A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 311,445
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A very specific question needing a specific answer  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

letusplay
« on: June 25, 2007 08:31:36 AM »

i am now working on cold process.

i have done three batches.
only one turned out okay, but i dont like it much.

i cant find recipes for the kind of soap making i want to do.

i have been using the CPOP method, and in the two batches the coconut oil melted in the oven to a mess.  i mixed until i reached a VERY thick trace too.  was my coconut oil ratio too high?\

and does anyone have an awesome CPOP recipe involving olive oil, canola oil, and coconut oil?  (those are the oils i have ahaha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beforetherain
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007 10:57:40 AM »

Without seeing your recipe it's impossible to know if you are using too much oil or not.

I think your problem is one of three things.

1. You're not running your recipe through a calculator before making it therefore the percentage could be off and you could be super fatting it too much and causing the extra oil that does not react to the lye to ooze out. You need to ALWAYS run a batch through a calculator before making it for the first time no matter where you get your recipe from. Here is one calculator you can use: http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp

2. You are overheating your soap. This can cause a "volcano" reaction. In that case you need to either soap at a lower temp or you need to review how to do the CPOP method and make sure that you're not getting your heat too high in the oven.

3. You're not melting down your oils before mixing with your lye solution. Your coconut oil should already be melted down to a liquid form when you mix it with your lye solution so there should not be any further melting after that.

If you're brand new to this you may want to try making a one oil soap first to get the hang of the process before continuing with the three oils. Olive makes a nice (some people find it slimey but it's great after a long cure) soap by itself.   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007 11:00:08 AM by beforetherain » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhHappyDay
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007 12:20:41 PM »

If I remember right you didn't have a digital scale, right? It's really impossible to measure properly for soap making without one. Measuring by volume is rather sketchy and it isn't accurate enough....you may get lucky but it's just as likely you'll have a mess on your hands because in a small batch of soap (under 3-4 pounds of oils) a half an ounce of lye could mean a gigantic difference. You need a scale that measure to the 10th o an ounce at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snyderwagon
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007 08:32:27 AM »

I use those three oils all the time, usually 1/3 of each.

You MUST weigh them with a digital scale and you MUST watch the temp of the lye and oils. CP soap is all about the chemistry, so be exact! Otherwise, as long as you are using a good recipe, it should work fine.

I mix my oil & lye when they hit 120 degrees and use a stick blender. It traces in about five or ten minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

letusplay
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007 09:39:04 AM »

my parents actually bought me a scale haha.  i used it.

I still dont have a clue what went on, i am assuming it just wasnt mixed well enough. 

i have made 7 batches since then, using the same recipe.  the only thing i have done differently is purchased a used blender, and i use that to mix.  And the soap has turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snyderwagon
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007 12:47:48 PM »

I used to use a spoon, wanting to be all Old Timey....

Yeah, a blender is the BESTEST.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Super-Fast Haircut and a Bold Lip Can Boost Your Confidence
Beauty on a Budget
Halloween Face Painting Tips
The Hottest Beauty Trends
Solutions for Summer Skin Issues
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...