A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Choker scarf thingie tutorial  (Read 4540 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hudelei
« on: November 22, 2004 10:00:07 AM »

I was looking at scarves at the Urban Outfitters site the other day and came across what looked to me like the quickest scarf ever:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6194&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=77&iSubCat=88&iProductID=6194

I liked it and decided to give it a try, despite the fact it was clearly knit and not crocheted.

I crocheted a strip, and kept wrapping it around my neck to see how long it should be (Urban Outfitters kindly provided the dimensions of theirs, but I took no chances).  When I got to the point where I needed a buttonhole, I skipped two sc in the middle of the row, chaining two in that spot instead.  Then on the next row I sc into those chains, and that gap became the button hole.  I made a ruffly edge, attached the flower I made, and here it is:

The buttonhole seems to gape there because I wanted it to show in the picture.  It actually is behaving pretty well so far through the rigors of buttoning and unbuttoning.

The buttonhole side

The flower side

I would say if you were tempted to try to crochet or knit this for yourself (and something I'll keep in mind when I do my next one) is how much height the lacy edging will add to the thing.  I have a pretty short neck and so while I thought I had allowed for the edging, I had actually made the center portion just a few stitches too wide.  I sort of like how it looks on, but sometimes I look at it and think that little lace measurement problem has taken it from Urban Outfitters to Elizabethan.

The good news is that this is about an evening's work, and didn't take much yarn either.  I may make a few as stocking stuffers, since this choker scarf thing is so quick and a little different.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005 07:25:43 AM by hudelei » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004 01:22:39 PM »

that is lovely, i love the color. how did you make the flower?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004 02:03:44 PM »

You know, it's my default flower these days.  It's the same one I put on the muff and gave the steps for in the quickie tutorial I posted here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15988.0

The only difference is that on the muff I did only two rounds of petals and on the big one here I did  .... three?  four?  I just sort of kept going until it looked big enough to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyslipper

loving the needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004 02:04:26 PM »

Very cute, I think Ill try to knit one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm so cute and Indie...take me seriously.
hudelei
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004 02:08:43 PM »

I think it will probably look better knitted, truthfully.  I am SO going to learn to knit one of these days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nowIbelieve
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004 06:31:07 PM »

yeah i saw something kinda like that a couple weeks ago, i would have tried already but i dont know how to knit a button hole =/ but i intend to learn soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is just as good as the memories we make
Inna
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004 06:34:37 PM »

yeah i saw something kinda like that a couple weeks ago, i would have tried already but i dont know how to knit a button hole =/ but i intend to learn soon.

You could always make a loop or two at the end instead of a buttonhole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
hudelei
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004 06:45:12 PM »

I saw another one someplace recently that was just knitted in a circle and you pulled it over your head.  I guess you'd have to use either a good stretchy yarn or else make it a little bigger around the neck so you could stretch it over your head, but that would work too, I think.  Sort of like making a turtleneck without the rest of the sweater! 

Funny how sweater parts are in all of the sudden.  Just arms (armwarmers, shrugs) or just the neck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004 11:26:53 AM »

Great job of patterning, hudelei!  Thanks for posting it---I know a few long-necked gals who might like one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004 04:40:54 AM »

Thanks, waterbaby!  I started another one last night (tooooo late, so it didn't get finished) and may leave the lacy bits on the edge off, or else use some shorter decoration.  I've got a short neck myself, and I think now that might be the way for me to adjust it rather than making the center strip smaller.  Hmmm.  Might try both ways and see, since it's easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sweet Raspberry Smoothie
Lynn Mansel: Serving Innovation
5 Halloween Cupcake Ideas to Try
5 Great Halloween Treat Ideas to Try
Marble Cupcake Recipe By Lisa Marley
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...