A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circa 1968 singer model 636 problem  (Read 1126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 25, 2007 06:39:36 PM »

hey everyone, last night my grandmother gave me her singer deluxe zig-zag sewing machine / model 636 to have and use for as long as i want, it hasnt been used since about 1994, ish, and runs really great, no bad noises, nothing...however, the needle thread and the bobbin thread wont engage together to create an actual stitch, and i cant get the bobbin casing ((the piece that turns when you sew that holds onto the bobbin)) to move, and to top it off, i thought it was a minor issue with the bobbin that could be solved by removing the bobbin, clearing it out and putting new thread on it...but no...now it wont even wind the bobbin for me!  so unfortunatly the manual ((the original manual it came with)) doesnt give trouble shooting advice, it just tells you how to operate the machine and actually sew things...and i have no idea what to do, she told me to oil one of the little pieces thats supposed to turn to make the bobbin come in and out...i oiled it went to turn it the right way, and the whole piece came off, just the knob at least, not like, the whole mechanical piece or anything, but none the less in order to move it i know how to use a pair of plyers...but it isnt working still.  so, does anyone know anything about this, because a google search isnt helping me at all...so basically i need to know how to make the bobbin casing move in order to load the bobbin with thread and sew.  i know how to sew with a machine and all that, so the work of it is fine, i just dont know the mechanics...and neither does anyone else around here...or my grandmother, the original owner of the machine.

please help!

thanks everyone!

-Ariel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007 10:13:28 AM »

If it hasn't been used since 1994, I would take it to get a good cleaning and tune-up.  It is a machine and machines need regular cleaning and servicing.  They will also be able to check to see if all the belts are in good shape. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indian Food Style
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 2
How to Make Raw Food California Rolls - Part 1
How to Find Wine Matches for Sushi
How to Make Mongolian Lamb
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...