave!  lol.  I was stunned that DH said yes!

when is your birthday, btw?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

agengr2004
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007 07:47:58 AM »

The Lendrum is a very nice wheel.  If I ever get a second wheel, it's at the top of my list.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007 06:35:55 PM »

My birthday is in September. I asked both my mom and my boyfriend to chip in some money for a wheel for christmas. now I've just got to tell the rest of my family!

Im renting a louet for $6?/ month, so at that rate I can rent for quite some time before it would have been more worth it to just buy one. But! Im trying out the lendrum at the local fiber festival. Im almost certain it's what I'll be getting.

Congrats on your wheel! Im so excited for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007 09:26:09 PM »

$6 a month!?!!  holy crap!  My rate is $8/week.  You can imagine that it adds up quickly.  You've got a good thing going there!   and yeah, I guess that puts the whole owning-is-cheaper argument to rest.

What i'm most excited about is that I will never ever ever have to give back my wheel.  its mine, all mine!  (insert evil laugh here).  I don't need to worry about ordering craploads of fiber all at once so that it will arrive at the same time i am renting my wheel.  ah bliss! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow Marinated Salmon With a Soy-Ginger Glaze
How to Make Salmon and Pink Rice Sushi
How to Make Salmon and Quail Egg Sushi
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
How to Make Temptura Prawn Sushi Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...