A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inspiration?  (Read 617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ImaginationsEnd
« on: June 24, 2007 01:47:42 PM »

What inspires you guys? What inspires you to knit? What makes you want to finish a project?

If you design your own knitting projects, where do you draw your inspiration from? What would you say your style is, if you have one? What do you think is missing from the knitting world that you love thoroughly?

Just curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
badass knitter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007 02:59:24 PM »

What gives me insparation to finish something is the satisfaction that you get when you are done. Smiley  And what inspires me to knit?hmmmmmmmmmmm................. Huh Well I like to pick patterns that i am very intrested in so that when i am knitting them i don't give up cuz if i pick something that i'm not passionate about i end up leaving it. Hope this helps. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting- if everyone did it there would be less problems in the world.
SO MUCH YARN!!!....... so little time!!
Any good patterns you see please send me a message about them.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007 03:33:11 PM »

I think I was originally inspired to knit because my grandma does.  In fact, most of the women in my family do.  Now that I've got it all down, I am inspired to keep going... well, because I'm obsessed.  It's sort of disgusting, but I can't stop!  I'm usually driven to finish a project by anticipation of its outcome.  I love socks because it's an adventure to see if I can make a matching pair.  I'm not really into knitting big things, though, cause they take too long.

I don't really design, but I saw a lady at Costco a couple of years ago wearing this amazing cardigan.  I found a pattern that was close enough for the shape (but it's a crochet pattern) and then found the very same stitch in one of my craft books.  I never managed it due to the conversion from crochet to knit, but I still want to do it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007 04:26:51 PM »

I was initially inspired to start knitting because my mum does.  Now I'm inspired to knit because it's cool to make stuff and I see so many gorgeous patterns out there with the shaping and the interesting stitches, that I just have to keep going so I can KNIT THEM ALL!  Cool

I don't design patterns, although I have just modified my first sock pattern which felt really cool (until I worked out I'd made the foot of the second sock 10 rows longer than the foot of the first . . .  Embarrassed) but you live and learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
clicksticks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007 04:57:05 PM »

I love having cool one-of-a-kind clothing.

As for coming up with stuff to knit, usually I see something I like the look of and use that as a base to work off of--although my finished product generally winds up looking pretty different!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007 07:59:08 AM »

what inspired me to pick it up? i've been crocheting since i was 7. always felt the cool patterns were knit, not crochet. so i taught myself with the use of the internet at age 27.

what inspires me to keep knitting? craft night and craftster. there's a bit of a competativeness to my knitting. i love to see what others are doing and i want to do what they are doing and i want to do something they aren't doing. craftster and craft night every wednesday, keeps that fire alive. *sounds dorky, but oh so true*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 05:43:17 PM »

I first learned to knit 3 or so years ago because i'm a larger gal, and really really wanted some rockabilly cardigans with skulls on them - that fitted.

Still havent made the cardigans, but thoroughly enjoying knitting though!

I get inspired by Ysolda, Monster Crochet and SewRetro. I have a few lists stuck on my wall to keep me going - WIP lists with big tick boxes so I know what I still have to finish, and WISTs so I know what I want to make. I try not to add something to my WIP list until I've ticked something off....
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellokittyonacid
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 06:46:16 PM »

what inspires me in my knitting is whatever isee and hear. if i want to feel all hirrie i make a big green sweater, or if i want to feel uber fashionable, a mustard coloured bag. feel your knitting, it'll inspire you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007 07:08:43 PM »

Great answers guys. I picked up my knitting because of my grandma. She taught me.

I keep knitting because I can't stop...but sometimes I need a kick to keep going. Which is why I asked you guys about everything.

Thanks for the insightful responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 06:06:22 AM »

What inspires you guys? What inspires you to knit? What makes you want to finish a project?

If you design your own knitting projects, where do you draw your inspiration from? What would you say your style is, if you have one? What do you think is missing from the knitting world that you love thoroughly?

Just curious.

Inspires me to knit?  I have knit for years but I keep knitting because there continues to be such interesting patterns and patterns that accommodate plus size women.  Also, the yarns inspire me. 

What makes me want to finish a project?  This varies...I have an EZ Pi shawl that is literally a year and a half old but the edging is dragging on and on and that is making me NOT want to finish it.  Other projects (boring, slow moving) just do not motivate me. 

I am not near designing yet....something is keeping me from moving into that area - some mental block of some sort.  Only time will tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Chip Calzone Recipe
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookie Recipe
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Swirl Cake Recipe
Sriracha Candy Cane Chocolate Hearts Recipe
How to Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...