A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Kitchen Need Help!!  (Read 1294 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meesicle
« on: June 22, 2007 01:45:02 PM »

WARNING: LOOKING AT THIS KITCHEN MAY MAKE YOU FEEL NAUSEATED.

As you can see, I need A LOT of help on where to go with this one...the obvious things are to take as much out of the room first & paint the walls...Smiley

Most of the rest of our house, which we've just finished, is in sage green, black & white, & neutral beiges...we are not big fans of bright bold colors.

Looking for cheap ideas on revamping the space - and I'm not opposed to tearing out the cabinets & maybe going for some "untraditional" counter/storage space Smiley

Our budget? Less than $1000 if possible...

You've guys have always been great inspiration in the past so I can't wait to hear your ideas, no matter how crazy they might be!!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notverytalented
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007 02:56:03 PM »

That is a fabulous stove, so I would let that guide my direction with this kitchen.  (I had a 1950's O'Keefe & Merritt shipped several thousand miles for my kitchen.)

Paint the cabinets unless you are a super organized, keep it totally neat kind of family.  Open shelves are great, but can really look like a dumping ground in a working kitchen.  There are great glazes out there to give you a warm, neutral coloring.  For a budget of $1,000, those cabinets are going to be structurally better than anything you could buy.  You have paneled doors which you could cut out the center (recessed) portion and put in some frosted, etched or stained glass.

I used the old fashioned tile (like you find in schools) for my kitchen floor and made a checkered pattern with soft peach, green and tan.  Laminate for the counters.  They have really good selections in laminate now.  Light fixtures can make or break you.  I found vintage light fixtures on eBay and rewired them to fit my retro look.

A retro look doesn't have to be cutesy.  You can keep it streamlined with very little clutter or you can find something you love like a set of cannisters.

Very doable for a $1,000 if you are looking for a facelift.  I wouldn't try to yank those cabinets and live without them for long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
re
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007 02:58:49 PM »

I would pull out some sandpaper and paint....

paint the cupboards a colour you like such as sage green, do a similar colour for the walls?

or as something different paint the cupboards and walls same colour (thats a different type of paint though) but paint the inner panel of each door white.

or remove the inner panels of each door and fill with window screen (painted or not?) or tin.

you can buy wood laminate flooring that snaps down for the floor for cheap.

add a new ceiling light bought and revamped from a thrift shop- possibly something painted the same colour as the walls...ala marthastewart. it can make the ugliest light fixtures funky and modern when painted up to match neutral tones in a room.

you can go to a discount end-of-roll wholesaler for laminate for counter tops
THIS ROCKS   Logged

black and white photo
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007 03:07:57 PM »

i saw someone post something about using plastic chinese gum holders as spice holders
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007 03:45:09 PM »

I would paint the doors as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
jendecker71
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 04:09:29 PM »

I have to agree with notverytalented.  I LOVE the stove.  I'd consider a black and white theme.  It can always be jazzed up or changed for holidays or special occassions with adding festive floor rugs and curtians.  For example, for a summertime look, keep the sunflower curtians...would fit perfectly with a black and white checked floor, white walls, white cabinets with black inserts (or replace middle with tin--I'm really liking that idea too).  Make some funky door knobs for your cabinets that match your curtians (a sunflower motif for summer, etc.).  All the basic black and white can be easily adjusted for an asian them (add lots of red and gold), a winter theme (snowmen or santas), halloween/fall pumpkins...the posibilities are limitless.

Now, my advice if you want to invest a little more time/money...is that a diswasher on the left side of the pic?  Consider moving the stove down.  Of course you'd have to remove the end of the counter (where the microwave is) and the cabinet above it.  But if you move that down, you can create space for the dishwasher and rework that awkward bar thingy.  If you need the bar/counter/cabinet space, rebuild it on the side where the dishwasher is.  Is that a bookshelf in your kitchen?  Create a whole counter space on that wall with your non-traditional open shelving above it.  That will make room for mounted lighting above the counter, space for displayables, and a dining/crafting/bill paying/ work space.  I think all of this could be done with minimal expense if you use your resources wisely.  I see the edge of a vintange breakfast table, no?  Is that in a nook or does it extend into an additional room?  If you do away with the bar thingy that will open that space a little more and so much could be done there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigyellowtaxi
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 04:20:01 PM »

Your kitchen looks so much like mine used to!!!  I painted the cabinets white and it made a HUGE difference.  It was a lot of work, I won't lie.  But it cost under $200 and the impact was enormous. 

Just thought I'd post a couple pictures for a visual reference (hope that's okay!)

