A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bed canopy?  (Read 1157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« on: June 24, 2007 07:49:16 PM »

ok....I want a bed canopy.
Black to be exact....so, would I be better off buying one or making one?
they run at least 20 bucks. what do you think?
I liek these two.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MargiePoo
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007 08:01:46 PM »

It would probably be cheaper to make one, if the cost is on your mind.  If you watch joann's, the tulle goes on sale everyonce in a while.  and even with out a sale, that stuff is dirt cheap.  I just sold a lady 30 yards of red tulle for like 15 bucks; way more than you would probably need.  now  i'm not really sure about suppending it.  That may be a whole nother story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baby-bumblebee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007 08:30:43 PM »

I really want one too! I like the second pic best and I think it would be way cheaper to make it yourself. The second pic you could use plant hooks to hold up the tulle and the first you could get to macrame (spelling) hoops and use those some how.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
Sammiedora
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007 11:44:44 PM »

I had one like the first one and it utilizes a large, wooden hoop.

The actual canopy is old, torn, and someone left an open marker or something on the bottom of it and it's stained, like, purple. The darn thing was so annoying when I'd wake up and forget it was there, or if the phone rang and was out of reach.

But if you still really want one... I'd say buy one. They're not much, and I'm not sure where you'd get a large enough piece for it. I don't know.

That's not the Craftster Way, though, is it? ^_^ Meh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007 06:58:21 AM »

I have the one on the bottom. I LOVE it. I bought it at a store in the mall, I don't remember which one though.
The top looks like it would be cheaper to make (not as much fabric). It doesn't look that tough to make.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007 07:52:54 AM »

I have the one on the bottom. I LOVE it. I bought it at a store in the mall, I don't remember which one though.
The top looks like it would be cheaper to make (not as much fabric). It doesn't look that tough to make.  Smiley

yeah I love the bottom one.
I think they sell it at spencers or hot topic...but I dont want to go alll the way to the mall(1 hour).
I can probably find one around here...

Do you guys think I could dye the fabric easily or would it just be a pain.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 08:10:18 AM »

dyeing fabric can be a very "iffy" process, some fabrics don't take dye at all, it just washes out, sometimes it streaks. I'd say just buy one and then later if you decide to change the fabric, you'd have the framework to suspend the new one from
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 11:58:21 AM »

dyeing fabric can be a very "iffy" process, some fabrics don't take dye at all, it just washes out, sometimes it streaks. I'd say just buy one and then later if you decide to change the fabric, you'd have the framework to suspend the new one from

Very good point, but try a small piece of what you want to use first, to see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007 03:19:08 PM »

I'm kinda with Sammiedora...
I had one too, and however romantic it appears, it really is not all that practical, and is quite annoying to wrestle your way out of it to get to your blaring alarm clock!!! Also, my dog kept trying to jump in and out of it and getting herself all tangled up adding big snags and holes... I think I only kept mine in place for about 6 months before I admited defeat! I think it would work much better hanging over a chair or small couch in your room (if you have that much space) and always kinda 'propped open' rahter than pulled tight around the furniture!

I will also agree that you should just buy it. I got mine at Ikea, and it was about 20 bucks. I did go through the throws of guilt thinking it would be much easier to make myself, but once I got it in hand... I didn't think I would be able to find tulle that was wide enough to not have to splice together and then what? You have a big seam (or two)... just go buy it. That's what I suggest! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007 05:18:37 PM »

yeah...I think Im going to have to buy one.
I was thinking I could also  buy one for my chair...eventually.
I have always wanted one.  Grin
So I will find one that I like....eventually.lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilling Without The Grill: Steak With Bourbon Butter Sauce
Secret Menu at Smashburger Goes to the Dogs
Sausage Fest: Homemade Links
Bacon-Themed Dinner For Dad
A Fathers Day Breakfast
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...