A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Taylor's Graduation/Off to University Keepsake Quilt  (Read 1277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SweetMemoriesQuilts
« on: June 21, 2007 10:30:21 AM »

In the Fall, Jacinta’s daughter will be heading off to University. So, she decided to give her a graduation gift that would last a lifetime and keep her comfortable in Rez. She wanted a special Smq Keepsake Quilt that looked hip on the top for her friends to see and then had special family photos and the remnants of her security blanket on the back. She picked out her own fabrics and had a very definite design in mind.

Here is the completed top:

Here is the completed back:

Here is a close-up of the pictures:

Here is a close-up of the label:

This is what we started the consultation with along with the fabric swatches which were blue jean, brown corduroy and really nice turquoise and brown drapery fabric:

The first step was to make the quilt top. We weren’t quite sure exactly what the design would look like, so I cut the squares and layed them out in several different ways clicking digital photos along the way for Jacinta to choose from until we had a winner.

Then came the difficult part - the back side. Jacinta had already given me a map for the photo placement and wanted each framed with brown fabric. She also wanted the security blankie in the corners. She wanted to use the Jean fabric, but after laying out the design a few different ways we agreed that the turquoise fabric was a better look. In addition, it would be lighter and softer.

First I printed the photos.

Then I framed the photos.

Then I made the corners of with the blankie. The blankie fabric was so old and weak that it would have seriously reduced the lifespan of the quilt. So, I fused a light stabilizer to it for strength.

Then I layed out the elements and added the turquoise piece by piece measuring the space that I needed to fill, adding the seam allowances and then sewing it on and ironing it before adding the next section.

Finally, the quilting was done by tieing the ribbons and the binding was added.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

oppositeofwar
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007 05:23:10 AM »

Wow, that's really awesome!  I've been thinking about making my mom a quilt with family photos.  I like the color choices too.  That would be a great quilt to have in college.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetMemoriesQuilts
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007 06:03:49 AM »

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions while you're making yours Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007 09:56:00 AM »

That is a wonderful gift.

When you print the pictures, do you use regular ink? Or do you have to buy special ink?

Is it printed on the fabric using the iron-on transfer paper?

I've always wanted to make a quilt with pictures, but I'm sure sure how to do it. TIA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SweetMemoriesQuilts
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007 05:56:02 AM »

You can use and Ink Jet Printer to print on fabric. This is what I did on this quilt. I printed directly on the fabric, rather than using the iron-on transfer. I like the look better.

There is a process that you must follow. I have instructions printed in my blog (one of the entries from last week I think) www.sweetmemoriesquilts.com/blog
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007 04:12:06 PM »

Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Denis Douville Profile
Linda Chiumera - Artist Profile
Discover Artist Zilon and His Art
Discover Montreal Graffiti Artist Zilon
Contemporary Artist Lindsay Chambers on Her Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...