A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bargain Hunter Swap (aka the $5 or $10 swap) Send by Aug 9  (Read 39319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2007 06:37:47 AM »

Signups are Closed!
If you missed this round - signups are out for round 2!

Do you know where every clearance rack is?
Are thrift stores your second home?
Never leave home without your coupon clutch?
Does that 40% off coupon from Michaels, JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby burn a hole in your pocket if you don't use it?
How good thrifty of a shopper are you - really?

Swap name: Bargain Hunter Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  Craftydeb
member who is backing up the organzier - Tanza
Sign-up date range:  June 26-July 13
Date to send item by: Aug 6  9

Limited to a certain number of people? No

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  All ages - Under 18 please get your parent's permission!

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES - Tanza

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:

this swap - you have $5 or $10 (US dollars, Canadian Dollars, British Pounds, whatever your currency is) to spend on your partner - please spend every bit of it too - you will be required to post up your shopping list and costs! 

You will craft at least a medium sized craft with what you have bought - and send all that you bought to your partner - not everything you buy needs to be craftable items - such as you bought a yard of fabric, made an apron and sent along a slew of THEMED APPROPRIATE items to go with it such as kitchen magnets, spices whatever...

Having said that - if you want to crafty spoil your partner - you are welcome to it but remember your $10/$5limit is to go in this box and that is that!  You can not spend $15 or $20 or even $11 on your partner - consider this like the Price is Right - your target is $10 (or $5) and you will LOSE if you spend more than $10.50/$5.50 that but you must spend at least $9.50/$4.50  Cheesy

You can use minimal items from stash - a SMALL bit of trim, thread, findings, glues, whatever - the majority of your item must be made from what you bought - and you send the remainder to your partner - example - you bought a package of 50 beads, you used 25 of them to make something, you will send the remainder of them to your partner - I am sure she/he will use them somewhere down the line!  Point is - you bought it for your partner not for you to keep.. so that package of beads for a buck - is a buck not 50 cents since you only used half of it and kept the rest...
It may not be the best example, but hey, it's an example, right? 

Be considerate of your partner - yeah, you can get 10 packages of ramen noodles or sour apple flavored ring pops at the store - but do you really think your partner will WANT them?  Get to know your partner - part of swapping is making friendships!  Ask questions and/or stalk - do your best to spend your money as wisely as possible and to get things your partner will really want!

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer including the questionnaire for your partner!!:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name and Mailing address including the country:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
I want to swap $5 or $10 packages...
I want to have one or two partners...(first time swappers one package only -  sorry)

Questions for your partner..
Is there something that you would like to receive?(I would love a handbag, a knitted dishcloth set, a coat for my dog...)
Is there something that you would NOT like to receive? (I do not have my ears pierced so no earrings, if I get another tote bag I will cry..)
What type of crafts do you do? - (Be specific - I like to sew handbags and stuffed animals, I crochet doilies, I knit scarves mostly)
Are you allergic or have aversions to anything?
Do you smoke or have any common allergens in your house?
What colors do you like?
What colors do you dislike?
What styles do you like?(goth, country, anything piratey, etc)
Anything else you might like to tell your partner?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 07:02:18 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007 06:38:25 AM »

Thrifty Crafters Signed Up... and number of packages swapping $5 or $10 package...

