A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheting makes my wrist ache...  (Read 2864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auroravioletta
« on: November 23, 2004 09:02:26 AM »

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, maybe health and beauty would be more appropriate, but I've been crochting a lot lately and it's been kind of making my wrists ache. This has happened twice in the past month--I've been crocheting a lot, or doing other things involving a similar wrist-motion, and all of a sudden it'll start to ache really badly and I have to take a few days off. It sucks! During the "recovery" time it feels like I should be putting on a splint to keep it from moving at all!

Has this happened to anyone else here? Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to make it stop happening (other than just giving up crochet)? I'm putting arnica cream on it now, but I'd really prefer to figure out what's wrong so I can prevent it...

Thanks....
Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
hudelei
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004 09:38:21 AM »

What kinds of things are you crocheting?  I've found that I do just fine with big hooks, loose stitches, thick yarns, but I get more fatigue the smaller and finer it gets.  I never had sore hands from crocheting really until I tried to do something with thread and steel hook and then I got seriously fatigued after a while.  I think I remember it in my hands rather than wrists though.

I don't know much about carpal tunnel, but could it be something like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004 09:42:18 AM »

Sometimes this happens to me, too - especially on days when I've been typing a lot at work. Bad new - it's probably Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Good news - you can do things to make sure it doesn't do permanent damage.

Be very careful not to hold your crochet hook too tightly, and don't work for too long without taking breaks to rotate your wrists and stretch your arms. Keep that blood flowing! Also, be sure to use proper technique, and good posture helps too. If your hands/wrists get numb or tingly - stop! stop! stop! and take a break. If you don't, over time, you could do real damage.

If you Google "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome", tons of helpful info will come up. I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 11:14:29 AM »

A pair of "Hand-Ezz" gloves would help some.  You can get them at the craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 11:32:54 AM »

this used to happen to me too, so instead of crocheting all the time, i picked up knitting, and now only crochet every once and a while.  Knitting hasnt casued me the slightest wrist ailment so far as i can tell, so maybe try knitting?
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 01:43:07 PM »

Is it really carpal tunnel? EEk!
I read online that that always involved tingling or numbness. I don't get numb or tingly, just an ache in my wrist that says "stop moving me NOW! Or Else!"

I've had it in both wrists, though fortunately not at the same time. Right now it's the yarn-holding side. Mostly I do medium-sized work--with an H hook, or a K at most. My hands used to ache, too, when I was just starting out (I would hold the hook waaaay too tight), but that seemed to be a different kind of ache, one that snuck up on me a bit more. I'm pretty sure this is from the repetetive motion...

What do the "Hand-Ezz" gloves do? How much do they cost?

I really hope I'm not causing permanent damage yet... My joints are weak as it is...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004 03:37:53 PM »

Good info Indie.  My mom has had Carpel Tunnel very bad from repetative motion work.  She has a cleaning business and it bothered her to vaccuum over and over again.  She had surgery on both wrists, one at a time.  The surgery was a success in both instances, but she had to *baby* the offending hand for awhile just so she would do any further damage.  Now, she's perfectly fine, two surgeries later.

My mom had the " fista gloves," as I called them.  They're supposed to help you when you sleep so that you don't sleep on bent wrists which can cause pain.  I can't testify to the validity of them, as my mom would make up with them on still in pain.

I would double what's already been said but add that you should consider having it looked at if the pain is hard to deal with, just to make sure that it is Carpel Tunnel. 

I myself have been suffering from some very unique feeling pain in the center of my hands, usually the left one.  It come on all of a sudden and feels like a knife is being stabbed into my hand.  I think about my mom and wonder if I'm doing some of my own kind of harn.  As an art teacher, I can't afford to lose the use of my hands!

Amie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004 04:20:41 PM »

They are like support stockings for your hand and wrist.  They are kinda pricey, $12.00 for one glove.  But they work for me, I don't have carpel tunnel, I have arthritis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004 04:36:08 PM »

Is it really carpal tunnel? EEk!
I read online that that always involved tingling or numbness. I don't get numb or tingly, just an ache in my wrist that says "stop moving me NOW! Or Else!"

my dad had carpal tunnel (or has..not sure if it goes away after surgery or just doesnt hurt anymore but whatever) , and he would wake up in the middle of the night with excruitiating pain, and alot of times numbness and aching all the time.   If it only hurts every once in a while, it probably isnt carpal tunnel, but I'd go to a doc if it continues just for peace of mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
crosette
Ultimate Procrastinator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004 09:03:48 PM »

They are like support stockings for your hand and wrist.  They are kinda pricey, $12.00 for one glove.  But they work for me, I don't have carpel tunnel, I have arthritis.

I bought a Handeze at JoAnn's and it was only like 5 bucks...it does help....

Another thing that helps (me anyway) is keeping my crocheting wrist warm...I use Wristies ( www.wristies.com ) on top of the Handeze glove thing or sometimes alone...they're cool cuz they leave ur fingers free and they're really soft (fleece)...they come in pairs...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy. Come here, Squishy...Come here, little Squishy...bzzzzt...Ow! Bad squishy, bad Squishy!! - Dory
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Pancakes Recipe With Judy Joo
Spicy Meatloaf Po’Boys With Smoked Provolone
Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Pizza Recipe
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...