A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreaming of a Purple ZEBRA (a desk) bunch-o-pics  (Read 16242 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thekster
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007 06:04:21 AM »

First I must comment on your puppy - he's so cute!! I squealed with joy when I saw him.
Now, when I saw the desk in it's original state, I have to admit I didn't care for it much. When I saw the finished desk, I fell in love with it!
I would love to do something like that for my sewing desk, but I won't have room for a desk for at least a year (if we buy a house when we get married.)
You all did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
hello color!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007 08:50:33 AM »

Omigod that is so freakin awesome! Even if you found something like that ready made for hundreds of dollars, it still wouldn't have been nearly as cool because it wouldn't have had history. Now, it's like you have a zebra pet! And the pictures you took are like its baby pictures. Aww... Smiley

It's so awesome that you got to work on it with your bf. Mine doesn't care for that kinda stuff, so it wouldn't have been nearly as fun :\

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that handle goes so well with the desk! Nicefind Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007 08:57:34 AM by hello summer! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ArmyOfMe

It should be raining

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007 12:20:20 PM »

!! Thanks so much you guys. It makes our hard work even more worth it to hear you all liked it so much. Craftster, you're my best friend  Kiss hehe

hello summer!, It was definitely worth it doing it ourselves. I love crafty boys!! Cheesy

thekster, Tito says thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007 04:50:45 PM »

Very cool!

I'd use either polycrylic or polyurethane to seal it. Polyurethane is a little more durable but super stinky and messy to clean up. Polycrylic is water based so clean up is easy and it's not as noxious but you'd have to do at least two coats of it, if not 3 on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
bronzfrog
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007 05:08:42 PM »

WOW, that desk is awesome!    Shocked
I love zebra stripes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.ets y.com
ArmyOfMe

It should be raining

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007 05:30:44 PM »

Very cool!

I'd use either polycrylic or polyurethane to seal it. Polyurethane is a little more durable but super stinky and messy to clean up. Polycrylic is water based so clean up is easy and it's not as noxious but you'd have to do at least two coats of it, if not 3 on the top.

Thanks so much! I was hoping someone would suggest a sealer. Polycrylic sounds good, even if we have to coat it a few times. We'll probably be working inside so something that isnt stinky is better Wink Do they have a spray on? Or is it better to brush it on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007 08:48:35 PM »

I haven't seen polycylic in a spray but I don't know that I've really looked either. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

Get up, dress up, show up, and don't give up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007 11:42:03 PM »

yeah, i was going to suggest going to lowes or home depot and asking them about sealants. Also you could some of those stick on pads that go under furniture for your sewing machine. i don't know where you can buy them but i used to work at peir 1 and we had them. it seems like they were almost 2 inches in diameter and about an inch thick (they have smaller ones too) just go in there and say you bought something recently and need the little floor pads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArmyOfMe

It should be raining

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007 01:50:13 PM »

yeah, i was going to suggest going to lowes or home depot and asking them about sealants. Also you could some of those stick on pads that go under furniture for your sewing machine. i don't know where you can buy them but i used to work at peir 1 and we had them. it seems like they were almost 2 inches in diameter and about an inch thick (they have smaller ones too) just go in there and say you bought something recently and need the little floor pads.

That wouldnt be a bad idea, I just checked my sewing machine and it has little rubber feet, but the smooth velvety ones would be better incase it decides to glide Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lethaldread
horror+crafty= me!

Idle Hands are a .....eh you know what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007 04:59:20 PM »

Very cool!

Thanks so much! I was hoping someone would suggest a sealer. Polycrylic sounds good, even if we have to coat it a few times. We'll probably be working inside so something that isnt stinky is better Wink Do they have a spray on? Or is it better to brush it on?

Use polycrylic fo'sho. I use only that when I make all the pin up tables me and ash use, there is a aerosol spray can version you can buy for about 12 bucks for about 8 or 10 ounces i think at Wal*Mart. I haven't used it yet, but plan to on my next one. For my tables I use about 30 or 40 coats before Iam satisfied that it is entirely even, but since it is just paint you shouldn't need any more than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Origins of Tintin
How to Create a Phenakistoscope
Supervillain Origins: Electro
How to Clean Oil Paint Off Paintbrushes
Supervillain Origins: The Riddler
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...