Before:

After:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007 04:24:08 PM by bigyellowtaxi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamiewatchthestars

domUNIQUE and I

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007 04:38:44 PM »

i would paint the walls, paint the cabinets (or just get new cabinet doors)

and then rip up the floor.  there is a lot of new great non-hideous linoleum out there.  i just did my bathroom and my floors are linoleum that looks EXACTLY like hardwood.
i think the floor make your kitchen look outdated, but if that isn't something you want to change im sure you could spruce it up other ways
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elise
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007 09:23:58 AM »

I like really dark wood, but in my own kitchen the cabinets made it look and feel like a dungeon. I painted them white and it's a much happier room to be in now. I roll and brush painted mine, but my husband's friend rented a paint sprayer and his came out so much better. And they don't chip like mine.

I also have really crappy vinyl floors in my house and I just found these vinyl peel and stick tiles that look like ceramic but are easy to put down and cheap (from lowe's or home depot, I can't remember). They also have some vinyl planks that look like real wood floors.

You could also try a cool backsplash. Tile, mosaics, plexiglass, stainless steel... sometimes you can find something cool for a good deal.

Home Depot and Lowe's also sell laminate counter tops that look like the fancy granite ones... but don't look in the section with the other counter stuff by the cabinets. If it's like my store, you can find huge sheets of it against the back or side of the store, by the vinyl floor and carpet rolls and cutters. Then you just have to have it cut to your specifications.

You can find great deals on cabinet door handles and drawer pulls on ebay. And you might be able to find some good deals on stuff at the habitat for humanity restore or big lots.

I think if you were going for a modern different look, you could rip out some of the cabinets but not all, and put up some chunky shelves that would be the same color as the cabinets. That way you could display whatever cool dishes you have. Also, if your brave, you could also try ripping the inserts out of some of the cabinet doors and replacing them with glass, plexiglass, metal, rice paper, etc.

I don't know if you like or don't like the appliances, but if you want a  good deal on those, check things like craiglist or the local restore. You could also try the back of Lowe's or Home Depot because they keep the cosmetically damaged, discounted new appliances there. Last time I looked around, I found a stainless steel dishwasher with a leg missing for half off, even though it would've been easy to fix and the leg isn't even visible once you install it. And I also found a stainless steel stove with a dent in the side which no one would've seen anyways.They also sell appliance spray paints if you just want to freshen them up. Wink

Just some ideas... Good luck with the update! Can't wait to see pictures after you're done. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chopsticks7
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 02:29:36 PM »

What a great opportunity for you! Since the rest of your house is in neutrals, I wouldn't go with anything too bold.  A retro kitchen would be cool, but I don't think it would go with the rest of your house, from your description. Also, some suggest sticky tiles, which I strongly am against.  I've used them several times, and bacteria and water build up underneath them easily.  Anyway, perhaps you could go with a cottage look!  Stick with the sage green in the rest of the house for the walls.  Those cabinets are diamonds in the rough!  If you paint them an off white, and put some brushed nickle or bronze hardware on them, they'd look so cute. You could even do some flowered stencil work in the middle.  You could get new countertops for that amount of space from lowes for around 200 or less, and they're fairly easy to install.  Also, clearance laminate flooring is fairly inexpensive.  They have some interlocking hardwood floors that look nice for around 58 dollars per 17.59 sq foot.  They are also fairly easy to put in.  The hardest part is tearing out the old flooring : )  Keep the stove for a nice vintage look!  A new hanging light fixture would really pull the room together (you'd be surpized what a new light fixture can do!).  Add a hanging plant in front of the window to add foliage, and maybe some rooting vases on the windowsill.  Take out that pole and extra countertop thingy, along with the curtains.  I don't know if I'd even put curtains up.  Here are some examples of cottage type kitchens, for ideas : )

http://www.dartmoor-holiday-cottage.co.uk/animage/cottage-kitchen.jpg

This one has those laminate hardwoods
http://www.saltspringcottage.com/images-large/cottage-kitchen.jpg

Here are some stencilled cabinet..

http://www.sailorsport.com/product_middle/pid_1274_10.jpg

Something like this would look nice in the middle of your cabinets...

http://www.artecy.com/sflowerstencil.GIF

Anyway, I hope this helps!  Keep up posted!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Day-to-Day Evening Looks For Women
The Row’s New Take on the Trench Coat
How to Eat All You Want on Thanksgiving and Still Look Great
Best Dressed and Sexy Trends at the 2013 American Music Awards
4 Cool Ways to Wear Plaid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...