A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My shirt into baby dress *now with matching pants!* *Tute added*  (Read 35329 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

livvyloo
« on: June 21, 2007 11:03:29 PM »

First, let me say that I just found this site yesterday (where have you been all my life???) and I have already made 2 recons and had 2 trips to the thrift store. Addicting.

Here is my take on the shirt dress, the first pic is without the trim, and the second pic is with (so much better). And yes, these are the best pics that I could take of my little busy body.

Before eyelet trim

ADDITION:
***Here are some capri type pants that I made with the sleeves from my shirt to match the dress. I basically took the sleeves, laid them side by side and overlapped them on the inside a bit and then cut straight up the center of the crotch to the top. Then I stitched the middle of the legs together, added elastic to the waist and voila! They do fit my daughter but next time I will make them out of a bigger shirt and make them a bit longer.

Let me know what you think!

Front

Back

Here is my new tute:
Okay, for the pants/ capris you will need the 2 sleeves that you cut off of the dress. The bigger the sleeves the better if you have  a chunky monkey like I do:) I found this ladies shirt so the pants were a bit short, but still cute nonetheless.
1.Cut off the sleeves.
2.Cut off the tops of the sleeves, you will need these for your flutter sleeve straps on the dress.

3. Use your pinking shears to cut off the very tips of the sleeves. I do this so that they won't fray as much and so I only have to fold my edge once as not to compromise any of the rise for my tall baby.  Then overlap your sleeves enough so that where they meet in the center it is long enough for their rise plus around an inch for the foldover. Cut straight up this line to the top.
4. Pin the inside of the pants together right sides facing (inside out) and sew. Flip right side out.

5. Iron down the inside about an inch and sew leaving yourself enough space to accommodate the width of the elastic you are using. Leave a small opening so that you can insert the elastic of course:)
6. Insert elastic and sew closed.
7. Your done!
Voila, you have pants/ capris to match your dress!

Note that my pants are too loose in the waist for her. It helps to have her awake and not in the crib when measuring!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007 08:22:50 AM by livvyloo - Reason: now with tute and action shots » THIS ROCKS   Logged

livvyloo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007 06:36:35 AM »

I want this to be known that those ARE NOT my crocs in the background of pic #2!!! Those are my mothers I swear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007 08:25:49 AM »

Very cute!  And welcome to your brand new addiction(s).  I'm not sure what I love more, crafting or craftster.  Anyways, welcome and congrats on the dress.  I love it, and your daughter is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007 08:31:43 AM »

Wow!  Perfect trim for the shirt/dress!!  Great job, and the ruffles on the shoulder straps look really good... I'm still having some trouble with mine.  Did you cut them wider or anything??  And what a cute model!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamakay
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007 09:03:37 AM »

It's very cute (love the eyelet!!) and so is the little model.  Don't worry at that age no one is still for very long unless they're sleeping--and mine even moved about in their sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livvyloo
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 02:47:27 PM »

***These pants were inspired by cheytown's button down shirt into dress, with the most fabulous tutorial found here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.100***

Here are some capri type pants that I made with the sleeves from my shirt to match the dress. I basically took the sleeves, laid them side by side and overlapped them on the inside a bit and then cut straight up the center of the crotch to the top. Then I stitched the middle of the legs together, added elastic to the waist and voila! They do fit my daughter but next time I will make them out of a bigger shirt and make them a bit longer.

Let me know what you think!
Front

Back

Matching dress

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007 09:32:35 PM by livvyloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 03:32:40 PM »

That is awesome!  I love the new addition.  I would love to see an action shot of the pants.  I have to admit that the action shots are my favorite.  Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007 06:17:37 PM »

The pants are GREAT!  I love making sleeve pants for my wee ones, but have only used stretchy knits before- great job using a non-stretch!!!   Smiley  *making mental note for next shirt/dress recon*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007 08:33:53 PM »

eeeeeee! what a great idea for the pants! brilliant! i love that you used the cuffs like that. too cute. can we pleeeeeeeeease see an action shot? i have some long-sleeved shirts ready to be cut up, and i was wondering what i could do with the sleeves. thanks for the inspiration.

the dress and wee one are adorable, too. but i can't say as much for those crocs! though i'm sure they look really cute on your mom. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LSTinVA
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007 09:10:26 PM »

Cute!  Cute!  I'd love a Tute!

L
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Fiction Issue Trailer
Just Winging It
Real-Life Consequences
Constricted Into Gender Roles
Jenette Kahn - First Female Comic Book Executive
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...