A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fudge! help  (Read 3097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justwantacraft
« on: November 23, 2004 06:27:56 AM »

I made fudge yesterday and it won't harden. I put it in the frezer and it won't freeze.
I think I did not let the can milk and sugar desove enough. Right now its sittlng in the freezer and its thick but not enough to cut into any peices and hold together.
Any one know anything I can do to save it ? Or is it history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004 07:04:55 AM »

I think it is history now.  You should find a way to eat it though-- perhaps as frosting? I hate to see calories go to waste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
fl_mariposa
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004 07:20:02 AM »

I did that one time and it turned out I had bought a bigger can of evaporated milk than the recipe called for, and used it all.  Sad  It won't be hard fudge! But I ate it with a spoon and it stilll tasted good!! Pay close attention to your recipe next time to make sure it doesn't happen again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 07:23:17 AM »

I always have the exact opposite problem with my fudge.  I cook the sugar to soft-ball, but when i melt in the chocolate and pour it onto the cookie sheet, it always hardens to something a little bit softer than milk-chocolate.  someone who is good at making fudge please help us both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 10:47:08 AM »

What is your recipe? I always use the one off the back of the Jet puf marshmallow fluff-I found it to be easiest and best tasting. Maybe you need a new recipe-microwave fudge maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
justwantacraft
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 07:52:56 PM »

Well last time I made it the recipe that I did use had that jet puf marshmellow in a jar stuff in it. And that one turned out perfect and . this one had marshmellows and the evaporated milk which I also put to much in and well just messed the whole thing up. Now its like really thick Ice Cream sunday stuff so Im going to scoop it all up and put it in a bucket and save it for icecream it taste good ..like you guyes say don't want'a waste it or the calories they expensive. lol Thanks all Happy Thanksgiving
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004 08:45:27 PM »

Fudge can be very fickle.  Can depend on the weather, the exact temp of your ingredients, the  phase of the moon...  Cheesy
I agree with the "don't waste the calories" mentality.  When I make fudge and it comes out too runny, it becomes ice cream topping.  When it comes out dry and crumbly, it becomes, well...ice cream topping! (hmmmm...)  You might try bringing it back to liquid state (probably not boiling, but close) and re-whipping it.  It seems to me this helps sometimes.

Funny story...my mom always made this really good fudge when I was growing up.  This stuff was, like, cocoa, fat, sugar...and not much else.  It was considered a priviledge to get on Mom's christmas list for her fudge!  One year, our Italian neighbors asked for the recipe.  My mom was very happy to share, and we waited eagerly to learn how their first candy-making attempt went.  A couple of days later, the neighbor called and asked what temperature to bake it in the oven at.  My mom frantically explained that you don't bake it in the oven.  After reviewing the directions, they hung up.  A couple more days went by, and no word on the fudge.  We finally asked how it came out.  "Oh," replied our neighbor, "It started bubbling in the pan so I threw it out." Shocked  To this day, we're not sure what she expected!  But nobody in my family can make a bad batch of fudge without reporting, "It was bubbling so I threw it out!!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mountaineer
The only thing more fun that this project is the next one...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004 09:29:57 AM »

Fudge can be very fickle.  Can depend on the weather, the exact temp of your ingredients, the  phase of the moon...  Cheesy
I agree with the "don't waste the calories" mentality.  When I make fudge and it comes out too runny, it becomes ice cream topping.  When it comes out dry and crumbly, it becomes, well...ice cream topping! (hmmmm...)  You might try bringing it back to liquid state (probably not boiling, but close) and re-whipping it.  It seems to me this helps sometimes.

Funny story...my mom always made this really good fudge when I was growing up.  This stuff was, like, cocoa, fat, sugar...and not much else.  It was considered a priviledge to get on Mom's christmas list for her fudge!  One year, our Italian neighbors asked for the recipe.  My mom was very happy to share, and we waited eagerly to learn how their first candy-making attempt went.  A couple of days later, the neighbor called and asked what temperature to bake it in the oven at.  My mom frantically explained that you don't bake it in the oven.  After reviewing the directions, they hung up.  A couple more days went by, and no word on the fudge.  We finally asked how it came out.  "Oh," replied our neighbor, "It started bubbling in the pan so I threw it out." Shocked  To this day, we're not sure what she expected!  But nobody in my family can make a bad batch of fudge without reporting, "It was bubbling so I threw it out!!!"

Too funny! bubbling... And I was even going to suggest icecream too! My Aunt Karen is the one in my family with the magic fudge charm. The problem is that it's so delicious I end up eating too much and feeling sick. Fudge-overs before dinner is a sure sign of 1. a lack of self control and 2. GREAT fudge! I always thought that the trick was in the temperature...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004 01:51:23 PM »

That such a great story about the fudge Thanks for telling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fresheggs
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004 06:02:00 AM »

This recipe turns out best when the air is dry, I can never to get it to work in the summer months, but this time of year is perfect for it.  I don't know anything about making it chocolate but maybe if you added cocoa just before pouring it out to cool and serve???

Old Fashioned Fudge

3 cups brown sugar (brilliant yellow) lightly packed
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Combine brown sugar, white sugar, salt, butter, and evaporated milk.  Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts.

Allow mixture to reach soft ball stage (240 degrees).  Stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Remove from heat & let cool without stirring. 
When mixture reaches 110 -120 degrees add vanilla and commence stirring like mad.   
When fudge "loses its gloss" pour into pan, allow to cool, cut up and enjoy.  You can also stir in nuts at this point before pouring into pan.

A few tips....

Losing its gloss gets very thick, air pockets will form and break while youre stirring, and the mixture turns a lighter colour.

If the bottom does happen to burn try not to scrap the bottom just pour the mixture into a clean bowl leaving the burned bits in the pot, after it reaches the soft ball stage and you've taken it off the heat.

For easy serving cover a cookie sheet or tray with tin foil or parchment paper (no waxed paper) and pour fudge on to that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paper Plate Mask
How to Make a Plague Doctor Mask
How to Make Paper Masks
How to Start Your Own Scrapbook
Off Book: Etsy Art and Culture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...