A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the dreaded 'S' word  (Read 5432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2007 03:45:47 PM »

This is an excellent thread!  I really like what I'm reading.

I have a little Craftster game that I like to play when I'm feeling brain dead.  I go to the bottom of the home page where the "Memebers Currently Online" section is.  I close my eyes and randomly click on a members name.  I check out their profile to see if they have an Etsy.  If they do I check it out.  Because Etsy is SO huge, I use this as a way to check out new shops.  I love to support my fellow Craftsters, and sometimes this is a way to do it.  Lots of us have Etsy's, some are empty and some are full.  Lots of us (Craftster members) are out there pushing our wares.  I think A LOT of us sell and I think it's great! 

Anywho, I'm a little off topic.

What I did want to add on the topic of selling is this.  I completely understand why the rules around selling/advertising exist.  100%  No quandries here.

But I would never ever discourage someone from posting a FO and also saying that they sold it.  As an extreme beginner in the art of selling, I am SO darn proud when I have a customer that I want to shout it out!  And when I'm sharing my great news with others; either through email, in person, or on Craftster, I am in NO way mentioning it in hopes of gaining another sale.  I'm just really proud of myself.  And I think that's congruent with the feeling you get when you finish a project.  Not the same, but along the same lines.  It's a great thing to finish something and be proud of it.  But it's also really cool when someone else likes your work enough to fork over some cash.   

Ha, sorry....I guess I'm the girl that goes to the Stitch and Bitch and is all "Yo!  I sold my scarf!  Isn't that rad?!!  I'm not the only one that likes my work!"

That's my 2 cents.  Am I alone in this?  Cause I'll totally stand proud.  Me and my 10 bucks from my sold scarf;)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2007 04:52:12 PM »

coming forward to admit I thought this was a thread about cussing....*blush*

I think that the mods, and everyone for the most part do a really great job....I may not be of popular opinion here, but shouldn't any kind of 'bashing' or whatever word you want to use, be directed to some admin, or something, instead out in the public board? Is there really a need for bringing down morale by speaking (typing) negatively about someone, especially when they are doing their job here for free (and are of the up most kind has been my experience).

From day one I have always messed up, I have posted threads on the wrong section of the boards. I didnt mean to, but I seem to always do that at least once per week....(or more I guess). And do you know, I have never ever had one of the mods or admin to complain to me in the least? They have never even said a word to me, and in fact have gone out of the way to be nice to me as I tried to learn my way around, and even now when I'm trying to learn how to knit.

I would  be terribly disappointed if this site turned even more commercial than what it already is..some ads cant be avoided if you want to run a site effectively....but PLEASE dont turn this into a site that advertises someones esty or whatever. I never have purchased anything from any of them, and honestly I never would. Not anything against the work they do, I'm sure they work hard & everything but I feel my money can be better spent trying to learn to do it myself here just for the joy of GIVING it away to someone I love.

I would hate for someone that is cruising around the boards to see complaints of any kind about anyone here. I sure wish there could be a way to at least make a complaint privately w/o so much 'outing' to those involved.

IF we all try to remember that most people here are here for sharing, and learning, and teaching & growing & there are very few that are here for other reasons. And I like that.

I like that so many of our mods work hard here a lot of the time, without getting a dime, and very few posts of thanks. I have always been of the opinion that for every negative thing there should be 1000 positive things expressed as well.......are we not an understanding society that 'gets' people have bad days, bad hair days, bad craft days, and days where NOTHING I mean NOTHING goes right?? Can we not look past, or ignore something that isn't just perfect? I think that we can because we certainly hope for that understanding from others.

I am a rebel. I will continue to praise our mods for the hard workers they are. I am not bad, but sometimes I type that way. I never worry about correct forms of language because I simply refuse to 'color inside those lines' of what some people may expect. I am simply me & whats wrong with that?

my, I'm rambling. Sorry. I just hate to read ANOTHER one of these and feel so bad for those mods that come here just wanting to help us & feel rained on by someone.

