A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st recon. jeans to skirt w/ tute *IMG FAT*  (Read 3172 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tad1uk
« on: June 22, 2007 10:45:14 PM »

ok ok....I know...everyone has a jeans into skirt post with a tutorial, but ya know...I wanted one too!! haha. So this was my first attempt at making a skirt from jeans that required sewing. Also my first tutorial...tell me if it sucks Tongue
I have like 4 just regular straight jean skirts that ive bought and one with a bit of frill on the bottom. I wanted something different. I didnt use anyones pattern just sorta winged it.

**TUTORIAL! yippee!!**
get a pair of old jeans. preferably ones that fit you cuz your gonna wanna wear your skirt...plus i dont know how to do anything with the waist to make it bigger so your SOL on getting advice from me!  Grin
mine had a big hole in the backside! 

2. cut off the legs at about where they meet at the crotch. but it also depends where your pockets end and all that. you can make adjustments to your liking dont worry.

and tada!!! you gotta new skirt!
haha juuuuust kidding. this is usually where my skirt endevours end though... Cheesy

3. take the legs that you cut off and cut them in half long ways up the seams. do this to both legs if the legs are different on each side like mine were *they had a seam up the middle on the front and nothing on the back* you are gonna need 2 pieces one for front and other for back...but again...this depends on your pants and how long they were to begin with etc...

your pants may or may not have this kind of seam. but mine did and i cut pretty close to it so that way i wouldnt have to hem the bottom of my skirt!

4.i wanted my skirt pleated so i pleated, pinned and ironed it a bit. do this to both pieces or pants leg that you cut in numero 3.

5. *sorry no pic  Sad*then i pinned the pieces to the mini skirt. then i tried it on to see how it looked.

6.  where i sewed the pleated part and the mini together i left a raw edge because i want it to fray. these particular jeans sorta have a fuzzy fray and it looks happy so hopefully it'll work out. but you can always sew it nicely. i also did this because my straight line sewing skills are a little...blah and this way sorta masks that fact!
edit: my fabric is kinda stretchy and i wore this skirt yesterday and when i bent over the fabric stretched and tore the thread soooo...im thinking i shoulda used a stretch stitch like a zigzag i suppose...?

7.  I did however make a nice seam on the sides where the two pants leg pleated parts meet just by rolling it under and sewing. *here you can sorta see my wiggly sewing lines! and also those two bleach stains. Im wondering what to do about those and whether or not to splash the entire bottom portion...*

8. and you are finished! try it on. here is my finished product. I tried to iron it more but im crap at that too! hopefully after i wash it and steam it i can get a better look.

sorry no back pics...i couldnt get a decent one. looks like the front tho so your not missin out on much.

hope you guys liked! sorry it was long. im sure someone has made a similar skirt...sorry if i stole your idea...i didnt mean to i promise!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007 12:24:57 PM by tad1uk - Reason: broken picture links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonmom
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007 08:52:42 AM »

I love it. I like how it poofs out.  Great job.  I haven't done a jeans to skirt yet though,lol,it's raining here today, so maybe that is a sign.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just_lisa
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007 06:20:05 PM »

I really like the way that turned out!  I will have to make one for my daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tad1uk
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007 09:39:21 PM »

yeah!!! im glad you guys liked it. thanks for commenting. im like crazily checking the 'replies to your posts' button every few hours to see if anyone commented. haha. ah to be accepted...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007 10:36:01 AM »

ok ok....I know...everyone has a jeans into skirt post with a tutorial, but ya know...I wanted one too!! haha. ......hope you guys liked! sorry it was long. im sure someone has made a similar skirt...sorry if i stole your idea...i didnt mean to i promise!

You SHOULD have a jeans skirt with a tute! Why not! I like them! I can never see enough of these and the different ways you all do it! I did one somewhat similar, but turned the peats in opposite directions every other pleat and I didn't reuse the inseam. Your design IS original.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
molzy_dudess
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007 01:06:08 PM »

I like that skirt!

And ive actually never seen one done like that before, it looks good!

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|_____\
|__BRENTFORD FAN BUS_|_| __\
|_________________ |_| ____|
|_(@'@)____________|_|(@)__|
ilovepaint
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 04:29:21 PM »

That is really cute.  I am going to try that today:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now what do I want to make next?
PaintedSmile13
peace. love. life. <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007 11:31:42 AM »

Thats super cutee. It looks really comfy and flowly too. Its really kinda gross but girls in my school purposely put wholes right where your hole was in their jeans and wear them aroundd.. haha which really isn't attractive. Maybe once they realize that I'll send them this tut.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

climb out on this rooftop
    and stare at the city lights below us
        this world belongs to us tonight.
tad1uk
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007 05:29:37 PM »

Thats super cutee. It looks really comfy and flowly too. Its really kinda gross but girls in my school purposely put wholes right where your hole was in their jeans and wear them aroundd.. haha which really isn't attractive. Maybe once they realize that I'll send them this tut.  Tongue

haha thats funny. yeah the whole rip in the ass of your jeans used to be cool and is only cool if you are like super hot/prostitute/baby from house of a 1000 corpses. girls are so silly...do the weirdest stuff to stay cool and have boys look at them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007 11:26:18 AM »

I love that, really wicked tute too, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coffee-Filter Wreaths with Lenore Welby
How to Make Poinsettia Place-Cards
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Stretch a Canvas
How to Make Christmas Centerpieces
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...