A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,475
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: we're planning to move from vermont  (Read 1771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KendraLandstander

Fandango . . . ? Ho- hobo camp? HOBO CAMP!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2007 04:55:49 PM »

to New Orleans.

a few concerns:

we're used to 650-700$ rent (1 bdr).  is that comprable?

how bike-friendly is new orleans? 

is the move worth is what with all the college students?

any neighborhoods we should avoid?

any response will help.

k.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll only private swap with you if you swear to read my blog everyday. SWEAR IT!

http://madeofmagic.blog.com

Ravelry.com: ridebikes
manta birostris
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007 06:32:26 AM »

New Orleans is great! You'll love it despite the rent. Your price range is more like pre-Katrina levels. Now, you'll definitely be able to find a 1br for 700 but it may be small or in a less desireable area. If you want to live in Marigny, Mid-City, Uptown, Treme or Bywater expect to pay close to $1000.

Biking: I bike everywhere everyday. It's not the easiest thing because of the proximity of grocery stores and amenities not to mention the overbearing heat, but it's possible to be relatively happy without a car. Public transit is kind of in a rut right now. I've given up trying to take the bus to work and still be on time. Streetcars are running on limited routes but will be coming back. (!!) You can also get a card to be able to mount your bike on a rack on the bus so you can take your bike with you while riding public transit.

I think that it would be worth a move especially if you have job options already. I love this city. New Orleans isn't over-ridden with college students. There are a few colleges and universities around, but don't think of college bars on every corner.

In terms of neighborhoods, you just have to check out the area. Many people will tell you to avoid certain areas that had a reputation 20 years ago for being dangerous. But New Orleans really isn't dangerous as long as you are aware of your surroundings and you're not doing stupid things. Just check out the area and if you feel comfortable, you'll be fine. If you're biking everywhere, I would recommend Uptown or the CBD or the French Quarter or Marigny. I would avoid the areas that haven't been rebuilt yet. I would definitely recommend that you have neighbors in whatever neighborhood you choose.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KendraLandstander

Fandango . . . ? Ho- hobo camp? HOBO CAMP!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007 06:38:33 AM »

great information.

thank you so much!

we won't be leaving until february (we're going to spend the winter converting a van to biodielsel so we can drive down), but we're very excited.

thanks again,

Kendra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll only private swap with you if you swear to read my blog everyday. SWEAR IT!

http://madeofmagic.blog.com

Ravelry.com: ridebikes
uproar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007 04:24:41 PM »

I pretty much agree with everything manta mentioned.  Apartment prices have definitely come back down since the post-Katrina surge.  The only thing to watch out for is they just recently issued re-assessments of property taxes...many homeowners found that their rates have nearly doubled, even when the realistic value of the property hasn't gone up (our local government is notoriously corrupt, I really have no explanation other than that).  So I could see apartment prices seeing a sharp price hike once those new rates actually go into affect.  Something to watch out for, for sure.

The city is very bike friendly...most people ride cruiser style bikes...since we have no real terrain to speak of (except for killer potholes) there's not really any need for lots of fancy gears or mountain bikes.  There are quite a few good bike shops around town, plus the Bike Project in the Marigny will help you learn to repair a bike yourself.

While I'm originally from the MS Coast, about an hour away from New Orleans, I moved here permanently to go to school at Loyola, and I've been here ever since (about 5 or 6 years now).  Most of the Tulane and Loyola kids stay around the uptown area for the most part, so unless you're looking for an apartment on Broadway (which is pretty much frat row), you'll probably be okay.  Mid-city, the Marigny/Bywater, and the Lower Garden District are all great neighborhoods, and you can often get good deals on apartments in the French Quarter if that's something you're interested in.  About half of my friends live in the Quarter. 

One thing to consider lately is our stupid energy bills.  There's only one local energy supplier, Entergy, and they suck.  Seriously.  I hate them.  They're a monopoly here and I feel like they charge whatever they want when it comes to electricity and gas prices. 

Also, make sure you plan ahead for possible evacuations...have an emergency plan ready.  It's especially important if you have kids, pets or anything like that.  It was important pre-Katrina, but it's especially important to have plans in place these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 12:00:50 AM »

and remember, dawlin', no meat in your freezer until after hurricane season is over, okay?

Cheesy

seriously, though, yay! more crafty folk in NO!
You will love New Orleans, I promise. you will probably experience a slight culture shock, so here's a few tips:

a sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, and pretty much everything on it is "dressed".
a poboy is a delicious wonder that you should make a point to enjoy. in fact, if you aren't used to living in a city that's all about food, get ready. new orleans is wonderful in that aspect.
as long as you do not say "new or-leens" we will be kind. "new or-lins" however, is an acceptable compromise.

as far as safety concerns:
as previous poster said, there aren't necessarily neighborhoods you should always avoid all the time. however, simply acting intelligent should keep you safe. Smiley keep to well populated areas at night, don't go exploring after dark, and if you can, get a native to tell you where you should visit first...then, after you've been here a while, you can venture out.

New Orleans is a lovely place. I hope you enjoy it here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Blanket Part 2/3
How to Crochet a Wavy Blanket Part 1/3
Homemade and DIY Gift Ideas: PopSugar’s Holiday Gift Guide
How to Control Tension in Crochet
How to Crochet Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...