A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,435
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: matchbook notepads  (Read 1608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 26, 2007 11:38:33 PM »

I've seen this particular craft out and about in the crafting community, so I decided to try my hand at it!

They are sort of jumbo-sized matchbooks; they are about 2 inches by 2.5 inches. I designed them myself (drew them up in Paint Shop Pro and printed them on textured paper) as well as somewhat shabbily assembled them myself. These are just the first four, I also have a couple others I have printed but not assembled yet. (Including one with an ant and a Tetris design, whee.)

This was the first one. The acorns were my least favorite design so I did them first, knowing I'd muck it up. You can see the staples aren't even aligned right. x_x

Psuedo-argyle pattern. I don't even recall what real argyle is supposed to look like, I just winged this pattern with a mishmash of colors.

I messed up the crease on this, so the front bends a little outwards. I can easily fix that, I just need to trim off a centimeter or so of the front flap and then it would sit nice. I got impatient and wanted to take pictures, though. Cheesy This is my favorite picture. Whee jellyfish!

Sea urchin! This one came out best, construction-wise. Fitting, since it was the last one I did! I'm sure I'll just get better, the more I make.

The whole lot, from the side. I didn't put enough paper in the acorns one, either.

Closer view of the side of one. I didn't take a picture of the inside.. nothing special. Just white paper.

I'm going to make a bunch more of these matchbook-sized ones, then I think I'll make some double jumbo sized ones with some mixed media interior. (Different types of paper, some magazine cut-outs, etc.) Someone on the craftgrrl livejournal community suggested colored paper, which would also work well, I think. The possibilities seem endless. Cheesy

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.

Maybe that, yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007 02:24:54 AM »

Those are so sweet! My faves are the jellyfish and the acorns, and the others are cute too. They seem like a fun, quick craft, and I might have a go at making some as gifts (and for me!) if you don't mind. Another idea you could add to your list if you wanted: decorative brads instead of staples. Or a ribbon tied through two punched holes....or a keyring and two brads so you could hang one from your keychain (I'm always looking for a notepad so I think that would be great!). Can you tell I'm inspired?  Cheesy Anyway, lovely job.

My etsy: http://tierneyb.etsy.com
Tierney B: handmade gifts and accessories.

My wists: http://www.wists.com/tierneyb

Vegan sewing/knitting/designing/crafting addict.

Your body is just another canvas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007 06:20:19 AM »

That is a great idea!  And your pictures are so cute Cheesy  Great crafting, thanks for sharing!
burnt muffin
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007 06:37:47 AM »

awww so cute! i love the one with the jellyfish!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007 08:03:09 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone! Cheesy

You have some great ideas, doomveggie! I especially love the keyring idea, how awesome! Feel free to make your own. I'd love to see them when you do. Cheesy

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007 08:17:10 AM »

I think that these are great!  I wish I had some skills with computer graphics!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007 10:15:21 AM »

The jellyfish and sea urchin are gorgeous!! Nice job.

MY WISTS: http://www.wists.com/uluru

WEB DEISGN PORTFOLIO: www.mariewilkins.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...