A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer Book Swap (SIGNUPS CLOSED 6/25/07-7/7/07, SENDOUT 7/16/07)  (Read 3332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzle
« on: June 25, 2007 03:41:13 PM »

Swap name: Summer Book Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: lizzle
Sign-up date range: 6/25/07-7/7/07
Date to send item by: 7/16/07

TONS OF THANKS TO AUNTIEM FOR COMING UP WITH THIS IDEA!

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): For the time being, I'd like to limit it to 20 because this is my first time organizing.  However, if more people want to sign up than that, we can see about expanding it.

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO
If so, which country?

All ages allowed? Or 18+? 16+.  If you are under 18, please make sure that you have your parent/guardian's permission before signing up and that you will be able to have continuous computer access (e.g. at the library or at a friend's house) if you are banned from your home computer.  Also, even though this is 16+, if you don't have a driver's license, please make sure that you will have reliable transportation to the post office so that you can send on time.

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:
Auntiem's description says it best: "I can't be the only one who reads 'trashy' books in the summer. The kind of paperback that is engaging enough, but if it ends up getting dropped off the pier, you wouldn't dive in after it. Or something fun, that you actually enjoy, but don't want your friends knowing you read."
This swap should be pretty quick and easy.  You send a used paperback (or hard cover if you'd really like) that you enjoyed as a frivolous summer read and craft something small for your partner to go with it (along the lines of a bookmark, but it could be something else, as well...maybe a cool pen or a bracelet).  Then you get a new trashy book and small craft back in return.  You shouldn't have to spend money in this swap except for shipping.
Because there is very limited crafting involved and you are sending a book that you already own and have read, I am having sendouts a little more than a week after you get your partner.  That should be plenty of time to get to the post office.
Also, if you would like to send two books instead of one, let me know.  I will try to accomodate your request (though I can't make any guarantees).  Be aware that if you ask to send and receive two books, you may have to ship to two different people, which will increase your shipping cost.  I will try to match you with someone who also wants to send two, but depending on how many people sign up, I cannot promise that that will happen.  Likewise, PLEASE be willing to ship internationally.  This shouldn't be a very heavy package, so it shouldn't be too bad.  If, for some reason, you absolutely cannot send internationally, let me know at signup and I will try to honor your request.

I will leave feedback in the following manner:
Good swapper -- if you fulfilled all swap duties
Good communication/poor communication
Sent early/sent late
No DC # -- if you do not comply with the rule to use DC number (unless shipping internationally, in which case I will need to see a copy of your proof of shipment)

Because we are swapping books, posting photos is not strictly required.  However, everyone likes to see things posted in the gallery, so it would be really fun if everyone could still make an effort to try and post their loot there.

Happy crafting (and reading)!

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap

Craftster username

Email address

Your real name

Mailing address including the country

Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country? (Please say yes!)

What are your favorite book genres (e.g. murder mystery, romance, rich people [i.e. Devil Wears Prada], highbrow trashy [i.e. Carl Hiassen], sci-fi)?  Feel free to list some of your favorite authors here to give your partner some idea of what you're looking for.  Also, if there are any specific books you would absolutely like to get, list them here, though there's no guarantee that your partner will have them to send to you:

Any genres that you would absolutely not like to receive from?

What kind of genres can you send?

Are there any books that you already own and don't want to get again?

Would you like to send one book or two?

Anything else you'd like your partner to know about you?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

List of participants:

1. lizzle
2. auntiem
3. Facesofyellow
4. nevergirl
5. milwjamie
6. annaonthemoon
7. Nikkidear
8. sherpa
9. Molliemoo2883 <first swap--can join no others!>
10. A Capitol Idea

List of who is sending to who:

faces of yellow (1) <---> Auntiem (1)
nevergirl (1) <--> Nikkidear (1)
Milwjamie (2) <-->lizzle (2)
Annaonthemoon (2) <--> A Capitol Idea (2)
Sherpa (2) <--> lizzle (2)
Molliemoo2883 (1) <--> A Capitol Idea (1)

sent with DC #
sent without DC #
received
both
MIA (please, let's not use this)
feedback left

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007 11:28:35 AM by Lizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Queen of the Savages
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007 09:47:14 PM »

Mmmm I have to think about this one.
Even though the send out is before my vacation, it might not be the best idea.

I'll be stalking fo sho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Facesofyellow
Unlike you, I like flying.

Clockmaster.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007 06:58:33 AM »

Just sent my info! Can't wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leaving another day behind.

www.wists.com/Facesofyellow
Lizzle
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007 08:37:39 AM »

Mmmm I have to think about this one.
Even though the send out is before my vacation, it might not be the best idea.

I'll be stalking fo sho.

You should absolutely join.  If it's before vacation, then you can get something good to read while you're on your trip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007 05:52:08 PM »

awwww - I got oh so excited, but you have to complete 2 swaps.  huh? 2?  man, that sucks - guess I will have to skip off to find a different swap so I can make it up to two whole swaps!

Okay - I am a moron.  As soon as my first swap clears I am good to go!  I love to read, so this is great, great, great.  So much fun.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007 05:55:15 PM by moecantsew - Reason: uh, I cannot read... » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grahairedoldlady
Grahairedoldlady

Believe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 08:24:22 PM »

Book Swap sounds great.  I always have one I am reading and like another as back up.  Can't wait to join a swap.  I will keep all the books I read from now on.  Mystery and romance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chocolate is womens reward for putting up with men.
Lizzle
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007 09:18:15 AM »

Hey grahaired,

Unfortunately, you won't be able to join this swap.  To join Craftster swaps, you have to have been a member for 1 month and have posted at least 15 times.  However, never fear!  Once this one is over, as long as people are interested, I'll happily start a round 2.  I hope we'll see you then.

Cheers,
Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auntiem
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007 10:21:58 AM »

I got my SO to volunteer to cover the sci-fi genre should my partner be a fan of sci-fi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevergirl

lalalalalaLAlalalalala

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007 06:22:24 PM »

I'm in! Yay! This is SO my kind of swap. I live in Portland, OR.. and for those of you familiar with the town you must know this means I live only blocks away from the worlds largest used bookstore, Powells! Woot!

As you can imagine, my bookshelves overflowith  Grin  Hee.

Can't wait to get to swapping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007 09:01:18 AM »

Green with envy Smiley
My friends in Portland always laugh at me when I visit because that is the first place I want to go. Powells online is the second best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Become a Professional Jewelry Maker
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
How to Make Hemp Bracelets
How to Choose a Jewelry Making Kit
Essential Jewelry Making Supplies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...