A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our New Chinchilla Cage!  (Read 10459 times)
Tags for this thread: woodwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ericav
« on: June 28, 2007 09:07:01 AM »

OK, it took a while, but we finished the new cage! It's made out of melamine and untreated pine. All materials have been researched and are safe for her. We got a lot of help from some people that have built their own chinchilla cages.

This is the full view of the cage. We inculded a Kitten Privacy Flap at the bottom of the cage. Our cat Simon, is very nosy and likes to watch Sophie. He also liked to stick his little mits in the old cage and Sophie would charge at him. We could never leave them alone together. Now with the new cage, the wire is too small for him to stick his paws through. We're hoping that now we can leave the door open to my office/sophie's room and everyone can live in peace and harmony.

This is the first shelf, the ramp to the second shelf, and the second shelf. Sophie is very comfortable here. She's stopped sliding down the ramp and actually runs up and down it now.

This is the 3rd shelf (with a little hay pile on it) and the 4th shelf. She's not to comfortable with these shelves, which is understandable because they're higher and she not used to jumping the new distance. We put the 3rd shelf in this way so she can't fall from the top to the bottom of the cage at any point (that probably wouldn't happen, but it's been suggested to take it as a safety measure).

Here's Sophie enjoying an Almond!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007 09:08:39 AM by ericav » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007 02:21:26 AM »

That cage is brilliant, she is going to have so much fun running around in it! It looks really professional. I love all the different levels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ericav
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007 02:24:58 AM »

Wow thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007 06:18:51 AM »

That cage is amazing. I want a chinchilla someday, they're so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ericav
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007 08:56:06 AM »

Chinchillas are awesome pets, I highly recommend having one! I've had Sophie now for 8 years! If you want some info on them, I can direct you to some great sites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riverwatson
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007 10:09:25 AM »

Shocked You did SUCH a great job on that cage. I am really very impressed.

I helped my brother pick out his chinchilla, a little silver boy named Nero, and the lady at the pet store said they needed LOTS of room to run around. I'm hope ours gets adventurous and starts to use all of that great new space. What a cutie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
ericav
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 10:30:31 AM »

She's gotten a lot better at running around her space, she's so much happier now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wallabee wallabee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007 11:41:28 AM »

Wow,that's an amazing cage! I might get a chinchilla in a couple of years and some cages have the craziest prices! Anyways, I bet she loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horn broken, watch for finger. Also insured by the mafia : you hit me, they hit you.
ericav
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007 01:54:01 PM »

This wasn't too expensive to make, maybe $75 or so. I saw someone selling a cage similar to this for $500. It wasn't that bad considering. It's mostly melamine and wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 02:34:28 PM »

Your cage is awesome! I love it when people come up with better, cheaper ideas than store bought. And she looks quite cozy! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Office Production Assistant - Job Guide
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...