A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camping - hassle free recipes??  (Read 6027 times)
Tags for this thread: camping , grilling , camping_food , grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlizarineKitten
Culinarian

Real courage is risking one's cliches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007 11:55:11 PM »

I looove camping!  In my experience, everyone usually brings way too much meat and that's all we eat for days.  I try to bring alternatives like pasta salad, and veggies to grill, like asparagus marinated in lemon and olive oil- SO GOOD!  Smiley 
Something I just tried out at home that was amazing, but slightly less portable for camping, was grilled artichokes:

First you steam them until done but not overdone.  Cut in half and scrape out the choke.  Then mince some shallots & garlic and mix them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Coat the artichokes with the marinade and put them on the grill, cut side down.  Grill a minute or two, brushing on more of the marinade.  Then... enjoy! 
They are really yummy.  The balsamic sweetens and caramelizes. You can eat them plain or with more of the marinade, but my favorite way is with mayo.
(This recipe was given to me by a friend, but it's originally from Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing, CA.  Phil's is the best!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it"- Julia Child
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007 06:32:08 AM »

brats, hot dogs, kabobs, hamburgers.

the foil dinner is really really good. You can also put meat in there (I think it was beef that we tried, and it ended up like a stew, almost. a really really good stew!) Or you can just do potatoes with lots of butter and a little bit of seasoning. Add some peppers. Some corn. Mushrooms. Really, whatever you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007 12:33:20 PM »

Doubly on the silver turtles! We put in chicken, whatever vegetables, potatoes, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007 02:53:09 PM »

OH thank you - these ideas are so great and the kids will love them --

i have been asking around also, and heard of HAMDOGS - you take a hot dog roasting stich and form a hot dog shaped burger around the end with ground beef - i am not sure how these will handle but i think it will be fun to try -

the bananas are an interesting idea that sound soooo yummy and i love the coffee can cookout - so McGuyver Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007 10:53:41 PM »

If you have a fire going for a while, take some big onions with the skins still on, and put them in the embers (not in the super hot part of the fire). Turn them occaisionally, they will turn black. After a while (maybe an hour or two, but it depends on the heat of the fire), they will cook through (you can jab them with something to find out).  Take them off, and when they are cool enough to handle, peel off the outer black part, the middle will have caramelized. Chop them into large pieces, and dress with a mix of your choice of oil, vinegar, and spices (frex a combo of olive oil, balsamic, saffron, and pepper).

Cooking on an open fire is fun, and you can really cook just about anything (including baking), but it requires some practice, special equipment, and a good fire. If you are cooking for a large group, I think it might be faster than using a propane stove, it you have enough pans and are good at manipulating the fire. My favorite to cook is breakfast short-order style, I have a 20 inch cast iron pan and a grill, you can cook bacon or sausages on one side, and french toast on the other. (actually, I like the 15th century version of french toast using thick slices of brown bread dipped in an egg/milk mix with saffron and no sugar)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007 12:31:20 PM »

Totally make your own trail mix.

Stuff you add:
m&ms
Almonds
raisins
Pretzels
chocolate chips
peanuts
cashews
Ect................

Oh And if you have an option to make a fire throwing corn on the fire is amazing. Also wrap up some potatos in tin foil and have baked/mashed/ or whatever potatoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
cdraz
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007 10:02:03 AM »

We just had Hobo dinners, which is similar to what others said...you use double foil  and cabage leaves, whole, sliced potatoes, onions, corn and really whatever you want (oops and hamburger patty) and then cabbage leaves on top (prevents the stuff from burning and the cabbage is really good) and then put in the coals till it is done...family would have a fit if we didn't have it while camping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoweviolet
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007 07:04:00 PM »

I'm going on a camping trip to Glacier National Park in a couple weeks with my sister. We're planning to marinade a bunch of different types of meats in separate ziplocs, and then freezing them. Then we'll keep them on ice until we want to defrost one for dinner. I figure it takes a little bit of the prep work out of it.

Also, this is a really cool website I go to for camping recipes.

http://camprecipes.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://snoweviolet.wordpress.com <-Absolutely Under No Circumstances Qualified to Knit Blog
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007 07:09:05 PM »

Not one for the kiddies, but maybe you could substitute somehow to make it work for them. 

I don't know if you have them in the US (I live in Australia), but you can get pancake mix to serve 4 people in a plastic bottle here.  All you are supposed to do is fill to the top with water, shake the bottle to mix and then pour straight onto your pan and cook.  Hmmm, I think they are called shake and pour, now that I think about it. 

Anyhow, my little brother took some of them on a blokes only camping trip a while back.  He figured they would be easy to make and would travel well.  But they were without running drinking water at the campsite and no one had thought to take any bottled water.   Roll Eyes  So he substituted the only beverage the boys had left to them that day (the last day of the trip).  Yup, beer.  He now swears that it makes the best pancakes he has ever had.  Really fluffy I'm told. 

I don't know if the yeast has anything to do with it, probably not, it is all about the bubbles I'd guess.  So any soft drink or even champagne could be an option.  I think I'll try ginger beer and a few sultanas on my next trip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
smiles317
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007 09:02:20 AM »

We just bought a camper ourselves, and I have been researching this as well.

One thing I keep coming across for breakfast are bag omelettes.  You beat a few eggs, add them to a plastic bag and let the kids pick out what they want to add....like cheese, peppers, tomatoes. etc.  Then you drop the bags into a pot of boiling water and in a few minutes they are done Smiley

I have been packing lunch meats for sandwiches (our camper has a fridge so it makes things easier....but even if you have a cooler this would work).  I usually get the deli slices which you find in the grocery store.  I think the hillshire farms brand comes in gladware which always come in handy when you are camping.

If you are just using a campfire, stews are always a good hearty meal, and of course frozen ingredients always make things easier.  Also, check out your local camping stores or even sporting good stores.  A lot of times they have those freeze dried packets of food.I have heard on other boards that kids love them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for the Office During the Summer
5 Best Pea Coats for Winter
How to Know What to Wear Underneath Your Graduation Gown
Dress For the Success You Deserve
Celebrity Stylist Brad Goreski Shares His Holiday Fashion Tips
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...