A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Manly-MAN Scarf  (Read 2665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymodster
« on: November 23, 2004 12:10:03 PM »

My holiday knitting frenzy spawned this manly-ish scarf!

I'm a tad bit pleased with myself on how it turned out (which is very unusual...Me?  Happy with a project?):

Here's one more....a closer view at the stripe-age:

This was completely simple & was cool to see the stripes stripe in a vertical direction.
I wanted something that looked manly like for my step-pop, thus my color choices.

This is what I did (fyi):

Yarn:  Brown Sheeps' 'Lamb's Pride', Worsted.  Four skeins in assorted colors.
Needles: 11US...circs are best due to the size.
The Easy-Breezy Info: I basically Cast On 200 stitches (fairly relaxed/not tight).  Knit every row (garter).  I did a random stripe pattern mixing up my four colors, knitting 2 rows 1 color, then knitting 4 rows the next color, 2, 4, 2, 4, etc...  I ended up knitting approximately 50 rows, then binding off, which gave me a total width of about 8-1/2", length = approx. 64".

Of course, you can choose ANY color(s), do ANY random stripe pattern you can think of, and make the total width smaller (or larger if you want, but I thought mine turned out to be as wide as I would actually want a scarf to ever be.  That's just me), cast on less/more stitches, etc & etc.

It turned out fairly soft, which I adore, as former Lamb's Pride scarves I've knit up seemed a bit stiff.

That's it.  I'm done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
zephren
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004 12:12:22 PM »

Ive always wondered how theses scarves are done.... so you knit them longways, instead of shortways. .... does that even make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymodster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004 12:19:45 PM »

Ive always wondered how theses scarves are done.... so you knit them longways, instead of shortways. .... does that even make sense?

That's it, Zephren.  Exactly!  It's a bit odd, but seems to work either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
pamanda
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 12:28:52 PM »

I am curious, is that a "scratchy scarf?" Like does the wool itch? I love how you did the colors! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 12:40:46 PM »

Fine wools do not itch. Some are a little corser than others, but it is a myth that wool is itchy. Gi check out the selection at your local yarn store, I think you will be surprised at the products & variety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 12:41:51 PM »

that is very nice! I myself, being a girl, would even love to wear that manly-MAN scarf. I like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004 12:46:41 PM »

i love long-ways scarves.  they seem to go so much faster for some reason.  beautiful color-way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004 12:49:26 PM »

Fine wools do not itch. Some are a little corser than others, but it is a myth that wool is itchy.
Actually, it depends - some people are slightly allergic, so all wool is itchy to them (not allergic enough to break out in a rash, but enough that they're always irritated).  And wool is always itchy to me if it's too warm when I'm wearing it.  I didn't much like wool when I lived in Southern California.  But I love it now that I live in Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004 01:49:30 PM »

i really like the random colours on fixed width stripes! very nicely done, modster!

i think length-wise scarves knit up faster too. turning rows can really slow you down! i usually find circular knitting faster for the same reason. (but, wider rows are worse to rip back... conundrum).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
emling
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004 02:21:10 PM »

Fantastic color choice--I like the fact that the colors are muted, but interesting.  I always make my man stuff in navy, grey, and brown, then later think--why are his clothes so boring??--oh, right.  Because I chose boring colors.

I also like the way garter stitch looks going the longways.  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
How to Make Homemade Cadbury Eggs with Cheesecake Filling
How to Bake Hamburger Cupcakes
How To Make A Champagne Ganache Tart
How to Make Balsamic and Raspberry Semifreddo
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...