A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 315,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing as a business  (Read 925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kalypso418
« on: June 13, 2015 07:58:15 AM »

I love to sew and for a few years now, have been trying to do it as a home business. What I can't figure out (among other things that I can discuss later) is how I can get a customer to choose their fabric designs? Obviously, I want the customer to choose their own fabric patterns. I am not a mind reader. But I also do not want to buy random or even receive just random samples of fabric. For example, I make pretend play aprons. i bought a bunch of fabric. I finally have a customer and they wanted 49ers fabric. I am not a sports fan, so I wouldn't even have thought to buy this fabric.

I guess my question is: is there a place online where I can direct customers to choose their fabric which has an excellent turn around time of less than a week?

What are other people doing to have customers choose the fabric? Do they buy it first or do they also redirect to somewhere online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adagia520
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015 05:57:55 AM »

So I make plushies and let people choose custom colors if they want but I only use solid colors. That way it's easy for me to keep options in stock and while a chevron or cake print might go out of style, yellow won't.

For your situation, I would use fabrics.com or joanns.com and let the customer choose which print they want and you order it. Spoonflower is great for truly unique and custom fabric but have longer turnaround. If you're ordering fabric just for them always get paid first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kalypso418
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015 08:32:47 AM »

I find that fabric.com and Joann.com take about 10 days to receive the fabric. Anyone know of a place where it comes within 7 days of ordering?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcsews
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016 09:18:18 PM »

don't forget to brand those masterpieces. labels and tags are essential for markets and road shows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Back for Fall: Must-Have Cashmere
Style Your Summer in Trina Turk Prints
Two Staples That Are Bringing Sexy Back
Look Hot, Stay Cool: 3 Essential Looks
The Perfect Way to Style Oversized Tops
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...