A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Textiles Across the Boarder  (Read 1144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 24, 2007 01:28:14 PM »

I recently went on holiday to the states to visit friends and family. Since I knew I'd be gone for a couple weeks I brought my hats (listed on etsy) with me, as well as about $13 worth of fabric and $5 worth of notions for making stuffed toys. My boyfriend, an american citizen drove. I'm a canadian citizen. We're both in our early 20s, and live with two other room mates here in Toronto.  The woman at the border gave us the absolute 3rd degree when we tried to cross asking us where we lived, if I visited him or if he visited me, how long we'd been together, who we lived with when at school, if our school residence was our permanent residence, where our parents were, and basically implying he was sneaking me across the border so we could elope in vegas thereby steal me an american citizenship. She then proceeded to search the car and found my hats, and grilled me about them. I didn't have a Textiles Declairation, nor did I know I needed one for just under $300 worth of merchandise listed online. She ended up sending us over to customs where we stood around for over an hour and of course were denied entry into the states. The lady on the canadian side laughed when she read our rejection paper because under our reason for refusal it simply said, "HATS" in big red letters. So we had to go back to my mum's place (which was only about an hour away), and we left the hats with her. On the second attempt the border crossing guard found my almost $20 worth of supplies and we nearly got denied entry again.

And the only reason I'm telling you this story is because you may know someone in a similar situation, or you may be in a similar situation. I just want to make sure as many canadians as possible know that they need a textiles declairation for textiles they bring across, even if those textiles are only going to be sold on etsy. Either that or lie and tell them those 20 handbags are gifts ;]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Apple-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Athletic Body
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...