A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How might you make wings?????  (Read 754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KairiGurl
« on: June 23, 2007 07:42:41 PM »

So my friend and I are doing a fairy cosplay, and we need some help on how to make wings. We would like to make wings that hang more than stand up and we aren't really looking for wings with feathers. If anyone knows of any cool ways, I would very much appreciate it if you would share them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007 07:49:42 PM by KairiGurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007 08:02:54 PM »

Well, I haven't ever made wings, but I'm just taking a guess and visualizing this in my mind: You could take some wire and begin making a normal wing form only instead, only do the top. Then just hang some fabric of your choice on the wire. Does that make sense? Hang on.. I'm drawing it on Paint as we speak.. Here is how I see it (Sorry for sloppiness):
The picture was just really quick. You could bend the wire and make it curvey and just do anything, but what I imagine is along these lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps: OPEN
My Wists
My Blog
KairiGurl
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007 08:10:38 PM »

Thanks.
Anyone else know any other ways?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007 08:22:05 PM »

I worked at a costume shop once, we had every kind of wing you could imagine.

Basic, lightweight easy to make fairy or butterfly wing:
At a hardware store get wire roughly the same gauge as a coathanger (coathagers aren't long enough) and make your preferred wing shape* amounts below.  Find a very solid object to bend your wire around so the curves on both wings match- like a concrete column in a building or a metal handrail. If you want the wings to stand out from the back make the end that 'attaches' to the back perpendicular to the wing & shaped like a capital H- or W continuous wire through both wings is even better if you want them to really stand out well. [These are not terribly comfortable, but not horrid either, having the wearer present to lay it up against their back while shaping is nice, the W or H needs to fit between the shoulder blades]

Get queen size sandalfoot panty hose (any color, nude & white/ off white are easiest to work colors onto obviously), cut the legs off at the top. Gently pull the hose over your form with the raw end at the end where you want it to 'attach' to the back,line up the toe seam along the wire. Hand sew the hose onto the frame at the attach piont then seal the edges with Fray-Check or glue. Padding the wearer side of the frame is nice. depending on what the wings are being worn with the rest of the costume can be made with a pocket for the wing support portion of the frame & a few snaps to keep it in place- eliminating the ugly straps-across-the-shoulder look.

* sizes: if the wearer is roughly 5 foot tall 110 ponds you will probably need about 10-12 feet of wire, each wing for a butterfly shape can easily be about 3 feet tall & 1 &1/2 2 feet across.

I really need to learn how to post pictures  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007 08:25:34 PM »

Posting at the same time  Cheesy

Hers are less wire intensive with a hanging wing- both are nice- depends on the overall look you are going for. Hers will have lots of movement with the actor, nice effect for fairies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KairiGurl
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007 09:10:30 PM »

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007 02:24:43 AM »

Wire armature aka frame, fabric cover, and optional mache overcover for durability.
If the wings are to be large you will want to use some sort of cross-wiring in all that open space to keep the cover from sagging.

The attachment to the wearer is more problematic then the wing construction itself.
Making sure the curvature matches is very important. Thanks for pointing that out!
If you're REALLY handy you could get some custom arcylic, lexan, or wood instead of wire for your armature.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Altering Some Design Issues in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Tidying Up Photoshop® and Saving Your Project
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Blend Modes to Add Graphic Highlights
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding Buttons to the Layout
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...