A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've found an alternative for freezer paper  (Read 7925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rinekebrouwer
« on: June 24, 2007 07:29:52 AM »

Living in Denmark, I was truly irritated at the fact that I could not get freezer paper anywhere. The other day I stood with a roll of, I thought, gift paper. It turned out not to be gift paper but book-covering paper. On the label it said: This paper is coated with plastic for extra endurance. Do you ever have moments where you can almost see that little lightbulb appearing next to your head? Well this was one.

I tried it out and it actually works. A roll of plastic-coated book covering paper costs 19 danish kroner, that's about 3.5 dollars, and it is a couple of meters.  The colours on it do not matter - although if you want to trace motives through it, you may find this easier with a light colour. The colours do not stick to the fabric. I found out not to go over the stencil with the iron (on hot for cotton) more then once (if you do that EVERYTHING will stick - eventually it will come off and you'll still have a nice result but that will take hours...).

I am so happy about this! You can see one result of the book-covering paper stencilling herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/tingletangle/576113214/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rineke.blogspot.com
Feliciter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 05:21:44 AM »

Thanks! I live in Australia and we also dont' have 'freezer paper'. It's nice to know about the alternatives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kianee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007 06:30:11 AM »

Have you tried self-adhesive transparency foil? I've tried it today for the first time and it works a treat! It's transparent (d'oh) and sticks to fabric all by itself, no ironing. Smiley It's sold in shops where you can buy stationary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurakate
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007 01:32:18 AM »

Thanks! I live in Australia and we also dont' have 'freezer paper'. It's nice to know about the alternatives.

i have been wondering if 'freezer paper' is available in Australia, i'm from SA and hadn't started searching the shops (and getting strange looks from the ladys at lincraft and spotlight when i ask for it Smiley ) thanks for answering my question!! also what does book covering paper look like??

x laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***letterbox love shop***
www.letterboxlove.etsy.com

*apologising in advance for my spelling, grammar and lack of tact...
Red Fumes
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007 02:31:24 PM »

In Australia we call it "contact". Shiny on one side, sticky on the other. It's wonderful stuff, I use it for all my stencils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurakate
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007 06:57:34 AM »

hahah yeah just good ol' contact would work! Wink
this freezer paper gear they say can iron on and peal off and you can print on it and all that kinda jazz so it's a bit different to contact and sounds easier!

x laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***letterbox love shop***
www.letterboxlove.etsy.com

*apologising in advance for my spelling, grammar and lack of tact...
rinekebrouwer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007 11:13:33 AM »

From your description, I do not think the bookcovering paper is the same as what you call 'contact'paper. The paper i am talking about is not sticky on one side. It is paper that is quite glossy on one side, and it mostly has some kind of pattern on it. It is used normally to wrap around schoolbooks, so they keep nice longer, but it doesn't stick to the book itself.

But since it has this glossy, plastic coating on one side, it works like freezer paper.

rineke
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rineke.blogspot.com
Red Fumes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007 02:47:36 PM »

Ah I see. Since contact is usually used to cover books here, I just assumed it was sticky like contact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007 08:15:30 PM »

For all the Aussies out there - I was mucking around last night with the printer. And Contact DOES work! I used a cheap-cheap handkerchief (thin fabric) and a cheap-cheap clear Contact. Cut both to A4 size, stick the contact to the back of the fabric, and run it through the printer. Give it a moment to dry a little, and then peel away the Contact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Icemommy
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007 04:09:52 AM »

I couldn't figure out where to get freezer paper as well, until I was at the cheese shop and the salesman wrapped my gouda in a plastic lined paper..WAIT A MINUTE!!! Only problem with this is that it's only glued along the length on either end of the paper, so the plastic is detached in the center. No problem for round edges, but it is for long small details, the plastic tends to curl back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laurel Braitman on When Animals Go Mad
I Wish I Had a Pet
Meet the Post: Q&A with WorldViews Bloggers
Break the Cycle and Never Go Back
What Does the Second Amendment Actually Mean?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...