A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 307,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lets go to the roller rink! (70's style booty shorts) TUTE! PAGE 2.  (Read 40298 times)
Tags for this thread: shorts , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007 02:38:15 AM »

Alright guys, I'll have the tutorial by tomorrow. Its written up and I took photos but its bedtime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007 02:31:49 PM »

I use a serger, but you can just as easily use your regular sewing machine. Use the stretch stitch function, or a zig zag stitch.

First you need to gather your materials:

A sweatshirt-weight jersey kind of fabric
A normal weight t-shirt jersey fabric.
Optional: Thick elastic.

Step one is to cut out your pattern pieces! You will need to take your measurements and adjust accordingly. The top of the short (which is the top edges on both pattern pieces) should be 1/4 of your waist size, plus a half inch on each side for seam allowances. Note that the front has a corner seperating the bottom hem and the side seam, and that the back is a smooth curve for the side seam/bottom hem. This will come into play when you sew on your trim.

Also cut your trim out of your normal weight fabric.. You dont have to cut it on the bias, just so the stretch goes perpendicular to the long part of the piece. It's gonna be folded in half, as will the waistband. I like to cut the trim at LEAST 40 inches long.With the waistband, cut it an inch or two shorter so you can stretch it when sewing to make the waist snug.

Second you want to pin everything together and carefully try it on. Places you might want to trim: the length, the inseams (where the legs extend from the crotch) and the top, if you want them more low-rise. Just cut and go with the general pattern until you've come up with some flattering booty shorts.

Third you're gonna sew the fronts together and the backs together on those little seams I'm showing you.

Step four will be weird unless you've sewn pants/shorts before. Open up each of those pieces you've just sewn together and lie them flat. Sew the insides of the legs together. Do not sew the front and the front together, and do not sew the back and the back together. If you dont like to pin, suck it up and pin it.

Now you're going to pin the side seams together and try the shorts on. You want to make sure they fit, right? Alright. If they're nice and snug, move on to the next step. If you find that they're kind of weird and baggy on the front or the back seam, go ahead and either dart them or sew the seam in a little bit more.

Step five a is kind of crazy. This is where you sew the trim, which has of course, been folded in half with the sides together already. First off, unpin the side seams. Starting at the top of the waistband on the BACK of the short (which you can see on the right side of the photo near the top), you're going to sew the trim, going around that curve, and you'll end up at your crotch seams. Keep going, you're not done. Sew around the front, and end up back at the corner where the side seam meets your bottom hem (viewable at the left side of the photo.). Cut your thread. You can pin this if you want to but I tend to freehand it.

Step five b involves you matchin up the side seams and pinning them in place. Then you will sew the front, the back, and the trim all together sandwiched. See how the end of the front's seam just disappears underneath the side seam's trim? Thats how you know you did it right. If you turn it inside out, it should look like the photo.

Next you'll put your waistband on. I'm fond of jersey, you might like elastic. If you're using jersey, lay it flat, sew the ends together, and fold the whole thing lengthwise. Sew to the top of the shorts, keeping in mind that you should be tugging a little on the waistband BUT NOT the body of the short to make sure it fits snugly on your bod.

Then, topstitch the entire thing. I topstitched it like I sewed on the trim: starting at the top of the short, down around the crotch, back to the side seam. I then sewed a few stitches onto the loose trim that was kind of flapping around, dropped my needle, changed the angle of the fabric, and sewed right back up to the top of the short.

Here is where I am approaching the other side of the trim on the side seam! Hand-crank  your machine so the needle is sunken into the fabric. Then lift up the presser foot, turn it so you'll be sewing the loose edge of the trim, and go to town, as seen below.

Hopefully now you have some sassy shorts to go make the boys drool! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twiggymissretro
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007 02:43:50 PM »

cheera is amazing.
and so is her laptop.
because i have that laptop.
because apple is amazing.
thanks for the tutoriallll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@missKIRS10
facebook.com/teamkittykoalition
MEOWZZZZZ. xoxo.
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007 02:48:33 PM »

Macbook powaaaaah!

Please let me now if anything seems weird or unclear because I'm gonna make another pair tonight.

Also, I made another pair last night, obviously, as I made the tutorial.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Moo
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007 03:39:47 PM »

oh man I just dropped $20 on a pair just like these!  I think yours are cuter though, because they have the cute piping all the wy up the side. Smashing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007 03:44:12 PM »

Oh man, these are awesome, but I would put money on my Dad having worn some just like it. *tries to rip the mental imagine from her brain* He had the long hair and bell bottoms, I've seen them! At least he doesn't still wear them, whew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Rose
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007 03:54:10 PM »

Wow those look really good! You didn't use a pattern? You can't even tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007 03:56:02 PM »

I kind of used a pattern to remind myself how the curves work right about the crotchular area. But thats about it. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliebelly123
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007 03:58:49 PM »

Oh wow!!!!!! They are great!!!!

Can I have them?? hehe. Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007 04:06:38 PM »

No wai! Make them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Pete McKee Animates London
Art of VIBE: Michalopoulos Channels New Orleans & Music In His Art
11-Year-Old To Credit For Gorgeous Animated Google Doodle
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Lost Vincent Van Gogh Painting Discovered In Safe Deposit Box
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...