A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,346
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eclectic bedroom help  (Read 600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caffeine_fiend
« on: June 26, 2007 12:37:31 PM »

My cousin is going out of town for a week and her birthday is when she gets back. She keeps talking about redoing her room to look more "her" while incorporating a more sophisticated look.
So, while she is gone I want to redo it for her. She rents so she has fake wood floor, and beige-ish walls that I can't paint. She basically lives in a 10' x 10' box with a closet the size of my big toe.
She's really eclectic. She's crafty, sews, does sculpture, and collects art from other cultures.
She also has a leopard print chair shaped like a high heel shoe and pink, green, orange and blue polka dotted comforter. Like I said. eclectic.
Where do I start to pull it all together and give it a "sophisticated" feel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amanda888
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007 11:52:03 AM »

This website is really inspiring. It has a lot of really cool apartments that people have decorated.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/house-tours/

or theres a contest for small apartment decorating which is awesome too

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/scc.php

Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007 08:01:50 PM »

Use a solid neutral.Black or white,perhaps.It'll make a good foil for the eclectic stuff, and help her room be more of a cohesive whole.?Or whatever you think would look best with her stuff. For a rug,and curtains(can use funky arty tiebacks).You can have wildly different things framed on the wall,but use  the same color for all the frames. Arty stuff stands out,looks great,but room looks more sophisticated. Maybe something that would go on the wall to hold craft supplies and art, to keep the floor as open as possible? Closet organizers to make the best use of the little closet-yeah,it wouldn't be seen,but it would be useful,and maybe help keep clutter from her room.Underbed storage boxes for the same reason.When I was a kid,I had a round barrell for a table.It was completely hidden with a cloth,and I could store stuff inside. I think I've seen ottomans like that. A trunk for a coffe table,stacked funky suitcases for and end table-again,they hold stuff! I like the record album earring holders I've found on craftster,because you can make them to stand on a table,or hang on a wall.Fairy lights behind a curtain(again,seen them a few times here).
I think ways to store stuff may be the best thing you can do for her-it'll help her get the most use of her space,and she can use/show off the stuff she already has better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
caffeine_fiend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007 11:42:50 PM »

amanda888: Thanks for the address! I have spent hours on there taking notes for ideas! That website was the best!

bookstorebabe: I figured I would start with black and grow from there, but you really put the whole project in perspective for me. Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas. You gave me some great ideas to work from. Hah. Tomorrow is my day off so I am planning to go thrift shopping for some new furniture additions to tie the room together.

Thanks so much for the great ideas guys! I can't believe how easy you make it sound to fix this room up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amanda888
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007 11:17:08 AM »

Hey, no problem. I've been doing the same thing, lol! Good Luck! Let us know your progress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Castor and Coconut Oil Mask to Make Your Hair Grow
Futuristic Ponytail Hairstyles Backstage at Herve Leger FW 2014
How to Use Hot Rollers
How to Get Big, Bouncy Curls
Hair Loss Solutions That Really Work
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...