A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pirate frock coat?  (Read 9144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlndocs
God knows I'm all about funny little niches

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007 02:47:07 PM »

I searched "pirate" but surprisingly didn't turn up anything in this forum!

Renfair is coming up and I'd like to try my hand at a simple "pirate coat" for the hubby. I'm probably an, um, advanced-intermediate sewer?

The Simplicity 4923 is probably about right:

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=search.cfm&numMatch=2&design_id=11806&design=4923&thumbnail_image=4923t.jpg&ldesc=Men%27s%20Costume&size_range=XS%20to%20XL%20%2832%20to%2048%29

Any experiences with it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kristin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://herebirdiebirdie.etsy.com vintage and vintage-inspired aprons, skirts and accessories
The_Final_Beast
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007 10:22:27 PM »

Oh I have just the place for you!

http://www.patternsoftime.com/products.asp?cat=18

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessnoyes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 09:19:23 PM »

I made the coat from that pattern for my hubby for Renfaire this year. I was ready for a fight with the pattern and tears and frustration, but it never happened. It went together really fast with no complications (that I can remember lol). I did the majority of the coat in one afternoon/evening and finished up the hemming the next morning.

The coat has no lining so the front and neck facings flap about unless you tack them down. I just used some interfacing and made sure it was hidden.

There are a few reviews at sewing.patternrevie w.com if you're interested. I would say go for it. The hardest part is finding the buttons  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlndocs
God knows I'm all about funny little niches

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 06:46:47 PM »

Thanks all. A member of a historical pirate reenactment group pointed me to a place called reconstructinghisto ry.com, which has a number of  patterns for historically correct jackets and coats. I decided to go with a pattern for a common sailor's jacket instead, as it doesn't need to be lined, and that's a plus for Renfair in August.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://herebirdiebirdie.etsy.com vintage and vintage-inspired aprons, skirts and accessories
deSamothrace
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007 05:54:13 AM »

just to help out.  I did make that coat a few months ago.  I realized that for a pirate coat, the pattern was pretty sad.

I actually used it instead to make a Willy Wonka Jacket.  The coat was white and the alternating skirt tails were orange and burgundy.

Turned out excellent. Comparable to the newer movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eridun
so many patterns, so little time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007 02:36:28 PM »

I have that pattern, got it from a friend and now I'm realizing why she gave it up... good to know that it works for a Wonka coat.  I knew it wasn't period and wasn't going to use it for anything sca or ren faire related but wow, that's a leap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

photograph, sew, photograph, sew, school, work, sew, photograph, sew, camp, sew... yay adhd!
leiax13
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007 02:09:41 AM »

i just made the breeches from that pattern- they turned out alright, the facings gave me grief, (why do they have you cut first and then sew?Huh? instead of sewing it and then slitting)

i think that the frustration was worth it, tho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i make clothes for imaginary people  Smiley
Xadrian
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007 01:03:25 PM »

Speaking of the breeches..I've been working on them the last week, and the last four days I've been stuck on the slit/assemble flaps part. When I put it together and position it to how it should lay once the pants are finished it looks a wreck. Something is very wrong and I've undone and redone several times. Might anyone have a close up pic of the pants they could post or send me? A pic of the pants in the front and from the inside. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulkycat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008 07:45:28 AM »

i know this reply is much much later than the original posting, but i made this pattern (after spending a large amount on good quality velvet, & some purple shimmery fabric to line it) - & refuse to finish it, i thought it was rubbish

didnt look right, didnt go together well, didnt hang well - & most definitely wasnt anything like the pirate coat i had imagined!

(& i have oodles of sewing experience, used to sew professionally, this goes down as one of my most disliked patterns ever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nonesuch
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008 04:51:11 AM »

I would warn away from reconstructing history patterns.  The only one I tried was poorly written and illustrated.  I don't expect to use the illustrations to assemble, but a clear idea of which hat is view 1, or 2, would be most helpful.  What's more, the pattern pieces didn't fit together at all.  I've sewn for a number of years, and I know some pieces are eased together, and some construction is not straightforward, but this was beyond that. 

When I emailed the company, the owner told me the "wrong file" had been sent to the printer - - but  she decided to sell the resulting patterns anyway!  Even though she knew they were wrong!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mangospanker

yeah...I'm that sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008 10:42:53 AM »

as for the simplicity pattern, you can make it more swishey by altering the godets to be more like half circles, the pirates of ill repute did a panel at star fest last spring and handed out a sheet with alterations to make to that pattern and that was the most obvious one. i can't find the sheet right now or i'd probably scan it, basically the coat should end in practically a simulated circle skirt to get an effect like jack sparrows, but unaltered its barely a 1/4 or 1/2 circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeover - Theodore Leaf Responds to Viewer Questions
3 Habits That Damage Your Hair and How to Avoid Them
Celebrity Hair Trend: Braided Chignon
Jennifer Aniston Sports Shorter Hair Cut
Three Back-to-School Braided Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...