A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garden bench?  (Read 1395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purevitality
« on: May 21, 2007 07:23:03 PM »

Does anyone have any cheap, easy ways to make a garden bench?

I was thinking of I perhaps turned some stone flower pots upside down... but I'm not sure how to make the actual seat?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions!!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong board! Feel free to move!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
simply
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007 07:45:11 PM »

use a wood plank?  you could mosaic it and it might blend in better with the stone pots. (stone pots are a neat idea, never thought of that)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007 06:31:30 PM »

I think that the overturned pots idea is fab-I'd just use a weathered plank-stone would probably be too heavy. And I would fill the pots with something heavy, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
ice princess
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007 04:20:31 PM »

You could also make a simple wooden bench using boards, L-brackets, and screws. If you do a board on top of ceramic pots, drill holes into the board and into the pot (unless you find some with small center holes) and bolt the pots to the board. Use deck sealant or another polyurethane to protect the wood from the elements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackArmadillo
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007 10:49:14 PM »

If you do a board on top of ceramic pots, drill holes into the board and into the pot (unless you find some with small center holes) and bolt the pots to the board.

Good idea, but if you do drill the pots, make sure you're very careful: it's tough to drill terra cotta without shattering it. Start with a very small drill bit and work up incrementally to the size you want, and don't force the drill, just take it slow. Using the existing hole in the centre is probably easier, and if it's too big (which it probably will be) just use washers.

Good luck! Hope the project turns out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Welder and Fabricator Extrordinaire
NymphMina
Nymph of Mischief and Rouge Kitty

Rhiow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007 05:25:18 PM »

In Salvage Style for the Garden by Marcianne Miller and Dana Irwin they use an old wood door to make a bench with rafter tails for arm rests and balusters as feet.

And the feet aren't tilted, they're straight.  It just looks that way cause I took a picture from the book with my camera since I don't have a scanner.  I found the book at Tuesday Morning, not sure if Amazon has it or if it's out of print.  The publisher is Lark Books so maybe check their site.  http://www.larkbooks.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lysa aka Mina

Craft Interests: ATC, sewing, recycle old books, scrapbook, cooking, home decor

Collects: Dragons/cats/snow leopards, scarves/sarongs, petables, antique/metal buttons, Victorian/romantic/elegant/ren faire stuff, swords/pointies, feathers, books, fans, hats, bellydance/pagan thing
purevitality
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007 02:12:34 PM »

Oh gosh! that's beautiful! thanks very much for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
NymphMina
Nymph of Mischief and Rouge Kitty

Rhiow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007 02:19:59 PM »

They also had one in there that's smaller and lower to the ground, labeled as a kid's bench that uses old firewood stands for in the fireplace, the ones that are a set and not just the rack, and places a piece of timber on top that fits the width.

Glad I could offer some help though.  ^_^  There's sooo much in that book I want to do.  I want to eventually use the designs in there, cause it shows you how to do everything with step by step instructions.  They have Adirondack chair patterns and how to build your own pergola.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lysa aka Mina

Craft Interests: ATC, sewing, recycle old books, scrapbook, cooking, home decor

Collects: Dragons/cats/snow leopards, scarves/sarongs, petables, antique/metal buttons, Victorian/romantic/elegant/ren faire stuff, swords/pointies, feathers, books, fans, hats, bellydance/pagan thing
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007 02:34:14 PM »

I have a chunk of a boxelder trunk that serves as a stool in the middle of my herb garden. The herb garden is planted in the center of a small circle of pavers, and I used to have a plaque tacked to the boxelder trunk that said "UNLESS" ... until my collie mix decided to use the plaque as a chew toy ... but the idea was to make it look like my garden contained all that remained of The Very Last Truffula Tree of Them All.

(Yeah, I'm kind of obsessed with children's books. I'm planning a Lorax mural and a few other details for my garden, and I've just begun thinking about redoing my kitchen with an In the Night Kitchen theme, which will fit in nicely with the Where the Wild Things Are mural in my office....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007 11:18:31 AM »

You can also use a crib or headboard and footboard from a bed, use the headboard for the back then cut the footboard in half vertically and use one half for side.  Gardenweb also has pictures and instructions for these, search in garden junk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Met Gala - Daria Werbowy Transforms Into the Ultimate Brooklyn Punk
How to Wear the Sweatshirt Trend
Mondays With André: Marc Jacobs on the Pajamas Trend
Mondays With André: Oxford Union Signature Style
Mondays With André: Michelle Obama Fahion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...