A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Elna 614 overlocker  (Read 5203 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuperFrog
« on: June 28, 2007 01:27:46 AM »

One of my Mum's friends has lent me a serger/overlocker to try but I have no idea what I am doing. It is an Elna 614. She had it threaded, but has cut off the threads near the top and not given me the spools. Also there is no instruction manual.

So I can see how the threads should go, but not sure how to actually thread the machine  or the needle. I'm afraid if I take out the threads I'll never figure it out!

Can anyone help me with this, or point me in the right direction?

There are two levers on the front: DF and SL. I'm assuming SL = stitch length. What is DF? Don't Fiddle? Down Faster? Dragon Fire? Darning Foot? Disco Fever?

What kind of thread do I need to get, and is it expensive? It seems to be thinner than normal thread. I don't want to outlay a lot of money as the machine is only on lend.

Does an overlocker have a bobbin? I can't find one, so I assume that two of the four threads sew on the underside somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tehe
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007 10:08:06 AM »

Enjoy the serger...it is not as scary as it first seems.
On to instructions
I have searched the web for an Elna 614 instruction manual.  Ebay looks like a possibility if you wish to purchase a manual. Other options would be:
Check local libraries, sewing machine repair shops and sewing guilds/clubs. 
I did find a link to a Uni website that might answer some immediate questions
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FL_501.pdf
generic serger info
http://www.sergerplace.com/sergerguidelinestext.htm
  DF = differential feed

I checked a general guide to sergers from the library.  It was easier to follow and more complete than the manual for my machine.

Hope this has been of help.
Tehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tsuya
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007 01:53:22 PM »

If the threads are still in there, tie on new spool/cones of whatever color you want and simply pull them through. That way, you don't have to re-thread it. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperFrog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 06:43:14 PM »

Thanks guys!

Have had a play and I think I've got it threaded right now. Stitches/cuts okay but I'm not sure how to finish off at the end of sewing. If I sew off the end to make a chain it seems to jam the machine. I don't have any reference for the thread tensions for the various stitch types, which doesn't help. But I haven't given up yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tyskkvinna
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007 08:33:08 AM »

I hope it's okay for me to bump this a little?

I have the same sewing machine as the OP. It was given to me, and I don't have a manual. I've used sergers before, but it's been at least 10 years. (I use a "normal" machine almost every day)

I can thread it... no problem. But I feel like I'm doing something stupid-simple horribly wrong and I don't know what it is. I can't get it to.. feed the fabric? I guess you'd say? It seems to make stitches fine, and I can get it to make a little chain before I put the fabric in. But then it just doesn't seem to want to do anything with the fabric. Once I finally get it to "grab" it's really inconsistent.

Is there any sort of "ideal" for the tension? I know sometimes what it says on the dial isn't what it is in practise. I'm just... feeling like I'm missing the obvious and was hoping somebody could bonk me on the head with what that is.

I read through the links suggested here already. While they were helpful, they seemed to guide more on general machine etiquette. (Which I still remember! Smiley )

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated.

I'm going to get it serviced sometime just to make sure it's oiled and whatnot, but I can't afford it at the moment (Just got a Deco 600 back from servicing.. yesterday) so anything I can figure out on my own would be appreciated. (That, and the ladies at the repair shop I go to admitted they aren't overly familiar with Elna machines - but it's a Bernina repair shop)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperFrog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007 07:30:55 PM »

I'm all threaded up fine now, but I know exactly what you mean about the grabbing problem. I just can't figure it out and instead bought a pair of pinking shears to do my seams. (I'm so lazy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Richard Paul Evans
Valerie Fitzgerald Reveals Who She Admires Most
A Love That Heals Book Trailer
Anthony McCarten Reveals His Favorite Fictional Villain
Emily Listfield Reveals Her Favorite Words
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...