A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions for the consumer.  (Read 576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katalina
« on: December 02, 2004 01:40:53 PM »

I have a few questions for consumers of handmade materials.  My friend and I are starting our own business next year (only a month away Wink) and I would like to get some opinions.

1) Do you prefer to buy from a nicely designed website, rather than one not so nicely designed? 

2) What shopping cart do you prefer to use when buying from a website?

3) Do you like flat rate shipping fee's (such as $2 for every $20 bought) or one that is customized based on what is being shipped and how far its being shipped?

4) Is it important that a site be international rather than only taking orders in their own country?

5) Would you buy from a website that you just saw for the first time, or would you rather buy from a website that your friend or someone you know bought from?

6) Is having contact with people/customer support important with smaller scale websites?  Such as a 1800 number?

Thats all I can think of for now.  I really appreciate any feedback from this Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004 02:30:28 PM »

1) Let me put it this way: I'm more likely to spend more time / return to a well-designed site, but as long as the photos and info are good I could buy from either.

3) I like cheap shipping fees. Whatever is less expensive!

4) It's important that you take orders in my country. As long as you ship to the USA, I don't care.

5) It wouldn't matter. Good reviews don't hurt, I suppose.

Good Luck! PM me when you get your site up!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004 03:03:37 PM »

1)  Yeah, the better the design, the longer i'll browse the site, the more apt i am to buy

2)I don't really like paypal, but whatevers easier for you i guess

3)  I hate flat shipping rates...lol.  b/c what if you buy something for $5 and its like $5 to hip, that kinda sucks. i think it should depend on the weight of the package and how far its going.

4)I think international focus would allow for more bussiness for you

5)  If i really liked the product and the layout, and thought it was legit, i'd buy from it even if it was the first time.  maybe you can set up something for repeat customers or customers that refer someone, like a free gift or a discount or something.

6)  I dont think you'd need a 1-800 #, just an email address, but make sure you answer the emails b/c people always remeber bad customer service.  Maybe if you put up a faq page?

Good luck with your site, and let us know when its up and running!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
sweethelena

Red shoes are hot.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004 05:27:28 PM »

1) Do you prefer to buy from a nicely designed website, rather than one not so nicely designed? 

I like a well-designed website that is user friendly and provides complete information. It gives off a professional appearance, and I'm less worried about never getting my stuff!

I've really started to like PayPal. Otherwise, any shopping cart that is fairly inconspicuous and easy to use. (That is - you don't even pay attention to the brand because it was so easy!)

3) Do you like flat rate shipping fee's (such as $2 for every $20 bought) or one that is customized based on what is being shipped and how far its being shipped?

I like a fee scale that is based on price - i.e. "$2 for the first item, $1 for each additional" - or something like that. As long as it doesn't require too much thought!

4) Is it important that a site be international rather than only taking orders in their own country?

I think it depends on the country - Since I live in the US, I almost never run into sites that won't ship here. But I'd probably get frustrated if I lived in another country was always running into American websites that only ship in the US.

5) Would you buy from a website that you just saw for the first time, or would you rather buy from a website that your friend or someone you know bought from?

I buy from sites I'm not familiar with on a regular basis. As long as the products are unique and you seem to run a professional business, no recommendation is needed!

6) Is having contact with people/customer support important with smaller scale websites?  Such as a 1800 number?

I think krazigal's right - an FAQ page is quite important, and should take care of most customer service-type questions. Otherwise, e-mail should suffice. The cost of an 800 number would probably far outweigh the benefits!

Hope this helps! Good luck with your launch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004 02:01:58 AM »

oh yes. it says something about the creator, that they care about their products.

paypal -  i trust this!

i think a flat rate is good. simpler and easier to use and understand.

hmmm...i think in big countries such as the USA, no....but for smaller countries like the UK, yes. simply because there's not a massive market for handcrafted stuff in the UK, as much as there is in the USA.

I'd buy from somewhere that I'd seen for the first time, bearing in mind they had a proffesional atomsphere to their site.

I think it's important to have contact, as you may feel it's just a scam or whatever. but personally, i think an email address is enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katalina
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004 04:17:48 PM »

Thanks so much everyone!  The feedback you've provided is very important Smiley  I want to make my website as user friendly as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Classic Sugar Cookies With Royal Icing
5-Minute Fudge Wreath
Heather Bertinelli’s Peanut Brittle
Heather Bertinelli’s Dark Chocolate Truffles
How to Make Peach Cobbler in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...