A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bean bags  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2007 12:47:45 PM »

so after a good long time, i finished some bean bags for my step kids.  now it's time to fill them and, holy beejeezus, bean bag filling is expensive.   Shocked  Undecided  anyone have any ideas how i can fill these very large bags for under seventy dollars?   Angry crimeny!  i'm thinking packing peanuts, but my dh is afraid that they'll break down and be uncomfortable.  so i'm turning to the wisdom contained here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007 01:21:34 PM »

The price of the filling is exactly why I haven't made up the bean bag chair patterns I've bought over the years.  I've actually seen bean bag chairs cheaper than $70, if that helps, and you could try looking at garage sales for bean bag chairs (not sure how many of them make it that far).  That said, I think I actually saw a pattern that recommended packing peanuts for filler, and you could break them up some before you put them in the bean bag so they're more comfortable.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007 08:13:47 PM »

yeah, if i had done more homework i wouldn't have promised bean bags. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007 09:24:33 PM »

If you do any sewing that produces small scraps of fabric, you could maybe try that as some stuffing (I wouldn't use it for all of the stuffing, though. It'll probably pack down some with use).  If the kids know about the project, you could have them cut scrap fabric into small enough pieces (if they're old enough, that is).

For some reason, I keep buying patterns that require ridiculous amounts of stuffing, and then I don't make them because of the cost of materials (the most recent was a kiddie stuffed chair:Mccalls 9665).  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M9665.htm?tab=home_decorating&page=6

My justification is that it was a $.99 pattern sale, but still.  The likelihood of me making it is very small.  Maybe I should give it to grandma.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
kitsue43
Conspiracy Theorist.

Gamers unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007 09:58:29 PM »

Hm, actaully I say a place in my local mall some years ago that sold bean bags full of packing peanuts. I suppose they would be allright. If nothing else maybe adding some pillow stuffing in combination to the peanuts would help. Get youserlf a rubber band and a sheets of fabric. Fiil up the small piece of fabric with sample fillings, and tie it with the rubber band. Play around with it and see what works. You never know.~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sora: I've... I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like...Is any of this real... Or not?
elise
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 09:58:14 AM »

I would just look at thrift stores, closeout stores, garage sales, craiglist, etc. for old bean bags that people don't want anymore. I've come across the same problem and told my kids they'd just have to wait until I happen across one real cheap. Then I'll just take the old bean bags innards and put it in the new one. I'm thinking of leaving my name with the thrift stores and seeing if they'll call me when they get any. I'm wasting gas driving around so much. You could also try making  a want ad on craiglist. Or on your local freecycle list.

I've also found some places online that charge less than $70, but that doesn't include shipping. Heavenly bean bags sells a refill bag for $45. Maybe you could find a place near you that sells cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007 03:06:45 PM »

I've found them online for around $40, but shipping is around $30.  Thanks for the ideas.  I may try the packing peanuts since DH runs a mail order business and can get them from his shipping company (don't tell them that, though.)  If it doesn't work we can try something else.  I'll let you know how it works.  And keep the suggestions coming.  I've got one more I've promised to make.  I can't make one for the boys and tell the girl to forget it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cierah99
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007 04:32:10 PM »

There was a post on this website that filled a footstol with plastic bags, maybe that would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wykidgrrl

Just a little seditious.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007 04:54:29 PM »

As the bean bags were ginormous, (14 cu. ft. and counting) I went with the packing peanuts.  They worked pretty well, although are a bit noisy.  I'm sure they'll break down a bit with use.  But then we'll just put some more in.  But I think they work well for something that doesn't need a definite shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovecrafts11

my baby cousin hes so cute!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 02:13:21 AM »

My Mom Bought Me A Bean Bag And Then She Saw How Much The Fill Was  I Filled Mine With Soft Blankets  But You Can Fill It With Rice, Pillow Filling, Old Tee Shirts, Any Kind Of Clothes      I Hope This Helped    But You Have To Fluff It Once Your Done Sitting In It
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like polymer clay
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Color Range in Photoshop
How to Use Fit Image in Photoshop
Removing Pimples and Wrinkles in Photoshop
Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image in Lightroom
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...