A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My sewing machine is teaching me humility.  (Read 6580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nutritiongal
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004 03:14:16 PM »

Hello. Whenever that happens to me it's because I forgot to put my presser foot down. Which is frequently because I forget things like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back after a fews years of inactivity and looking forward to getting back into crafting!

Visit my blog: http://roaringtwentieskerri.blogspot.com/
Tempost
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004 12:14:40 AM »

Since this is an old thread, you've no doubt solved the problem by now, but I thought I'd pass along this advice I got when I was a wee babe of a sewer. 

If the stiches on the bottom are screwy, rethread the machine.  If the stitches on the top are screwy, check the bobbin.  About 80% of the time, this fixes things for me - unless the machine is really dirty and needs a cleaning and oiling.

Singers usually have the threading instructions in the machine.  The left hand side of the little knobby thing that goes up and down (I'm sure that is the technical term) should open like a door and there should be a diagram inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn, or food? Yarn, or food? .... Eh, I ate last week.
http://makeme.typepad.com
http://hilari.etsy.com
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004 07:48:39 AM »

Humiliation is built in on every machine ever made.
You're not supposed to understand them, just worship. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
abinka
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004 03:29:27 AM »

I've actually gotten so bogged down getting things done for this Saturday's Punk Rock Flea Market and Xmas gifts I've just hand-sewn the things I needed. But after the holidays I will attack and conquer that insolent machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004 07:18:19 AM »

Good luck!
It helps to really take your time with the instructionsbook and go through it step by step. I made a terrible buy last year. I bought a Singer without even knowing if it was working or not (mostly to have a machine for my daughters since I don't let them go near my darling Pfaff)
When I came home it was just a mess. Nothing worked, including the instructions, and it all ended with me throwing it all away. I spoke to my "dealer" and he said that Singer is a problemchild (maybe because he is pro-pfaff)

Well. Good luck with the sale! And Merry Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

Shawnkyr

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004 01:35:44 PM »

Oh, I love my Pfaff (see offering comment above).  It is way too good for me.  My mom has a 40-ish year old Bernina.  People laugh at her for using it, but it sews great and is destined to be inherited by me, as my future backup machine (for when my future high tech machine breaks down).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004 02:26:17 PM »

My mom had a Bernina too that I of course stole from her as soon as I discovered the fun of sewing. I had it until my kids were born and I had to start sewing jersey-clothes. That's when I switched to the Pfaff, but only because it had jersey-seams.
I rather wish I had kept moms machine for backup, but I had to throw it into the sale to afford the Pfaff Sad
Now since my daughters are big enough to use a machine i really wish I had one less fragile than my beloved.
The Pfaff is a passion and most people I've spoken to, who owns Pfaff are rather passionate about them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyScientist

Work all day, Craft all night...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004 06:10:56 AM »

I have to say, as a beginner, the Pfaff rules!  I bought the Hobby 1016 in August, not knowing I would love to sew and not knowing about accessories for the machine.  The instruction manual was awesome, learned all about the machine and how to troubleshoot.  The 1016 is a very basic machine, for about $120, but a workhorse (my first projects included sewing plastic together for messenger bags).  I purchased it at the Fabric Place in CT(www.fabricplace.com), and they have a deal where you can trade your Pfaff in and get credit for it towards the next model for up to one year--which is what I got a month later!  The Pfaff Hobby 1042 is the last machine I will need (it does some basic serging too!)--the needle moves, there are lots of  feet included (zipper foot, clear foot, buttonhole, etc) with many accessory feet to purchase also.  It also has a one step buttonhole, decorative embroidery stitches--and the list price is about 399.00.  The Pfaff and the book Sew Fast Sew Easy have made me love to sew!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experimental Designs made just for you!
www.craftyscientist .com
ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004 02:57:49 AM »

Good for you.

The only "problem" with Pfaff at least in Sweden is that it's not that easy to even find on the market and accessories are even harder and rather expensive. But I don't care. I love my tiptronic 1071 anyway. I will have to trade it in eventually since I do sew quite a lot and I've had it for 15 years now, but I'd never trade it for anything less than Pfaff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iolande
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005 06:36:11 AM »

I know this thread is getting old, but as no one has mentioned it - check the tension on the bobbin itself.

Pull the bobbin case out of the machine but leave the bobbin and thread in it.  Check for the following two things:

1)  The thread should pull smoothly and easily out of the case
2).  You should also be able to hold the thread and the bobbin & case will just hang in the air without anymore thread coming out.  (ie the bobbin and case won't head straight for the floor)

If this isn't happening for you, look on the side of the bobbin case and you will see a small screw, you will have to turn this one way or the other until you can do both 1 & 2.

And that is how you adjust the bobbin tension. 

I hope this helps as I have had problems similar to what you have said and I have fixed it in the following method.

Io
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get What You Want at the Hairdressers
How to Get Hair Extensions
How to French Braid Hair
How to Dutch Braid Hair
How to Do a Brasillia Nova
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...