A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ipod security/carrier  (Read 4587 times)
Tags for this thread: ipod  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redwitch
« on: June 27, 2007 05:56:39 PM »

Okay... finally borrowed a digicam... here's my version of the Ipod holder. You can listen to it with the book closed, when you want to put it away you can curl up the headphones and put them in your compartment without unplugging them from the iPod. It's a Nano.

The foam holds it so securely that I can throw the book on the floor (cover's held closed with Velcro) with no fears for baby iPod. I don't want even a scratch on it (we're all allowed one neurosis and this is mine okay?)

I thought I had sized the pics and done everything correctly but please tell me if they look odd or wrong to you? I'm a techno-dumbass.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007 01:31:01 AM »

I like Smiley

How'd you do it? I have to find a way to hide mine from the baby - I can't sleep in silence, and the hubby can't sleep with noise, so my Creative Zen has been a sanity saver. But my 1 year old loves to push the button, and lost it for me...for a week. I was a zombie Sad Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
redwitch
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007 03:37:33 AM »

http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-make-secret-hollow-book.html

Do this but for different shapes and sizes. My iPod cavity is 1 cm bigger in every direction than the iPod, and the earplugs cavity is as big as there is room for after the iPod. Make the earplugs cavity deep, most of the way through the book. The iPod cavity depends: will the iPod be going in by itself? In that case just as deep as iPod. If you put in foam, deeper: my foam was just as thick as the Nano. I cut one layer in half (to go behind/undermeath the Nano, and on the inside cover) to get two thin layers, and one layer just to go round the edges, so I wanted the Nano cavity as thick as two layers of foam.

Cut a very shallow cavity for the Velcro strips. Cut channels between the compartments as you see fit.

For the cutting I strongly recommend that you go slowly, especially if you will leave the edges plain. Especially as you go deeper, the edges will become nasty and untidy. I didn't bother too much with this one because the insides of the holes would be obscured with felt for the plugs, and foam for the Nano.
Buy a metal ruler and a couple of clamps (small lightweight plastic cheapish ones are fine if they work) from the hardware shop, and use them to clamp the ruler on tightly when you cut. Take a break when you are frustrated. Buy one of those Stanley knives and a couple of packs of spare blades. Learn how to snap them off when they get blunt (the base of the handle - the black part if it is an orange one with black bits - has a slit in it to hold the end) and snap off a tip EVERY time you think it is starting to get blunt. Don't try to make the blades last longer to save money.

Then I glued in the bottom thin layer of foam: the iPod's 'bed'/mattress. This doesn't have to fit perfectly.
Then I got the full layer of foam and cut it to fit well, and cut an iPod-sized rectangle out of it. So I was left with a 1cm-wide border/ring to go around the iPod. I cut out the small hole at the bottom right of this for the earplugs to go through. Then glued it in. Tip: the edges buckled in when by itself: to get a really perfect fit wrap up your Nano in plastic wrap/Glad wrap and put it inside the ring/border as it's being glued. Leave it in there while the glue dries.

Glue down the front page as per the instructions. Don't forget to do the Velcro whenever you prefer.

Then put the second thin layer in place on top of the Nano inside the cavity. Paint the top side with glue. Close the book and leave the top layer of foam to stick to the inside cover.

Cover the earplug compartment with fabric if you like (felt's good). I recently sourced some flocking (can't believe I had to import it from the United States) and will use that for the inside compartment in future (after straightening the sides with polyfill or something similar). The felt is imperfect but good enough.

Choose a nice book, NOT a paperback. I would use a smaller piece of Velcro next time as this was too sticky, and to open the cover I needed to pull very hard and the cover bent slightly so that a vertical line down the middle of the book slumps inwards, and the right-hand edge of the front cover pulls away slightly.

Don't clamp directly on to the book, the edges will dent the outside: put something on top to buffer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyFemme

Avoiding the temptation to join another swap!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 11:44:49 AM »

That's grand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.
--Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
--Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007 03:35:57 PM »

I need to make something like that for my MP3 player. Keeping it in a glasses case just isn't working. Tongue I love your case. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
Kelda
Pirate Queen

Rock on the dock and never stop.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007 10:31:55 PM »

I have always wanted one of these. I tried to make one once ... yeah, didn't work out so well. I admire your talent. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fearlessly willing to try new crafts ... and usually botching them horribly.
My wists
Vertyshka
Spinner

You spin me right round

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007 11:26:58 AM »

I LOVE this idea!

I made mine out of "Catcher in the Rye"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't do something smart, do something right

-- jayne

http://thecompletistblog.wordpress.com/
A blog where I DIY and talk about television.
FishStikks
Member of the Papercraft Gang

"My Heart Rat Norman"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007 02:46:58 PM »

You did a really really nice job on this and your photo presentation was remarkably well done. Kudos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's Me...Babs!!
My Flick'r Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishstikks/
My Blog http://fishstikks.blogspot.com/
My etsy: http://www.Fishstikks.etsy.com
My Sketchbook Project Theme: I'm a Scavenger
redwitch
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007 09:47:20 PM »

Thanks! It is still going well after being carted around a lot, just the corners of the cover are getting a bit worn. I'm going to do another one if I have time soon, with flocking instead of the felt, I tried it and it worked wonderfully on another book project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VeganPrincess
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009 12:42:38 AM »

Thats amazing !!
If my Ipod wasn't old and scratched beyond repair, I would totally consider making something like that!

I am very impressed with the amount of work you put into this .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Basic Ponytail
How to Get Long Hair Updos
Organic Haircare by Demetris Potamianos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Couture Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...