A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with sewing machine.  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ihatemyusername

I <3 Personal Swaps

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2007 01:54:12 PM »

I have a singer. Dont know what kind though. its a new one kinda. A few years old. The bottom stitch is falling out and the top stitch is loose. I keep sewing on scraps of fabric but it's not working. There is thread on both spools top and bottom. When I pull the fabric to cut the thread it's coming loose. Can anyone help me at all?

If this is in the wrong place sorry I didn't know where to post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me Promote You if you have an etsy shop
More info can be found here--http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5206630
ihatemyusername

I <3 Personal Swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007 02:02:48 PM »

Now the top stich is starting to knot i guess? But its just not working. lol.. I want to know what i can fix to make it work. Could it be the stich lenght or anything like that? Or do i need to take it into a shop and get it fixed. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More info can be found here--http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5206630
cdraz
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007 08:17:11 AM »

It could be different things...you probably don't need to take it in.
Check to make sure that the top thread is threaded thru everything properly...............then you can make sure the bobbin thread was done right...........also change the needle and make sure it is sharp or new...........after that you will have to mess with your tension....do you have a manual?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderblock
astral adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 01:34:38 PM »

you probaly need to fix your tension/stitch length/stitch
it might not be all of them but it probaly is one of them most likely tension
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
The 3rd Eye
"they sell us love as divinity, but it's only a social obsenity, underneath they're all lovable."
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007 02:37:42 PM »

I'm thinking 2 separate problems.
1) Loose loopy stitches are a tension issue (or lack thereof). Top tension is a wheel or knob somewhere with completely arbitrary numbers on it, go down to get tighter.

Bottom tension is a bit trickier because it's that tiny screw directly in the bobbin casing, the one that holds that little piece to the outside that you slide the thread through when you put a bobbin in.

** To adjust your bobbin case tension use a small  screwdriver to tighten or loosen that little screw 1/4 turn at a time- a very small amount! If you try picking up the whole bobbin & case assembly by the thread & the whole thing unwinds like a yo-yo, it's too loose. If you pick it up and can bounce it without the bobbin & bobbin case sliding down the thread at all, it's too tight. Ideally it'll hold untill you bounce it- how hard you have to do that & what is ideal for your machine varies greatly.

2) Lack of the threads interlocking properly can be strictly wonky tension, but it could be a mechanical issue as well. My machine does this when it gets very dirty.

EDIT!! Start by turning your machine off! Start by cleaning the whole area in & around where your bobbin casing sits. Get the screwdriver, remove the plate around the dogfeet & pull out the bit the bobbin case sits in (these often sit by gravity or have a simple slide to hold them in place- pay attention to how it was sitting- they only fit one way!). Clean that piece and where it sits, as well as anything else you can reach. Manually turn the machine a few cranks to get all the nooks & crannies.

I keep some cosmetic q-tips on hand for this, they have a pointy end that is great for the little nooks & crannies, but regular ones are good too. Make sure you don't leave any fluff behind.

The gunk you pull out will likely be dark oily lint- if it's not oily this is bad! Oil that machine! Rub it hard between your fingers to test if it looks dry. This gunk will stain light colors too, make sure you clean your whole table afterwards.

Re-assemble & test on a scrap. If you oiled sew a lot of scrap, like all over a fat quartersized piece to assure any drips get absorbed,  do turns and back & forth a lot. Blobs of lint you didn't see will appear in your stitches when you test, don't worry- that's why you use the scrap : )

This seems like a lot of work for not much "adjustment", but it often makes all the difference in the world. If you sew a lot of anything that gives off a high ratio of lint (fur, felt, fleece, woolie-fluffy-things) you will need to do this more often. Opening it up & looking at the lint will let you know what items you sew that gunk up your machine faster and thus what is going to require cleaning-after-use.

I can now do this in about ten minutes- first time around it shouldn't be more than thirty unless you forget how the bit that holds the bobbin went in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdraz
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 05:35:20 AM »

Good explanation about adjusting the tension....I know HOW to do it but couldn't describe it as well as you!  Hope she helped ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ihatemyusername

I <3 Personal Swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007 07:21:07 PM »

oh you did. thank you. ive been outta town and just got back and read this. thanks for your help guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Collaboration Between Designers and Science
Paola Antonelli on Forces That Shaped Humanity Most
Paola Antonelli on Features of Designs
The Advantages of Print Cartoons Over Animation
The Cultural Importance of the New Yorker Cover Illustrations
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...