A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats! Legwarmers! Oh my!  (Read 3915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auroravioletta
« on: November 22, 2004 01:37:03 PM »

Hey!
This is the first hat I ever made. It was about a year ago, when I was just learning to crochet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/auroravioletta/myfirsthat.jpg

Then this year, I decided to make matching legwarmers, because legwarmers rock!
So I made these. (okay, they turned out more like ankle-warmers.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/auroravioletta/legwarmers.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/auroravioletta/legwarmer.jpg
The hat and legwarmers are made from lionbrand Jiffy yarn. It took 3 skeins total, one of each color. The legwarmers are so short because I ran out of black and purple.

But, I still had enough green to make myself another hat!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/auroravioletta/myfifthhat.jpg

The blue stripes are bernat Boucle. All I have to say about that is: Pure. Evil. But it's not so bad to work with when paired with the Jiffy yarn.

I love hats!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/auroravioletta/grin.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 08:32:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
Laamissa
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004 06:44:10 PM »

Wow! Great Work!!!
I cant believe that you dared to use boucle on a hat....it really is EVIL STUFF (but the hat came out awesome)

Really nice 1st hat project too
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
auroravioletta
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004 08:06:50 PM »

Thanks!

Oh, and I can post the patterns if anyone cares to know.
They were all pretty easy.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blond_gurl
Must sew to look like Eastern European countess.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004 02:53:49 PM »

Post the pattern! be a rebel and take up a lot of space! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the lunch bell rings, why don't you eat me?
hudelei
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004 04:42:38 AM »

Ooh, I'm always looking for more good hat patterns.  Post!  Post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004 06:01:31 AM »

Okay!

The green and blue hat was the easiest, so I'll start with that.

Basically, you make a flat circle about 5 or 6 inches in diameter, and add a straight cylender (sp?) to the desired length.
It's done entirely in double crochet. I used a K hook.

So:

Ch 4 and join with sl st to form a ring
Ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and add 11 dc around the ring (12 total)
Join with sl st and ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and dc 2 into each stitch (24 total)
Join with sl st and ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and dc 2 into every other stitch (36 total)
Join with sl st and ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and dc 2 into every 3rd stitch (48 total)
Join with sl st and ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and dc 2 into every 4th stitch (60 total)
Join with sl st

With the yarn I used,  this made a 6 inch diameter circle. Go for 5 or 5 1/2 inches if you want a snugger fit or have a smaller head.
If the guage is smaller, just bring it to 6 inches by continuing the pattern to make a flat circle (2 dc in every 5th stitch, then every 6th, etc until the circle is big enough).

Next, start making a tube.
Either fasten off and add the 2nd color here, or just continue with the same.
Either way...

Ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) and dc 59 (60 total) or as many as you need to have just 1 dc in each stitch
Repeat this until the desired length is reached. From the edge of the top circle, mine is about 4 1/2 inches, but you could do 6 1/2 or 7 if you want a cuff.

For my stripes, I alternated 3 rows of blue, 3 rows of green, and 2 rows of blue finished it.

I love this hat pattern because it's so simple, and because you can really use just about any guage/yarn/hook size as long as you end up with the same general dimensions (and the dimensions are simple enough that you can do that and not get confused). And it's fast! It only took me one evening to make this one. Two, when I use a thinner yarn.

I've done a number of variations, too. I made one with earflaps, added edgings, made textured stripes by crocheting in the posts. All kinds of fun stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004 06:38:15 AM »

Hat number two! Whee!

First, I made 5 triangles using a basic granny-square technique. My hat came out a little big, though, so unless you have really big hair (alas, I don't, so my hat is very loose on me) I'd do 4.

Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring
Ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) dc2, ch 2, dc 3, ch 2, dc 3, ch 2, join with sl st to 1st dc/chain, fasten off
 With another color, Ch 2 (counts as 1 dc) dc 2 ch 2, dc 3 ch 2, dc 3 ch2, dc3 ch2... follow this general pattern so there's 1 dc cluster in each space, and two on each corner. 3 rows altogether, each a different color. Each side of my triangles was about 4 1/2 inches.

Make 4 (or 5 for a big hat) and join at the sides with single crochet to form a little dome. The side where the single crochet seams stick out is the inside.

Now, at the edge of the dome, attach a new yarn in one of the ch2 spaces. Ch 2 here (counts as 1 dc) and continue following the exact same granny-pattern around the dome (3dc in the ch2 space, ch 2, 3dc in the next ch2 space, ch2, etc etc, sl st to join, ch 2 add a new row and so on) to make a total of 5 rows, or 3 inches.

Next you add the cuff. Instead of crocheting into the spaces, now crochet into the actual stitches. Put 1dc into every stitch. Make 3 rows like this. I used a different color for the cuff, to match the colors I used in the triangles. Actually I did 2 rows of the second color, and one row of the third.

In the third color, I added a scalloped edge, following the pattern 3dc, skip one stitch, 1sc, skip one stitch, repeat.
That's it!

Boy, that pattern confused even me!

Sorry if this pattern seems a little muddled. Basically it's just the same stitch pattern until you hit the cuff. Maybe I could explain this one better with pictures.... I'm really better with visuals when it comes to learning/showing people how to make things.... Would that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004 06:46:51 AM »

For the legwarmers I modified this pattern: http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/legwar.html

I made it faster by making the bottom cuff only 5 rows instead of 8, followed by only 5 rows of hdc. I filled in the middle with dc, and made the top cuff with 5 rows of hdc instead of 10 rows of sc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

justwantacraft
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004 07:13:16 AM »

Such a cute outfit you created I love the shoes too! Great work!
I just finished this hat but you will have to buy the pattern at yarn store or online somewhere. But this hat turned out so damn cute and only takes a few hours to make.
http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/Crochet-Hat-Patternseg.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroravioletta
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004 05:24:49 AM »

Oh that is such a pretty hat!
I have a similar pattern somewhere... must go find it!
(well, as soon as my wrists are up to it again...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Twist On Classic Labor Day Treats
Bring A Modern Flair To Classic Labor Day Dishes
How to Make a Brick Oven Style Prosciutto Arugula Pizza
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...