Posted up your Shopping Tall
NameFeedback left hopefully successfully  Cheesy

1.  Craftydeb --- Craftydeb.....  $5 & 10
2.  DreadJenny   1.....$10
3.  Christinacoghill   2.... $5 & $5
4.  Tanza      2 - $10 
 5.  c_lest_m     1 - $5
6.  Yelley    1 - $10
7.  baby-bumblebee        1 - $10
8.   rratstarr     1   - $10
9.  Miss-Stitchdependent   1 - $10
10.  Leeska - either 1 -$10- or 2 $5 
11.  straw_holder   1 - $10
12.  eye_on_sparrow   1 - $10
13. hardyswanton01  1 - $10
14.  Valsped   2 - $5  &  $5
15.  Kestrel5287 1 - $5/$10 either
16.  lwright311 1  - $5
17.  Coral   1 - $10 or 2 $5
18.  gala_apples 1 - $10
19.  Hammycakes  1 $5 or $10
20.  Mclianne   2 - $10
21.  Dragonflyducky  2 - $10
22.  CAROLE73   2 - $10
23. mamaAnn   1 - $10
24.  Knickertwist   1 - $10
25. gleep    1 - $10
26.   madpimp 1 - $10
27.  stargazersewer  1 - $5
28. Martyx9 1 -  $10
29.  carrieme  1 - $10
30.  Miss*Laurence  2 - $10
31.  Javede 1 - $10
32.  krazy4katz  1 - $5
33.  Curse10 1 - $10
34.  Edud  1 - $10
35.  Sprinklez 1 - $10 or $5 
36.  Suepea  1 - $10 
37.  ss9901  1-$10
38.  Veludo 1-$10
39. Oohmybees 1 - $5
40.  Cyndiq   2 - $10
41.  Myfeet  1 - $10
42. bronzfrog 1/$5 & 1/$10 or 2/$10
43.  Mini 1/$10
44.  Saor 1/$10
45.  Belletexanne 1 $10
46.  MissViolaceous 1 $10
47. Banga 1/$5
48.  Dramatikz 1/$5

49 - catinthehat - angel for yelley!

Replacement for Yelley's angel... EOCrafter
Due 11/13
Thanks EOCrafter for stepping up!  You rock!

Sent
Received
Late with Communication
Late with No Communication

Partners! Partners! Partners!
this list IS NOT FINAL UNTIL 7 PM.
If you are considering joining, please do so - we still have space available!  Lots of space - in fact, I am 5 people short of my goal of 50 crafters!!!

The following Bargain Hunter/Crafters are swapping with each other...
baby-bumblebee <> yelley  $10
Carol73 -> gala_apples $10
carol73  <>  Hardyswanton $10
carrieme <-> Martyx9  $10
Christinacoghill <> stargazersewer  $5
Christina coghill <> c-lest-m  $5
cyndiq <> Tanza - $10
cyndiq <> Craftydeb - $10
Dragonflyducky <> coral $10
dragonflyducky <> Tanza $10
Dreadjunny  <-> veludo $10
Gleep <> madpimp $10
Javede <- eye_on_sparrow $10
knickertwist   <->  edud $10
lwright311 <> Valsped $5
Miss*Laurence <> Mini $10
Miss*Laurence <> Mclianne $10
Miss-stitchdependent<-> ss9901 10
Myfeet <-> Bronzfrog - 10
ohmybees  <>  krazy4katz $5
Rrastarr <> mamaann $10
Saor <-> Hammycakes $10
straw_holder <> craftydeb  $10
Suepea <> Sprinklez $10
Valsped <-> Kestrel5287 $5
Banga <-> Dramatikz $5

And the Krafty Trios are.. drum roll please....
Leeska > Belletexanne   ->Bronzfrog ->  $10
Curse10  -> Mclianne  $10  ->  MissViolaceous
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007 06:51:04 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007 06:38:50 AM »

Questions and Answers
This isn't meant to intimidate or look like there are lots of rules or I'm a stickler.  It's kind of a new idea and I figured I would throw out any questions I could think of that anyone might ask... before they asked.  And I needed to take a break for my project. Fingers were achey so viola... a handy dandy list of questions with answers!

Where can I shop?
Anywhere you want!  Garage sales, thrift stores, clearance racks in your favorite stores, some guy with a table on a street corner...  if you pay for it, you can buy it and send it along!  You won't need to produce your reciepts - just a cool list of what where and how much! 
so it could potentially look like this..
Bag full of zippers... from the smelly guy on 8th ave... $1
package of pompons... thrift store.... 50cents
canvas apron... snobby lobby... $2.50
Bag of knitting needles....garage sale... $2

Your list doesn't have to be exact. You don't need to produce receipts - you just have to keep to your budget and let us see what you got where - it is fun to see how great of a bargain someone can get!

