A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop Can Purse With Tutorial  (Read 78320 times)
Tags for this thread: capri_sun , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeekMagnet
« on: November 22, 2004 09:21:35 PM »

Pop Can Purse

This is my first completely original project. Yea!  I saw a pattern for crocheted beer can hats a while back and thought that would be awesome as a purse.  I now this is crochet, but the duck tape attempt didn't quite work out.  It's alot like the capri sun bags you see everywhere, but with cans.  The best thing is there are hundreds of different kinds of pop cans to choose from. Ok, here goes my explanation:

SIZE: 10 inches by 7 inches high by 3 inches deep

Materials:

• 10 pop cans, rinsed and dry
    Scissors
    Paper hole punch
    Sport weight Yarn- Im not sure exactly how much, but it didnt seem to use very much of my 3oz. Skein.
    Size H crochet hook
    Sturdy Fabric- I used an old denim skirt
    Sewing machine

The Steps:

1.  Cut open the cans.  Take your scissors and carefully poke a hole in the ingredients list near the top, cut around the top, back down the other side of the can and around the bottom.  You now have a sheet of aluminum can.  Cut a straight line separating the two pictures.
Cut on the dotted lines

2.  Using your scissors, even up the edges of the cans so they are all relatively the same size.  Dont worry if they are slightly different sizes, in the end it wont matter.

3.  Now for the fun part, punching 304 holes! Whoohoo!  Now you really dont need to make your holes that close together, but stay inch away from the edge or else youll punch through the edge and ruin the can. Total of 16 holes in each can.  Do this to 19 squares.  See pictures below for explanation on steps to punching holes.

One hole in each corner

one hole in center of each side

two more holes on each side one between each corner and center.

4.  Now for the easy part, a crocheted border around each square.  Tie the yarn through a center hole.  Draw up a stitch then chain one, single crochet in same hole. Chain one. Two single crochets in next hole, chain on, three single crochets in corner chain one.  Continue around the square with two single crochet in each hole, three in the corners ending by slipstitching to beginning chain.

5.  Whipstitch the squares together using the same color yarn or a contrasting color into the following pattern(note- the side and bottom labels are just for reference):

6.  Now lay the cans as flat as possible and either trace around the cans onto the fabric or measure how big a piece you need.  Make the fabric 1-2 inches larger than you need.

7.  Now, using your handy dandy sewing machine, sew around the outside then down each space between the cans so everything is secure.  It will looked quilted.  This is necessary to keep the cans from becoming mutilated and bent, like my first purse using Squirt cans:

Inside of Purse:

8.  Trim the excess fabric off the edges then whipstitch up the edges to form a bag.  So now you have a bag.  Crochet a handle to fit your bag, slipstitch it on and Viola! Purse!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 09:26:39 AM by GeekMagnet - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004 09:35:26 PM »

That's crazy! Awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004 09:49:17 PM »

that is a FABULOUS tutorial, thank you so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueKiwiCat

Nice to meet you, now run for your life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 05:48:50 AM »

How cute is that!  Great job and thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything less than extraordinary is a waste of my time! (Dream for an Insomniac)
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 10:04:21 AM »

that is totally awesome! i love it! and it doesnt look too hard to do, nice work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
olivias-mommy

"Live, Laugh, Love"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004 04:30:52 AM »

That's So cool!!! I think that I might have to try to make one too!!! Awesome Job!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine!"
atomiqt
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004 08:16:23 PM »

WOW!!!  Shocked  That is cooler than those juice pouch purses!!! (And that is saying something because I have one and I love it...)  Someday, when I become an expert knitter/crotcheter  Wink Roll Eyes I will make that purse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolinAngel07
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004 08:10:04 AM »

That Pop Can Purse is totally cute! It is soO adorable...Oh yeah thanx for the tutorial! Keep up the good work with ur purses and plz keep posting tutorialz@ Shocked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inside4Walls
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004 01:03:53 AM »

I LOVE THE SQUIRT PURSE! It's my all time favorite pop! I would pay  money for that baby! =P I loved the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004 08:37:41 AM »

Fantastic purse!!!  Fantastic tute!!! Thanksssssssssss

atomiqt??? just an idea,  not sure it would work,  maybe you could do a blanket stitch with the holes (instead of the crocheting)?? use a thicker yarn or  go arnd twice using the sport yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
How to Change the Color Of a Car in Photoshop
Adobe Flash Tutorial - How to Make Basic Moving Text
How to Touch Up a Photo in 5 Seconds in Photoshop
How to Use the Glowing Lines Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...