A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Needles on Ebay?  (Read 644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlit
« on: April 13, 2007 09:31:07 AM »

As a new-ish knitter, I'm looking to get a set of a variety of needles so I don't have to buy a new pair every time I want a new set of needles.  I've been looking at bamboo ones on eBay, but I'm wondering about the quality.  Do they snap after lots of use? (I seem to remember seeing someone with a problem with this on a knitting blog somewhere...)  I don't think the user feedback is very helpful, since it's typically given very quickly, and I'm more interested in how they hold up over time.  I'm specifically looking at the U-Nitt ones sold by skyridert, but recommendations for other sellers is appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just_gemz

It's raining sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007 06:26:36 PM »

I haven't bought needles of eBay. I nearly did, but the shipping was insane, so I just went to Lincraft and bought some for less. I have a pair of bamboo circulars and another pair of bamboo straight needles, and they haven't snapped or anything, so I think you should be fine.

Also, the other day I was in either the Salvation Army store or St Vincent's, I can't remember, but they were selling needles for $0.50 a pair! Or a four, for DPNS. I'm going back tomorrow Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diamunds
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007 09:13:28 AM »

I actually prefer knitting on aluminum needles since it goes faster - benefits of bamboo is that stitches don't slide off as easily - and they aren't as cold!

I actually bought my first batch of knitting needles from eBay - a random set of vintage ones and they've served me wonderfully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - da vinci
art_babe
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007 02:05:51 AM »

i love bamboo and am currently purging myself of all metal needles. I bought a pretty full set of circular bamboo needles on ebay size 0-13 i think for like 20$. thing is--you get what you pay for. the bigger sizes are rough and need sanding and polishing but the smaller ones are not too bad. I am happy to have them for backups and quick knits but you probably want good needles for anything long term. Clover brand needles rule!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POTTER?? Handbuilder? If you want craftster to add a ceramics board let everyone know!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170834.0
girlalive
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007 03:37:38 AM »

I am very new to knitting as well, and I got my needles on ebay.  I didn't get bamboo ones though.  I bought a big job lot of random used needles that were probably from some dead relative's estate.  I'm quite happy with them, as they were inexpensive and I got a big variety of sizes to play around with as I learn.

On the other hand, I haven't tried bamboo knitting needles, but I have tried bamboo crochet hooks and I love them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marshmellow
hello

let's have a knit party!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 12:37:37 PM »

Yeah, you do get what you pay for. I got a set of bamboo straights on ebay and the bigger ones were great but the smaller sizes were  brittle. One did snap, but I'd say it was worth it because most of them were great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dye Wood Bangle Bracelets
How to Make Your Own Jewelry
How to Make Shrink Plastic Jewelry and Accessories
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...