A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lace cami with tut!  (Read 6563 times)
Tags for this thread: cami , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maritime Fibreista
« on: June 29, 2007 09:26:14 AM »

This started out as a remake of a Honeymoon Cami that I had made a couple of years ago in a silk-angora mix yarn (which then proceeded to grow well beyond the rhelm of decency).  Then I thought of changing a bit here... and ended up with something that bore no relation to the HC except the triangle pieces at the top!

For anyone who happens to have a bust size in the 35-36" range, and a yarn and needle combo to give them 7.5 sts/inch (non-springy yarn like cotton or silk) or ~6.5 sts/inch (springy - gives a final measurement 2" smaller for a body-hugging tank), I can give you an exact pattern (for everyone else, a generic tutorial follows the *****):

CO 216 sts on a circular needle, join being careful not to twist, place marker for beginning of round.  Knit one row.

Feather and fan lace pattern repeat:  row 1: [k2tog] 4 times, [YO, k1] 8 times, [SSK] 4 times (repeat until you've hit the beginning of the round again)
row 2: knit
row 3: knit
row 4: knit

Repeat 4 rows of F&F lace for 10" of length.  Note that the lace gives a tighter gauge than the stockinette, but it stretches.

Switch to stockinette (knit all rounds) for 4".

Shape underarms and V at the same time (the number of stitches is different, and the fact that I do the V neck at the same time as the underarms, but the method is the same as the honeymoon cami, which most certainly has better directions!):

Starting 4 stitches away from the beginning of the round, bind off 8 stitches (first underarm).  K1, K2tog, K44, SSK, K1 (have reached centre front, 48 sts from underarm bind off) - TURN (working first triangle).  Purl all stitches back to underarm.
Continue decreasing one stitch on each side of triangle, on each right side, purling wrong sides, until down to 4 stitches.  Put remaining 4 stitches on a holder.

Go back to the remaining body stitches, start new yarn at the centre front, K1, K2tog, K44, SSK, K1, and continue in the same way as with the previous triangle.

Go back to the remaining body stitches, bind off 8 for the other under arm.  Continue as before for third triangle, but when you reach the last 4 stitches, keep going with a 4 stitch I-cord - try about 8" at first.

Continue as before for the last triangle, making I-cord at the end of this one too.  Try on the cami and figure out the best length for the I-cord straps.  Graft the straps to the back triangles.

Generic Tutorial!

1. Pick your yarn, test your gauge.

2. For a springy yarn (ie wool blends and acrylic) take your bust measurement, subtract ~2" and figure out how many stitches you need at your gauge.  For non-springy yarns, subtract 5".

3. I used a 24 stitch repeat feather and fan lace pattern (8x3).  F&F can be done with any even number X3, but smaller repeats will give narrower columns.  Find the number of repeats you need to get close to the number of stitches you came up with in point (2) (In the above case, 9 repeats of a 24 stitch pattern gave me 216 stitches, which was about 6" smaller than my bust - since I knew my yarn would grow, I was fine with that!  Larger gauge yarn will have fewer repeats and much less stitches).

4. CO the # stitches you determined in (3).  Knit one row.  Knit in lace pattern (for example  row 1: [k2tog] 4 times, [yo, k1] 8 times, [ssk] 4 times, row 2-4: knit)  (you can do [k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [ssk] 3 times, instead, etc) for 10"

5. Knit every row for 4"

6. Sort out the division of stitches for underarms and triangles.  Your underarm bind off should be around 1", and the number of stitches in each triangle should be even.  Therefore the number of cast-on stitches, subtract 2" of stitches, divided by 4 should be an even number - if it's not, fudge the underarm bind-off numbers until it is Wink

7. Proceed around the body, starting with binding off the underarm stitches for one side, and knitting each triangle by decreasing one stitch one each side, each right side row until you get down to 4 stitches.   Bind off second underarm, and make other side the same.  Add I-cord straps to the ends of the front two triangles, try on the cami for strap length, and graft straps to back.  (more detailed explanation above, even more detailed explanation over on Knitty for the Honeymoon Cami!).

Let me know if you want more clarification - I've just rediscovered that simple things in your head are really difficult to explain in writing!!

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mari_13

I knit...therefore I am

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007 09:28:25 AM »

Beautiful cami - thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007 09:29:39 AM »

Wow, it's beautiful!! Thanks so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calla lily
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007 09:35:51 AM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007 10:36:09 AM »

That yarn is fabulous (and so is your FO!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
kimski
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007 12:56:51 PM »

It's beautiful, thanks for sharing the pattern. Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leila1015
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007 05:03:39 PM »

I love it. Thanks for the pattern.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crocodisle
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007 06:26:46 PM »

This is gorgeous, thanks so much for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
Huhwhat?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007 07:20:05 AM »

Very pretty! F&F is one of my fave stitches. Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zia
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007 07:55:20 AM »

I love it - thanks so much for the tutorial! 

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Motion Picture Animation
Drawing Rosettes Part 1
Interlocking Poses for Deep Stretches
The Magic of Puppetry
How to make a Chocolate Vodka Martini
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...