A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: After Shaving...  (Read 4324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Butterfly Grl
My inner child is a mean little bastard.

That which does not kill me, had better run fast.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2004 10:15:12 AM »

i dunno why but everytime after i shave my underarms i get little red dots and they really hurt is there anything i can do to make them go away??

PLS HELP!!

Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Birdy, birdy in the sky, Why'd you do that in my eye
Looks like sugar, tastes like sap
Oh my God...its birdy crap!
;-p    :-D
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004 10:47:36 AM »

do you always use shaving cream and have a really sharp razor? that may be part of the problem. dull razors can cause irritation, and not having some kind of cream or soap of some sort can contribute because its much more dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Butterfly Grl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004 11:45:00 AM »

i always make like a foam with soap and then shave,i use a Gillette Venus and i was told that i need to renew the blade when the blue stripe is gone and mine is still fully there.I have tried with different razors disposeble ones,Lady Protector and this one, i even have a Lady Shave (but i dont think it works as well as the others) and the same thing happens.

i really want it to stop because when it comes to summer i'd like to wear sleeveless tops but i cant because i dont want to c the red dots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004 11:53:00 AM »

try using a shaving cream that is 'extra moisturizing' or 'sensitive skin'  Soap is fairly drying, and you may be having a reaction to it (since shaving scrapes off the top layer of skin, especially around the hairs, it makes your skin more sensitive)

Also maybe try switching deodorants - try to look for one for sensitive skin - you might be allergic to yours.  There are a couple of these out now (I think Dove makes one)

And make sure you aren't pushing down hard on the razor when you shave. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004 11:58:33 AM by melidomi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainclouds
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004 12:46:19 PM »

Skip the shaving cream, which could have drying and/or irritating ingredients in them.  Wash the skin you wish to shave and then apply straight jojoba to the skin.  Shave lightly going in the direction the hair grows with a very sharp razor, and then rinse with tepid water.  Do not apply deoderant directly afterwards, as sometimes that can irritate skin further.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Butterfly Grl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 03:40:41 AM »

try using a shaving cream that is 'extra moisturizing' or 'sensitive skin'  Soap is fairly drying, and you may be having a reaction to it (since shaving scrapes off the top layer of skin, especially around the hairs, it makes your skin more sensitive)

Also maybe try switching deodorants - try to look for one for sensitive skin - you might be allergic to yours.  There are a couple of these out now (I think Dove makes one)

And make sure you aren't pushing down hard on the razor when you shave. 

i used to use one like that the deo but i am not allowed to anymore because it has Aluminum Cholorophide(sp?) in it and a research showed that it can be a cause of breast cancer,there is breast cancer in my family so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll try using the conditioner ,and i dont know what jojobar is so...yeah Sad

Tnx for all the info and keep it coming(if that is the right kind of thing to say)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004 08:20:40 AM »

Since I saw this I have a question of my own! Ok well after I shave my underarms you can still see the little black stubblets? or whatever. I use a 3 blade mens razor. Should I change to a four or what can I do to make them go away? EEK! Thank you.
If you have darkish hair and lightish skin, it may just be that you can see the hairs under the skin.  In which case the only way to get rid of them is to switch to waxing or some other kind of 'rip the hair out by the roots' method.  Or you could just live with it like me - it's not like there are lines of people waiting to closely examine your armpits, right?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liltoonie
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004 03:59:58 PM »

Tendskin!! it stings at first but works great, here's a recipe:
solution 1:
18 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed
5 oz. rubbing alcohol
combine.

solution 2:
8 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed
2.5 oz. witch hazel
combine.

combine the two solutions. the aspirin will settle a bit, so shake it before use. apply to the bikini area to prevent ingrowns. it can also be used to spot treat blemishes. (aspirin is acetic and salicylic acids.)

another trick that works wonders for the bikini line to prevent ingrowns is unscented roll on deodorant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...<-->>http://shmello.net , from my hands to the hole jammed in your ear, and more!<<-->...
hdoglovesyou

oh so calculated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004 05:38:06 PM »

well i have that red bump problem sometimes too and then i
1) bought razors (cheap ones.. like the throw away kind) and they have like aloe strips on them! so they're pretty sweet!
2)i also use skintimate in a purple can. i can't remember what its called right now but i know there's some for sensitivie skin and underarms and all that.
3)make sure you only shave over those areas ONCE! sometimes i'll go over it twice and then i'm hating life.

when i get the red bumps, i don't shave for like 5/6 days or something (I KNOW.. GROSS) but it helps my armpits get happy.

HOPE THAT HELPS <3 good luck with your pits, they're tricky business.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashion is feeding us IDENTIFICATION
<3heather
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004 06:29:19 PM »

Before you cut the deodorant, you may want to read this.   If breast cancer runs in your family, this is a site you've probably happened on before.
http://www.breastcancer.org/research_deodorant.html
Off topic: Why do women with AA cups need mammograms if men with B cups don't?  Anyone know?  My doctor didn't have an answer for that.

I do the conditioner thing myself but I use the cheap razors like hdoglovesyou on the underarms now because I tend not to rinse them well enough and have to trow them out often. Kiss  The nice shaver is for the legs.  It seems to work for me but I can't use those sensitive skin deodorants as they are too weak.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Stuffed Alfred the Gorilla
Charity Shumway Her Novel Ten Girls To Watch
Author Charity Shumway on Being a Graduate
Dear Know It All Book Trailer
Jeffrey Deever Talks About How He Became an Author
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...