Can I send to more than one person?
Yes!  You can be partnered up with two people - just remember to keep your purchases and your total costs spent separate!
What is more fun than one shopping challenge? Two!
Having said that - first time swappers - one package. (gotta stay uniform with other swaps ya know!)

Can I start shopping before my partner(s) assignment is posted?
You COULD but think ahead - what if you bought a bag full of wool and then find out your partner is allergic to wool... you really can't use it for this swap... or if you bought a bunch of orange fabric and find out your partner really doesn't like orange.  Think about how you would feel if you got it and wondered did my partner even read my info?

I can't stop anyone from shopping early - and it is soooo hard not to - just keep track of your stuff - and if you can use it, go for it.. if you can't, just cross it off your list and look for something else later!

Must I really keep track of what I spent?
Yes - part of the fun of this swap is to see just how much you can stretch a dollar!  Before you can be cleared of the swap you have to post up (preferably after your partner receives so you don't ruin a surprise!) your total tally of what you bought and how much  you spent on each item.  It's not a lot to ask - just keep a running total in a memo pad or a piece of paper in your purse so you know when you have reached your crafty purchase limit.

I got something for free can I use it?
Sure!  Free is the best bargain of all!  But remember free is free - you still have a limit to stick to!  And make sure you tell us in your ending brag about your spending where and how you came upon that - so if you saw someone throwing away a perfectly good picture frame and you dove in to a dumpster to get it - we all really do want to know about it!  Okay, maybe your partner might not like to know about it unless you assure her that you are "one" with lysol!

Must all that I buy be craft related?
No. It doesn't have to be.
Say you are paired up with someone who has a cat.
You buy $5 worth of wool at a thrift store - enough to knit and felt her a kitty pi.
The rest of the dough you can spend on buying themed appropriate things - toys, treats, whatever.  Just keep it appropriate.

There is no requirement for the percentage of the money you spend on your craftable items - it just has to be part of it - if you hit the goldmine and pick up a package of fabric for a buck at a thrift store - then, yeah, you could feasibly spend $9 on things to go with that item - as long as you still make a medium sized item to go in your package!

What can I use that I already have on hand?
Keep it to a minimum.  You don't need to buy a bottle of glue or a new spool of thread - but please keep your on hand supplies to a minimum.  I am sure that you guys understand that - I am not saying you can't use stuff you already have but let's just say 90% of your crafted item should be bargain stuff you purchased - how's that sound?

I guess I could also answer this with a question - do you know how much you paid for it??? If you know you paid $2 a yard for that fabric then I really can't stop you from using it, right?  Just keep in mind this isn't suppose to be a stash busting swap - it's a bargain hunter swap.
Since this is only round one - I know that people will start stock piling bargains and keeping track of what they spent on them for future rounds.  I don't really care when you buy them - just know what you spent on them.  What I want to avoid is just using stuff on hand and claiming that $5 yard fabric really only cost $2 just to unload it out of  your stash.

I want to spoil my partner craftywise - can I?
Being a known spoiler, I am all for spoiling your partner crafty - but you can not spoil her financially - you only have $10 and that is that. So there.
If you want to spoil your partner.. and say you buy $10 worth of yarn.  Yes you can make an entire blanket for your partner if you really feel like it!  I am sure that everyone will still be wanting to break down her door to get that blanket!

Just remember - you are required to send at least a minimum sized crafted item. 

I bought a package of 100 popsicle sticks.  I used 50 of them.. can I keep the rest of them for a future project and only claim half of the cost?
No - you really should send those popsicle sticks to your partner.  I am sure that she will make something with the remainder of them!

Are you really going to hold us to posting up the tally of what we spent on our swap?
Yes. It's not a whole lot to ask I don't think.  You should be proud of your miserly purchases!  It will also be really fun to see how far each of us can stretch that dollar!

