A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The most beginner-ist beginner that ever there was.  (Read 1427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: June 29, 2007 06:56:35 PM »

I did a search for "beginner", and I looked through a bit of the posts at the top, and they seemed helpful, but I also seem to be a lot more clueless than anyone else starting out Tongue

There is some reeeeally amazing work here and on the spur of the moment, I've decided that I might like to try to teach myself embroidery. Now, my knowledge of embroidery stretches about as far as knowing it involves some kind of needle (it does, right?). I'm just wondering, what are the basic supplies? I've gathered you need some kind of thread/floss, a hoop, some kind of needle, but I don't really know what kind of these things, how much to get, how much they cost etc. And do I need some kind of pen or something to get the patterns on? Or backing card? Should I get a book for it or just try and learn online? Please bear with me, it's nearly 3am here Tongue

I live in Ireland and one of those Sublime Stitch-It Kits would be about 26 ($35) from Amazon...does that sound reasonable or should I search out my own supplies instead?

Oh, and out of the three needlework-type crafts here, is there any one that's particularly easier or something for a beginner? Since spending the past week on Craftster (seriously, non-stop) I've basically decided I want to try everything here... Grin (I give myself a week)

Thanks a million for any help and I do apologise for any silliness and early-morning rambling   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Immaculata
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007 01:45:39 AM »

E26 would be a lot for me... depends on your budget, really.

The most easy way to start is to get an old sheet and cut off a piece that's big enough for your hoop. You can buy as many different colours of thread as you want, but of course you only really need one colour to start. There are several known brands, if I were you I would just pick the one they sell at the local crafts store. There's not much difference in quality.

You need a needle, in the shop they can also advice you about that, I usually use a size 24 or a size 26 but I know these are quite big for embroidery. You can often buy packs with different sizes of needles, that would be a good idea: then you can find out which needle you prefer.

The pattern: you can buy iron on patterns, but you can also draw your own patterns or transfer patterns you've found in books or printed from the internet. There's a lot of ways to transfer a pattern: I myself usually just use a 2H pencil, but there are also special transfer pens and you can also use carbon paper. Those are the easiest ones, I think you can found more about this in other questions.

Now, the embroidery itself. You can search for someone who can learn you, but it sounds like you don't know anyone who does embroidery. You can use a book, the internet, whatever you prefer. I've found a lot of embroidery books in the local library, and I buy a lot of them in a secondhand book shop in here (prices vary from E0.50 to E2 in that place..) It doesn't matter how stupid and old the book looks, it's about how good they explain the stitches.

Most people start out with counted cross stitch but that's really  something else than embroidery so I wouldn't recommend it to start with. If you've done some embroidery you'll find out that counted cross stitch is really, really easy.

I hope this helped for a bit, if you have any questions, just ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007 04:43:27 AM »

I have nothing to add about the stitching as Immaculata's response is terrific, but if you want a stitch it kit, you can get them cheaper through the Book Depository (no affiliation, friends have recommended it).  It is 9.97 with free worldwide shipping there, so that is about 14.80 in euros.  Here is the link if you are interested:http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=0811843211
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
sirensrising
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007 06:10:38 AM »

Thanks so much for all the help, Immaculata, I really appreciate it! It helped a lot.

I think what I'll do is have a search around for basic supplies in the shops here, and see how much it would all add up to - then I can see whether or not it's worth it, or if I should just buy the Stitch-It Kit to start with. And a big thank you for the link NewLeodensian! That's great, because 26 is a lot for me too.

I can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
NewLeodensian
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007 01:54:04 PM »

You are welcome for the link. I like how the site compares it to the Amazon price, plus free shipping is always a bonus!

Can't wait to see what you make Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
sirensrising
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007 11:54:59 AM »

My Stitch-It Kit came today! Thanks again for the link and the kindness  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Immaculata
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 03:11:00 AM »

That kit does look great!

What is it like? Are the patterns nice?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007 07:41:27 PM »

I can't wait to see what you make. If I remember correctly they have some cute patterns in there. Cherries, hula girl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007 07:00:17 AM »

That kit does look great!

What is it like? Are the patterns nice?  Smiley
I like the kit. A lot of the pattens are very simple, for beginners, but that also means they're open to interpretation. Plus, each one of them can be used a few times (7 or 9, I can't remember  Tongue ) which is always a plus! There's a full list of them here: http://www.sublimestitching.com/stitchpatterns.html
and there might be some of them in action on the Sublime Stitching board. I haven't tried any of them yet (I'm too lazy to get the iron out  Tongue We don't do ironing in my house) and I've been a bit more preoccupied with trying to get other things (like Potterpuffs and other dorky miscellany, it's Potter season heh) onto shirts but there are definitely some really cool ones there that I'm really looking forward to trying!

So far my stitches are all pretty yucky (and I just don't even try the chain stitch anymore  Wink ) but I'm looking forward to getting a cheap t-shirt and starting on something I'm really excited about  Smiley

Thanks for all the support!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My artwork at Etsy!
Immaculata
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007 10:11:17 AM »

The site says they can be used 8 times Smiley

The kit looks really great, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. Obviously your Potter projects are more important, there's only 9 days left!

It took me a while to learn the chain stitch, and some days I completely forget how I can stitch them. They do look really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables Sauce
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry: How to Fry Rempah and Cook Chicken
How to Marinate Beef for Beef Bulgogi
How to Cook and Serve Beef Bulgogi
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...