A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dying clothing.  (Read 639 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xfoxglove
« on: June 25, 2007 08:44:49 PM »

hey all.

firstly, if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know or delete it.  i wasn't sure where else to put it.

anyway, i just got a somewhat casual retail job where i can wear any color denim but blue, so i figured i could just dye some of my jeans black and save some money instead of buying new ones.

i got some RIT dye and did the 'stovetop' method, but with hot water in a bucket.  they looked all right last night, but this morning (when dried), they weren't black at all.  they just looked dirty and gross. 

i also tried dying a white camisole.  just plain cottony fabric.  and that looked great, too.  until this morning!  it had these strange brown-y patches.  kind of like... if you bleach out some black t-shirt and it gets that coppery brown color. 

i have no idea what is happening.  i tried doing some research on the web, but every site is giving conflicting answers.

do i have to buy color remover?  or can i dye them again, but use salt?  are my dyed-ugly-blue jeans beyond fixing?

please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
nolicom
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007 10:33:28 PM »

Sorry I can't help, but I would like to know, too! Whenever I try dying something it turns out alright until it dries or I wash it. It becomes all splotchy and ugly.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007 06:57:04 PM »

If you want to dye a garment you have worn & washed a few times start by washing it without detergent & drying without fabric softener- or basicly a good soak & rinse follwed by a hang dry- this gets out stuff that will resist the dye. If it's stretch denim it has man made fibers in it that will not dye or won't dye well- home dyeing really requires pure natural fibers: cotton, linen, silk, wool, ramie.

Always use salt if you fear using soda ash as a fixative. Soda ash is pretty caustic, it's like dealing with chlorine- salt of course you could pour all over yourself to no ill effects.

The blotches on your blouse were from uneven coverage- you have to go poke/ stir/ prod your garment often for an even dye.

I tried dyeing white jeans black with Rit and only succeded in a nice charcoal grey- I think if you want a real black Rit just ain't gonna cut it...get a higher quality dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007 07:08:47 PM »

Black is a hard color in general.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007 07:11:14 PM »

Try some good dyes from dharmatrading.com. They have a black and suggestions on how to get decent results with it, but it is a tricky color. At least it won't wash out. Everything I've dyed with Dharma procion dyes is still nearly as bold as the day I dyed it, and I've worn the heck out of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xfoxglove
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007 10:42:23 AM »

thank you for the replies.

i kept researching online and the general consensus was to use color remover first.
so i went out and bought two packs of that, followed the instructions to remove the color from the cami and the jeans.

there was no change on the jeans at all except for making them fuzzy since they've gone through a lot these past days with all the dying and washing.  the camisole/tank top just got really stiff feeling and the color got slightly lighter.

the color of the jeans aren't ugly, they're just not black.

i'll look into the dyes you all suggested and see what i can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pregnant Stars Rocking Their Style
Cannes Festival 2013: Best and Worst Dressed
Style Evolution: Mila Kunis
Hottest Shoes For The Fall Season
Starshell Discusses Debut, Working With Mary J. Blige & Clothing Line
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...