A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camping - hassle free recipes??  (Read 6021 times)
Tags for this thread: camping , grilling , camping_food , grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2007 07:29:44 PM »

i am trying to collect recipes for camping/ rving/ hiking/ kids/ easy and no fuss - hassle free - yummy recipes any and all idea would be great!!!  it is summer and tis the season in the midwest for these activities - anything is welcome  snacks, desserts, main courses, grilling, veggies, appetizers, bring anything you LOVE!!!  even down to the simplest s'mores..

thank you in advance -
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisegirl
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007 09:28:05 PM »

One of my all time favorite things to eat on a campout when i was growing up were pudgy pies! You can buy a pudgy pie maker (it might actually be called something else) at any camping store and i've even seen cheaper versions at Wal-Mart.  To cast iron squares that you spray with cooking spray and place a slice of bread in each. Then fill one piece of bread with filling, hook together the squares, cook over fire with long handles and voila...a rustic hot pocket.  I love ham and cheese with broccoli or even canned pie filling for dessert.  No utensils required and the filling possibilities are endless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just listen to the wind, mother nature's violin."  Chris LeDoux

check out my etsy shop; www.prairiemother.etsy.com
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007 09:34:18 PM »

I like to core out an apple, pack it full of cinnamon sugar and butter, and wrap it up in foil like a potato, cook it near the coals until squishy.

And there's always grilled corn, the BEST! I think there are ways to prepare it that can help you get the best results, but I just stick it on there husk and all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuaranteDeux
Knit n' Study

Rockin' Out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007 09:45:49 AM »

I second pudgy pies...that was a camping staple in my family. Just make sure that you have plenty of coals in the bottom of the fire pit to cook them evenly, if you put them in direct fire they tend to get burnt on the outside and not cooked through on the inside Wink We normally made these with pizza fillings (sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, etc) and pie filling for dessert. I also like them with peanut butter and sliced bananas. Oh, and as an alternative to cooking spray, you can just butter one side of each slice of bread and put the buttered side against the metal. This is fun for kids because they can pick their own fillings.

For breakfast my mom normally makes a scramble with hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage, whatever else is laying around (this is a good way to use up leftovers from making pudgy pies).

We also normally do brats or something easy to grill for the first night of a camping weekend. Grilled zucchini is a good side dish to make over the fire, just cut it into sticks and marinate it in Italian dressing or something first, then put it on a grill with some foil.

Yeah, I grew up camping and have eaten a lot of camping food in my day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007 12:57:39 PM »

my favorite is a chocolately banana that you make in the fire.  I don't know what it's called. 

You take a banana and peel down one piece.  then you scoop some out and fill the space with peanut butter and chocolate chips.  put the banana back to gether, wrap it in foil and put it in the fire until it's nice and warm and melty.  These you have to eat with a spoon. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dittoz
The Punk Rock Monster Girl

shhh... i'm invisible.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007 07:31:39 PM »

pasta is easy. Boil patsa and add whatever veggies or cold cuts you have left over from other meals. bacon is realy good.

We buy instant oatmeal and have that in the morning. We backpack, so it's light and we can add rasins peanuts and whatever else to make it more energizing.

Hotdogs ona stick are always good, brats, keilbasha and italian sausage are good too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007 07:39:02 PM »

Oooh, even better, couscous... instead of boiling it, you dump it in boiling water and put a lid on. No timing or draining or anything like that required.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lutheranchick
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007 09:13:34 AM »

I know "pudgy pies" as "hobo pies." They are delicious.
A fun thing to do for a fairly large group is to have everyone bring a different kind of clear soup, i.e. vegetable, minestrone, chicken noodle(or everyone brings cream soup, but no mixing clear and cream) and mix them up together in a "witch's brew."  You can cook this in a kettle over a stove or on a grate in the fire. Just bring a big enough pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007 12:25:51 PM »

This is better for RVing or a drive in & camp: lasagna.
Seriously the best lasagna I've ever had was the easy cook noodle recipie off the back of the box which doesn't require precooking the noodles- in a dutch oven. Something about slow baking it in the cast iron dutch oven with lots of mesquite on the fire made it fantastic.

We also did Silver Turtles: a patty of hamburger/ turkey burger/ sausage link with onion slices, carrots, a tomato if you like (any other bakeable veggie) salt & pepper. Stack all your goodies on top of the meat in the center of a generous sized piece of foil, put a second piece of foil on top- fold up all your edges tight. Twist the corners into easy-grab 'legs' (thus the turtle look/ name), toss them on some hot coals for 30 min or so to bake. Tear open the top when done & eat off the foil. This actually back packs decently (first day only) if you start out with a container of frozen water to keep it cool till dinner- can be pre-made & then slipped in a baggie. Bear in mind it's designed for fatty meats- the lower fat your meat the dryer your veggies will be- I've never experimented with lower fat meats & adding water or broth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007 12:33:35 PM »

foil dinner: thinly slice up a bunch of potatoes, veggies, etc. Take a piece of foil and spray or butter it, place the potato slices, veggies, pizza stuff, whatever you like on the foil, along with some cheese if you like, and fold the foil over it. Fold up the sides to seal and bury it on the coals until cooked.
I haven't thought about that since sleepaway camp! We also used to make little stoves out of coffee cans (for heat you roll up cardboard in a tuna can and melt parafin over it, light it, and put the coffee can over it (with vents in the sides). You can cook eggs, pancakes, bacon etc on the top of the can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
How to Create a Formal Updo
How to Create a Triple Braid
How To Make Your Hair Shine for a Big Night Out
How to Highlight Your Own Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...