I don't have a camera to take pics of what I receive -
what do I do?

It seems like there is a lot of lack of gallery shots in the galleries lately.  I don't know why that is - but I can say after talking to others it really does hurt the senders feelings that pictures are not posted up in the gallery.  Your partner spent a lot of time shopping and crafting and spent more money to send it to you - please find a way to get pictures posted up.
If you know you do not have a camera to take pictures, please tell me, your organizer.  I will do everything in my powers to team you up with someone who will take pictures for you before sending out.. which by the way, you really SHOULD do anyway - just in case something gets lost in the mail...

Do I need to get a DC number/Customs number?
If you are in the US and you ship something - you must get a dc#.  If you are in the US and you are shipping overseass, you will most likely have a customs number - check your receipt - it will be on there.  If you do your postage online, you will get a dc# for free for priority mail and above and you will get a customs number automatically.  It is also a wee bit cheaper - not by much - if you do it online however you don't have the option of first class mail.

I am all about saving money - so if you are in the US - check the calculate postage button on the top of the www.usps.com site and you can figure out how much your package will cost before you send it and all your options.  If you go through the clicknship you will not be able to see how much it will cost for first class mail.  just a tidbit of wonder.

If the items you are sending are thing and dont' make the thickness requirement for a dc # pad it with bubble wrap - or mail it in a bubble wrap package (they sell them rather inexpensively at dollar stores) whatever it takes.  Get your dc#.
It will be notated on your feedback.

TAKE PICTURES OF WHAT YOU SEND!!!
I can not stress that enough - if you have a camera, do yourself a favor and take pictures of what you are sending - this way you can keep them just in case your partner can not/does not post up pics or it sadly gets lost in transit which I really hope does not happen for any of us! 

Dang. This looks like a lot of rules and regulations - is this really going to be any fun?
It's actually pretty simple.  You have $5 or $10 to spend.  You make one medium crafted item. All that you bought/crafted goes in a box and you mail it to your partner.  After your partner gets her package you post up what you bought and how much you spent so we can all revel in your shoppy goddess glow.

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
HAPPY SHOPPING AND MAY THE SALES BE WITH YOU.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007 03:54:41 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007 06:39:27 AM »

The Swap Gallery!!!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=184100.0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 02:11:28 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007 09:48:40 AM »

I wish I could do this one, but I am past my swappy limit!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
auntiem
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 12:49:06 PM »

Oh man, the UK folk will have it rough - they only get 5 bucks according to today's exchange rate.
I'm assuming tax isn't included?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 05:03:03 PM »

Tax and shipping is not included - I have 8% tax across the board here - everything except for garden seeds.

I have changed the $10 usd for it to be $10 across the board - $10usd = $10CAD = $10AUD  = $10 GBP....

I hope someone signs up though!  I think it would be a lot of fun.

I also added a $5 option which could be interesting as well... and might draw some others to join as well if they only had to spend $5 on the swap.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007 05:06:19 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007 05:06:30 PM »

Oh, I just noticed the superlong sign up period!  I can totally sign up later on, after I mail out a couple of other swaps.  Thanks for that, Craftydeb, I thought I would miss it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007 05:13:40 PM »

I have a pile of pamphlets here for you too.... got your daughter's name on them...!  I will ask my mother to see what she can get on the US Virgin Islands too... although those you will have to wait for the fall!

Super long sign up period?  It isn't that long at all - only 2 1/2 weeks!
I hope you can make it!  My head is already thinking of things I would love to make if given the opportunity!  I was out shopping this afternoon and was stalking the remnant bin!  Okay, I bought some but that is so mine! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
jonnamarco

Shave us Messiah!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 05:32:29 PM »

Hmmm, this sounds really fun. I may join, but I am trying to keep myself from swapping for awhile. But, I am all about bargains........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Fit Image in Photoshop
Removing Pimples and Wrinkles in Photoshop
Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image in Lightroom
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 2
How to Add Reflections in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...