A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,534
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How many of you watermark your images?  (Read 1650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sirensrising
« on: June 28, 2007 08:23:46 AM »

Just out of curiousity, how many of you watermark your artwork (etc) before posting here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007 07:01:45 AM »

I haven't watermarked anything I posted here yet. One day I might.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 01:34:15 PM »

I always feel like I should... but the advertising rules don't let you put your website in pictures.  I feel like if I just use my name or something and the image gets stolen for another website (it has happened before  Angry) nobody will know it's stolen.
But I understand why the rules are there (I get annoyed when people say "Go buy this in my etsy!!  Isn't it great?"), so I can't be hypocritical and not obey them myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
sirensrising
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007 02:50:09 PM »

I always feel like I should... but the advertising rules don't let you put your website in pictures.  I feel like if I just use my name or something and the image gets stolen for another website (it has happened before  Angry) nobody will know it's stolen.
But I understand why the rules are there (I get annoyed when people say "Go buy this in my etsy!!  Isn't it great?"), so I can't be hypocritical and not obey them myself.
Ugh, that sucks! You could even try something like "Jillie @ Craftster.org" just for the purpose of posting them here, and then you could include a link to your website in your sig or your profile too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 03:26:40 PM »

That's a really good idea, maybe I'll try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 09:29:17 AM »

I watermark everything with my studio name. This way, even if someone claims my image as their own, they can't reproduce it. I also make sure to post low res images, and the only high res images I have are small details I post in my shop. I've seen (and had) art stolen so often, it's just best if you actually plan on making money with your art that you dont give someone else a chance to steal it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WizardOfTheStone
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 09:41:21 AM »

But I don't, I'll forever be known as a "starving" artist. If a person feels they have to steal my image for their own personal gain, Than the guilt would be on their head not mine.

I submit my images cause I'm good at it. I have others comment "Your not a photographer" etc. But its not for them to decide, Plus they don't walk in my shoes and know what hell I have been through and continue to go through.

At times its a struggle just to type this to you now. Im very thankful anyone would comment about anything I do, let alone take some of my photographs and display them on their wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampiremegami
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007 09:55:57 PM »

What little I've posted here has been watermark free, albeit the file has been small.  Over on other sites I have started adding my name in a watermark on my more finished works, or things I've spent a good deal of time on.  I haven't seen my art stolen (knock on wood) but I have seen quite a lot of artists who have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008 10:48:21 AM »

question..how do you watermark photographs?
I learned that you can put copyright info into the meta data of a photo but nothing about a watermark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
goosezilla
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008 12:10:32 AM »

I don't watermark my images because I hate watermarks. I do try to keep images under 8in high and at 72dpi so that they won't make great prints. If someone "steals" my work and posts it as their own it really isn't a big deal. They aren't going to be able to create any new work that lives up to what they are claiming is theirs. Also, the folks who claim images as their own usually have a whole collection of images that don't match because they are from many sources. Anyone worth their salt should be able to tell they didn't create the art. Plus, it's a little flattering that someone would do that. I mean, there's a ton of work on the net, and out of it all they chose you to pretend to be. It's like really cute identity theft.

Anyway, if they do make money off your work it's better to let them make the money first and get your cut later with the long arm of the law. Work the system! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Vowell Talks About The Wordy Shipmates
Alan Goldsher Reveals His Previous Occupation
Meet Bishop Carlton D. Pearson
Peter Lerangis Reveals His Previous Occupations
Brian Billick Reveals His Motto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...