A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Argh! My pants got caught in the washer so now became a pleated miniskirt.  (Read 3279 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007 09:57:33 AM »

OK, stupid me. At least I'm in the right forum now.  Cry

My tan pants got caught under the agitator of my washer. Ugh. I couldn't free them. So I finished the other two loads while they churned at the bottom.

When they were finally freed , he handed the wrinkled pants to me with the inseam torn out and a big patch that looked bleached.

"Trashed."
"No, not yet."

They sat in the spare room for a while waiting for insperation. Finally, the tan pants became a tan miniskirt with box pleats that looks like this:

OK.   It's too short,    but it's all the good tan fabric I had available to re-use. It was fun to make, though. It took a while because it's all hand sewn with contrasting brown thread. In this picture, I folded the elastic waistband under. I think it looks better this way. If I was to be bold and actually wear this outside my room    I would loose the elastic band, make a fitted waist, and add a rear zipper. So, I guess, it will hang with the dreaded red dress and my other ~not meant for my age and figure reconned stuff for fun~ things for a while. 

Here it is on the hanger. If you look close, you can see the contrasting thread.

and on my fuzzy chair:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
Mizua

sanity is overrated.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007 10:01:09 AM »

It looks so cute! What you could do, if you wanted to make it a bit longer so you can wear it out, is find some brown lace that's at least a couple of inches wide, and sew it along the bottom. The lace would add that length, plus match the contrasting thread, PLUS add a cute detail =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

signatures are for nerds Grin
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007 10:25:10 AM »

White lace would also look good, and you could pair it with a crisp white blouse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007 10:28:26 AM »

This is one of the best things to do with destroyed pants, I think! Smiley I would also go for the fitted waist and zipper. And the idea with lace seems very good.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007 10:29:06 AM by marmota-b » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007 10:52:32 AM »

thats so cool , you should wear it everywhere...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007 01:32:27 PM »

Wear it over leggings? That would help alleviate the "Flashing Hoo-Ha" Syndrome and it would be oh SO awesome 80s Cheesy

No, seriously, That was a good 80s fashion. HEY! Stop laughing! You too! Quit it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
fiberartist219
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 05:25:51 PM »

HA HA! You definately don't want to flash your hoo ha! Someone would take a picture and post it all over the internet!

Seriously though, it's a cute skirt. It may not be meant for your age, but it could work for my age (25)! Then again, I'm kinda short, so short skirts look really long on me! (hint hint) Hmm... or maybe I should go make my own. Were the pleats hard to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007 04:50:02 PM »

Seriously though, it's a cute skirt. It may not be meant for your age, but it could work for my age (25)! Then again, I'm kinda short, so short skirts look really long on me! (hint hint) Hmm... or maybe I should go make my own. Were the pleats hard to do?

Hi. I'm tall so everything looks short. This is a very easy skirt to make. The pleats are just fabric from the cut legs cut in strips as wide as you can make them.. You end up with four. You sew them end to end so you get a very long piece of fabric. You hem along one long end. You fold and iron the pleats and then add this to the bottom of your cut up pants. I really like this skirt design and I also think it's really cute on most... Just not on me.  Cry Try making one! I bet it will look great on your youthful self!

..it would be oh SO awesome 80s Cheesy

No, seriously, That was a good 80s fashion. HEY! Stop laughing! You too! Quit it!

OMG!!! I'm old enough to have been part of the 80's fashion movement!  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin I promise not to laugh...

-----------

Actrually, I took this to a friend's house to see about changing it to a fitted waist with a zipper. She suggested maybe adding a few inches of fabric to the waist or wear it lower on the hips with a longer tunic.. What might you all think about these ideas?  Huh

I'm not adverse to wearing short skirts (but within reason. I'm 37 now.)  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
sprinklez
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 11:47:08 AM »

My tan pants got caught under the agitator of my washer.

I could have sworn that said "aligator". haha.

Cute skirt. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007 05:07:58 AM »

C'mon! You should just wear it, it looks fine on you in the picture, your legs are plenty skinny enough to wear a skirt that length (your lucky, I'm 16 and my legs are too chunky to wear short skirts). In vouge they said you can wear a mini at any age, as long as you wear the right other clothes. I think it would look good with some crochet-y brown tights, and the lace is a good idea too. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Sofia Vergara To Wed in Vera Wang
Paul Smith - London- Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews and Runway
Wendell Rodricks College Fashion Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...