I know I am not the only one that has glowing thoughts on our mods. I sure would love to have a thread about our mods & their great work to offset the others........

stepping off soap box now, trying to remember to use the spell check.........
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 05:01:28 PM by bruisinraincloud - Reason: running to show support for our mods! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2007 06:35:40 PM »

Totally!  The MOD's do a fantastic job.  And all for the love of Craftster!  Sweet sweet Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2007 07:00:05 PM »

Thanks for all the love Scatter Kincaid and bruisinraincloud! I know it sounds corny but when craftsters post kind words it means a lot.

I would hate for someone that is cruising around the boards to see complaints of any kind about anyone here. I sure wish there could be a way to at least make a complaint privately w/o so much 'outing' to those involved.

We really do try to discourage that kind of thing and if its too bad we edit it... but then we get fussed at for restricting their freedom of speech. Oy!

I think that expressing your opinion (even if it goes against the grain) is fan-freaking-tastic. Maybe its just because I watched SiCKO today, but craftster is here for all the members and if everyone really wants to see a new feature or disagrees with a rule, voice it! We do listen, even if we dont agree Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007 06:53:24 PM »

I understand wanting to brag about selling something.And the folks on craftster may be own only outlet to share that.A lot of us craft on our own,our families smile indulgently,but don't understand. I would probably hear either 1) "what's an etsy?" , or 2) "you spent all evening on that wonder woman necklace ,but couldn't mow your grass?"(Well, my daughter would be impressed,but she's 11!) And even as nice as just posting a pic and getting compliments is,nothing says vindication like a total stranger giving you their cold,hard earned cash.That's  Sally Field at the academy awards going "you like me! you really like me!"Then  you KNOW someone appreciates your stuff,and is not just throwing you a compliment to be encouraging.That being said...
   I totally agree with not  mentioning you sell stuff. Totally. I'd look in your signature for an etsy,or I'd pm you asking if you'd consider selling one. I like how we're a mix of shy craft virgins,full of questions,and seasoned pros with advice. I love not feeling like I'm not the only one who doesn't know something,that I can ask without being made to feel like a dork. I love seeing what the experts do-it's awe inspiring! I love seeing even non experts come up with an ingenious twist on something that has us all going-wow,I never thought of that!
So even though a lot of the "look what I sold" is innocent,I know it has no place here. It would take over,and we'd be known as Hucksters instead of Craftsters.Not fair,but sometimes there are no perfect solutions.
Sorry for the lenght of this post,and I absolutely mean no offense to anyone here. YOU MODERATORS ROCK!!!!! THANK YOU!!Thanks for all the time you give,to make this the warmest, welcoming,most fun place to hang out ever.
Oh, and the wonder woman necklaces rocked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2007 09:47:28 AM »

It is so nice to see intelligent, respectful conversation from all the craftsters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimski
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007 04:04:17 PM »

This post breaks my heart a little bit, to tell you the truth.

Big hugs to vanillaxlight and all the mods. You just can't please all the people all the time. It's an impossible task. There will always be people complaining.

Craftster is awesome.

The mod on the board I frequent sometimes makes changes that I don't like. I've never said anything, but it's easy to forget that these people are working unpaid, and sometimes decisions need to be made. We get all this for free... Great lay out, easy use, cool community, a gazillion free tips, tutes and ideas.

Anyway, thanks to all the mods for all you do. Thanks to all the people who make the awesome tutes.

I love craftster. *getting teary*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimski
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007 04:11:05 PM »

lothruin and thebon - Most of the photos I've seen of stuff on here appear to be for products people are selling... and the less-than-stellar photos are not things for sale. 

I think you must frequent different boards to the ones I frequent.

Come over to the knitting board and make that statement and I'm sure you'll get a lot of people laughting.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2007 04:12:05 PM »

Kimski, its people like you who make us mods want to keep going! Thank you so much for your kind words. I know i definitely appreciate knowing that there are people who care! I love craftster, too, and I want to keep loving it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
kimski
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2007 04:44:55 PM »

I understand wanting to brag about selling something.And the folks on craftster may be own only outlet to share that.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I checked the front page of craftster, and there apperars to be two whole sections where you can discuss selling, "Crafty Business Advice", and "Opportunities for crafters".

!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jamie McGuire Gives Aspiring Authors Advice
10 Questions for Elizabeth Gilbert
Gourmet Made Simple Cookbook by Gena Knox
One Out of Ten People in Iceland Will Publish a Book
Lynda Obst on Pre-Awareness and Sequels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...