A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can someone help me out with this cami? Please?  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovefindslove
« on: June 27, 2007 08:51:36 PM »

First off - sorry for the boobs. It's not me and it's the only pic I have of the shirt Smiley

Okay, I took this pic to the knitting board and they said it'd probably be better to sew it just because it would take forever to knit and I'm a brand new knitter.

The thing is, I'm a brand new sew-er too. Can anyone maybe tell me how I would go about doing this? Either a patter or free hand. I'm usually pretty good at free handing non sewing items, so I would be willing to try it - but I don't know how to do the straps or anything.

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007 08:54:24 PM »

I am not sure if this would be any help or not.

I would take a tank top with a similar top and just trace it out the make longer straps for it. For me it would have to be about trial and error. But it just looks like a normal top but the straps are longer and there for showing more up top. Just my stab at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
lovefindslove
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007 05:36:09 AM »

Awesome - thank you Smiley

And how do you make straps  like that? They're so littttle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007 06:44:33 AM »

Actually the straps are a self-binding.  Basically this is a strip of fabric made of the tank material that are folded over and encases the raw edges of the shirt (and brought up over your shoulders to make straps).  If you do a search on the internet (and probably on Craftster somewhere) for binding, you'll find a tute on how to make and apply some to your tank.  You'll also want to be sure to use knit material and zig-zag stitches or twin needle (to keep the material stretchy) when sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baby-bumblebee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007 10:43:10 AM »

you can also buy a bias tape maker and that might help with the straps, they are tiny and I have a hard time with straps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
lovefindslove
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007 12:57:09 PM »

What's a bias tape maker?

Thanks stacysews. You want to come and give me some sewing lessons?  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007 01:52:29 PM »

If you don't mind driving to Kansas, I'd be more than happy to give lessons!   Grin

Here's what bias tape makers look like:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?CATID=24991&PRODID=11900

They come in a variety of sizes and fold the fabric for you (you make a strip and 'feed' it though the tape maker).  Very handy gadgets to have, especially if you need to make a lot of bias binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovefindslove
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007 04:23:17 PM »

:-D

so I'd just cut out a long skinny strip of my fabric, run it through there, and wa la - i have straps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007 07:15:40 PM »

Well, you really want to cut it twice the size as what the bias tape maker is (so for a 1/2" bias tape, you'd cut 1" wide strips), feed it through, and press with an iron!  There should be some sort of instructions included with the bias tape maker, too.

There's some good photos of how it works here:
http://www.purlbee.com/mollys-handmade-napkins/2006/11/20/handmade-napkins-make-binding.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007 06:34:29 PM »

so I'd just cut out a long skinny strip of my fabric, run it through there, and wa la - i have straps?

Not quite. It's called bias tape because the tape is made from fabric cut on the bias- and it has to be perfectly on the bias to work. Upon closer inspection that tank appears to be a knit all over- including the spaghetti strap.

If you are brand new to sewing but want a knit (as in jersey, not knitting needle knit) tank like this I'd go find a pattern that is specificly for knits. Knits have a much steeper learning curve than non-stretchy things- I've been sewing for years but still consider myself a knit-noob.

I'm not trying to discorage you- just giving you a heads up that there's a lot more to sewing that type of material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Summon a Mirror Ghost
How to Create a Ghost Home Video
How to create the Lens Flare Effect
How to Make a UFO Video
Low Passing Plane Trick
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...