A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I call it Vera [a tribute to Jayne Cobb]  (Read 5535 times)
Tags for this thread: firefly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 24, 2007 08:21:27 PM »

Because I like to hide my 'squeeing fangirl' behind a thin layer of subtlety, instead of going in costume to Saturday's CantStopTheSerenity charity screening of the ever awesome Serenity [those of you who haven't seen it borrow it. Go Now. I'll wait.] I spent all of friday designing and then making up a bag that proclaims my fannish allegiance.

So here I present to you, the Jayne Bag.

unfortunately it was a little too subtle. No one noticed it. Oh well, I adores it anyway.

For those who want actual specifics and specs; The bag is made of medium weight calico and black cotton homespun, the lining is black polypop, a lightweight cotton polyester blend. The design was photoshopped and then transferred to the calico using Avery Iron on Transfers for light coloured fabrics. The design is the same on both sides. The quotes in black are by Jayne, those in blue about or too Jayne and the one in red is meant to point to to what the rest refer.

It was an absolute labour of love. I had to unpick the base numerous times as I kept messing it up and I screwed up and then fudged the handles cause I was sick of unpicking by that stage. I took it to the Screening and carried it proudly. It held my wallet, mobile phone, digicam, a note pad and pen, two CSTS shirts and the Juggling Goslings I won in the charity auction without drama. I wondered if it was not a little bit "Mary Poppin's Carpet Bag" at that point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007 09:15:33 PM »

AAAHHHH. I love it!!!!!! I truly do. I love "Serenity".
The bag is a eloquent tribute to Jayne, perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlepunkkitty
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007 09:47:43 PM »

i'm glad to see i'm not alone in my firefly obsession!  this is awesome!  great job Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnightoak
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007 12:14:57 AM »

Wow that is a geeky bag I could take to work and not worry about my boss (or other high up people) seeing!
Nice work. Did you write up all the text yourself or is it a mixture of quotes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharre

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007 12:19:45 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Midnightoak: all of the text is quotes from Firefly and Serenity, although I realised once I had finished I had missed putting some of my favourite 'Jayne moments' Oh well.

I'm thinking I need a Mal bag as well  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
katiebread
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007 05:04:01 AM »

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  You should sell them.  I would totally shell out money for that.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 11:10:55 AM »

GorRRRAM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
sharre

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 10:39:00 PM »

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  You should sell them.  I would totally shell out money for that.  Shocked

I have had a few of my friends say that I should sell them as well but honestly, if you are making them for other people you can't fudge anything that isn't quite working and it loses some of the fun too I think.

But I am glad you liked it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wicked Slinky
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007 12:06:04 AM »

Ooooohh my geeky little Joss-Whedon obsessed heart beats for your bag, that's awesome! I think the level of subtlety is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 08:18:11 PM »

Wonderful bag, Sharre.  And also ...?  You went to Can't Stop the Serenity in Australia!!  (I checked your profile to be sure we didn't miss your awesome bag on our "costume watch" here in Wash, DC....)  That is so cool!  It really was an international event!

For you Whedon fans who didn't make C.S.theS., have you seen his speech to Equality Now about why he writes strong female characters?  Amazing.  If you missed it, there's a link to the video in my blog, below. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naked Contortionist Models Transformed Into Animals By Body Paint
Art of VIBE: Pete McKee Animates London
Art of VIBE: Michalopoulos Channels New Orleans & Music In His Art
11-Year-Old To Credit For Gorgeous Animated Google Doodle
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...