A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In need of advice  (Read 162 times)
Tags for this thread: help , selling , shop  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ramipalo
« on: August 26, 2014 09:23:18 PM »

It began with a simple enough idea.  I wanted something my kids would engage in, something that didn't have to be plugged in.  The idea wasn't good, but eventually it grew into something I was actually proud of.  People were always interested in it when they saw us out with one.  Then I opened up an etsy shop and became a small fish in a giant sea of sellers.  Maybe not even a fish, maybe its more like plankton. I don't know what steps to take from here. I don't get a lot of views to the shop, and I'm not sure how to go about changing that.  Any advice is welcome, as well as some constructive criticism about the shop and items.

shop is here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SKULLD/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014 04:03:03 AM »

You have an interesting product!

So where do you go from here? First, get out from in front of your computer looking for sales. You discovered something important. You're 'plankton' in the sea of Etsy.

Who do you want as your customer? Moms? Well, there's another group with lots pf spendable cash who will buy your product. Grandmothers! But grandma isn't gonna shop in a place with a name like "Skulld". Find a 'normal' name. Like "Rami's Studio" or "My First Wallet". Skulld has zero to do with your product.

Then, make about 50 or so pieces and sign up for a craft fair! Schools have them, especially in the fall. As a beginner, do a Bing images for craft fair displays and get ideas for yours.

You very well could make a few hundred dollars in one day at your first fair. And from there, the sky's the limit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
ramipalo
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014 05:15:23 AM »

Thanks for the input. I thought the same about the name, but it was probably the hardest part about this whole thing.  And because I started with a plan to sew stuff just for boys, I let the boys help me name the shop.  I've spent some time considering a change because I thought it might put people off.  So I will definitely spend some more time on this and come up with something different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadojake
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:37:42 PM »

Cute idea.  I agree that schools are a great place to market it.  How about other places like ... day cares, preschools, churches, informal play groups, MOPs (Mother's of Preschoolers) groups, homeschoolers, etc.  Homeschoolers happen to have lots of curriculum shows in every state where you could market your products.

I don't mind the name, knowing now how it came about.  However, it doesn't relate to the product and, as Chris said, grandma's might take offense or get confused.  Skulld kinda makes me think of stuff related to the head ... helmuts, ski caps, baseball caps, etc.

I noticed you used "Lego" in one of your names.  You may want to research the use of that.  It may be like trying to use any other licensed product (Disney, etc.) where you could get in lots of trouble.

I wish you the best in trying to get it out there.  It really is cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
ramipalo
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:43:27 PM »

Thanks, I changed the name, and I am happy about the new one.  I will also update to exclude lego because you're right about that too, and I don't want any problems.  I am going to see what information I can find about selling at school fairs and maybe church groups.  Thanks for your comment
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Gel Eyeliner
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Lady Gaga in 30 Secs
11 Easy Tricks to Simplify Your Makeup Routine
Get the Perfect Summer Tan ... No Sun Required
Beauty Product Must Haves for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...